Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Whitetail hunters

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I started hunting 7 years ago with my wife's family. It was special like being invited into a fraternity. It was also special for them, because my father in law and brother in law were the only ones left in their hunting party. Ten years ago my wife's grandfather past away. He was of course part of the group that went hunting every year. After he past, the relatives that made up the hunting party had sort of a falling out, the grandfather was sort of the glue that held everyone together and when he died it all fell apart. So I was a bit of new blood, it made it a group again.

Harvey I would love to come out to North Dakota sometime and chase some muleys around, thank for the invite!!!

Hell Harvey...there are no Whitetails in Alaska and I'm here....

Some people just love to shoot and want trophies on the wall...some want food in the freezer..I just love to be out in the wild. Getting food in the freezer is a bonus. I have hunted with my father my entire life and now it might be the only time I see him during the year so those moments are pretty special.

A PackerRats hunting trip would be cool..anyone ever hunt Pronghorn?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    A PackerRats hunting trip would be cool..anyone ever hunt Pronghorn?
    I haven't, but there are a bunch of them out in the Badlands. I usually see pronghorn, turkey, coyotes, wild horses, fox, bison, pheasant, grouse, etc. That's another thing that's cool about being out there. No grizzlies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Harvey I would love to come out to North Dakota sometime and chase some muleys around, thank for the invite!!!
    It would be fun.

I will organize the hunting trip! Only if I can shoot a wild horse.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    It would be fun.

Only if you sucker punch me in the gut again after I have spent the night drinking. That would be awesome.

Doesn't the season start for ya this week Harv?

So have you ever seen killed a whitetail, Muley hybrid deer? You are supposed to have a couple of those out there. The Whitetail bucks can mate with the the muley does, but the Muley bucks can't catch the whitetail doe. The whitetails are too fast for the muley

Hey, do just get a deer tag, or does it specify between the muly or the Whitetail?

Supposed to be in the mid to upper 50s this weekend for the opener in North Dakota. Which isn't ideal for hunting or walking, but I guess it's better than 0. I've been there for 0 degrees and 75 degrees.

I'll be leaving in 10 minutes. I'm stoked.

Doesn't the season start for ya this week Harv?

So have you ever seen killed a whitetail, Muley hybrid deer? You are supposed to have a couple of those out there. The Whitetail bucks can mate with the the muley does, but the Muley bucks can't catch the whitetail doe. The whitetails are too fast for the muley

Hey, do just get a deer tag, or does it specify between the muly or the Whitetail?
    Leaving in 10 minutes. Season starts at noon on Friday. We go out there a day early to hunt birds and get camped set up.

I've heard of those hybrids, but I've never seen one.

You apply for zones. I believe you can get whatever, but I'm not sure about that. You pretty much only find muleys out in the Badlands. If they didn't do the raffles, everybody would go to the Badlands. We've gotten our licenses most years, but sometimes get denied. You can get a bunch of whitetails in other zones.

I got a little emotional reading your response there Harv. Maybe I'll put together some poetic discourse on it myself in the next few days.

I've been hunting whitetails since I was 4...mostly from a tree here in central Indiana. You can't use rifles here in Indiana, but that's fine with me because my first love is archery.

Archery season here in Indiana has several perks. First, its prior to gun season so you get first dibs on the wallhangers. Second, archery season usually goes through the climactic part of the rut -- the seeking phase -- and gun season usually opens during the actual climax of the rut. As any knowledgable hunter will tell you, the seeking phase is where its at. After those bucks have found their tail, they hunker down and get to business.

I do hunt during gun season, but I use a smokepole. Its a beautiful Thompson Center White Mountain Carbine...no not one of those inline deals, this one is about 15 years old but in great shape...and she's got about 25 kills to her name too.

As far as this season goes, we're still in Archery until the 17th. I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps), but unfortunately I've nicked two as well. I haven't seen any bucks worth shooting at, but once I do, I can assure you, if I can pull the trigger on my release before the egger gets the best of me, I'll have pictures to show everybody.

There's my two cents...and worth every penny if you ask me.
    It feels like a koala bear just crapped a rainbow in my brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaFours
    I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps),
    I'm freaking salivating......

Thats funny man...the little Sitka Blacktail I hunt in Kodiak might get me 40 pounds of backstraps. But man are they good eating.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps),
    I'm freaking salivating......

Thats funny man...the little Sitka Blacktail I hunt in Kodiak might get me 40 pounds of backstraps. But man are they good eating.
    I won't get 120 lbs of backstraps...that was just a combination of the actual weight of the doe and the most coveted portion. I'll probably only get about 20-30 lbs of backstraps (and tenderloins), but I'll keep them whole and grill them wrapped in bacon.

How's the salivating now?

I won't get 120 lbs of backstraps...that was just a combination of the actual weight of the doe and the most coveted portion. I'll probably only get about 20-30 lbs of backstraps (and tenderloins), but I'll keep them whole and grill them wrapped in bacon.
    I was reading that and thinking, There's no way he's getting 50 lbs. of tenderloin much less 120lbs. Glad you cleared that up.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by Packface
    I was reading that and thinking, There's no way he's getting 50 lbs. of tenderloin much less 120lbs. Glad you cleared that up.
    It'd sure be nice though. A guy can dream, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Packface
    It'd sure be nice though. A guy can dream, eh?
    Yeah, there is nothing better than fresh kill Venision tenderloin medallions seasoned and grilled during hunting season

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland

Now you see, this is the part about hunting I don't get... (I grew up in a deer/moose/elk/antelope/partridge/duck/goose....hunting family)....you probably have been feeding the deer... apples, turnips, corn, whatever...so the deer come to this spot. Then you sit in a tree and shoot them. Where is the sport in this? I'm not condeming hunting, or anyone who participates in it, but I just don't get it.
    i'm with you, I don't understand the excitement of sitting in a tree stand for hours on end, freezing, either. I don't at all condone hunters...several members of my family hunt, too and I know they enjoy it. Just personally, you couldn't pay me to sit out in the woods and do that. I'll take a stick of venision anytime though

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers

Leaving in 10 minutes. Season starts at noon on Friday. We go out there a day early to hunt birds and get camped set up.
    You shoot birds? Do you eat them?

? HOFer
    I really want to go bow hunting. I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame. I would carry a sidearm in case of a cougar or bear shows up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I really want to go bow hunting. I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame. I would carry a sidearm in case of a cougar or bear shows up, though.
    Good luck trying to still hunt with a bow. It can be done but you better start now and in ten years you might be good enough to sneak with in 20 yards of a deer. I would laugh at the bear or cougar comment, but I do believe there are cougar in Wisconsin. Black bear usually won't bother you unless you come between a mother and her cub.

Every year during gun season I spend about half my time still hunting and I have yet to shoot a deer, yes I have spooked about two dozen, and probably another 50 that I never even got to see. It is hard as shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame.
    Deer Hunting is all about putting yourself in a good position. If you are going to be walking around, it better be on the top of a ridge or hill, so you can get a shot off at something below you. Sitting in a tree stand that offers a great view of a heavily traveled deer trail is your best bet though.