Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling Whitetail hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Packface
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I want to walk around and do it though. This sitting in the tree garbage seems lame.
    Deer Hunting is all about putting yourself in a good position. If you are going to be walking around, it better be on the top of a ridge or hill, so you can get a shot off at something below you. Sitting in a tree stand that offers a great view of a heavily traveled deer trail is your best bet though.
    ...and a great opportunity to decompress from the everyday grind, catch up on some good reading, watch the blue jay's bully the red birds, get within 3 feet of an unsuspecting squirrel, and if you're lucky enough, succeed in your primary objective.

But honestly, there is so much more than sitting in a tree in the cold. You wear clothes to keep warm and the cold usually isn't an issue. having a vantage point is a great way to ehance your perspective on so much more than what's going on in the woods.

I don't expect non-hunters to understand, nor do I want to convince them that this sport is enjoyable. Hell, its hard enough to get access to hunting land the way it is, why would I want to make that endeavor even harder?
    It feels like a koala bear just crapped a rainbow in my brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaFours
    Hell, its hard enough to get access to hunting land the way it is, why would I want to make that endeavor even harder?
    I've wondered that...about the abundance of hunting land available. At least in WI. In the Eagle River area, my Dad and brother own about 500 acres of land. It's posted "no hunting" everywhere, but every year they see hunters in there. One even walked through my brothers backyard. I mean 25 feet away from someone's backdoor carrying a firearm. When my sister in law confronted them about it, they said they have every right to track their deer. It was obvious they were drunk and she said the last thing she is going to do is argue with a drunk with a gun in his hand. Shit like that pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFours
    As far as this season goes, we're still in Archery until the 17th. I've already nailed down one doe (120 lbs of backstraps), but unfortunately I've nicked two as well.
    I have a problem with bow hunting. It's too difficult to get a deadly shot, too much suffering for the animals. Even with a good shot, very often it is necessary to track-down the wounded animal. I imagine bow hunting is very challenging and satisfying, but is it worth it?

I know nature is just one damn thing after another. From Blue Jays attacking the nests of smaller birds, to killer bunnies shredding apart unsuspecting moose. But humans can consider the suffering of other creatures.

Does the issue of animal suffering take away some of the appeal of bow hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Does the issue of animal suffering take away some of the appeal of bow hunting?
    When hunting, tracking a wounded animal is always a possibility reguardless off the weapon used. The weapon used isn't as important as where you hit them with your bullet or arrow.

The problem you have should be with hunters that are poor shots and don't track deer they wound. (I don't know anyone like this but I'm sure they exist)
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

I have a problem with bow hunting. It's too difficult to get a deadly shot, too much suffering for the animals. Even with a good shot, very often it is necessary to track-down the wounded animal.
    spoken like a person who has never shot or seen a bow and arrow with a three sided razorblade for an arrowhead.

spoken like a person who has never shot or seen a bow and arrow with a three sided razorblade for an arrowhead.
    Come on. Nutz just talked about how tough it is to bow hunt. And Lafours said he nicked several deer before he killed one. I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals.

I am not a bow hunter but have hunted with many including as backup. 30 years ago when I was guiding part time I had to shoot 60-70 percent of the moose that a client shot with a bow, today that number is much lower...a friend has a bow that will put an arrow through a big bull moose. It's the idiots that cant shoot strait that are the problem now. I've had someone take a big brown bear with a bow, he was a damn good shot and we still had to track the pissed off bear for a mile. Thankfully it had bled out when we got to it.
    C.H.U.D.

Come on. Nutz just talked about how tough it is to bow hunt. And Lafours said he nicked several deer before he killed one. I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals.
    Nutz said it was hard to "Still" bow hunt. He was describing to Partial how hard it is to walk around on foot and sneak up on them or have them walk by you while you are standing still.
    As far as why Lafour is nicking them.......He needs to practice more or wait for a better shot.

"I've talked with enough bow hunters to know that its often a pretty grim end for the animals."

Talk to some butchers about how they kill cows and chickens and get back to me.

Talk to some butchers about how they kill cows and chickens and get back to me.
    The food industry is under a lot of pressure to treat animals humanely. It's a work in progress. For instance, they kill pigs with lethal injections. (My brother worked in a slaughter house back in the 70's and things were rough back then.)

Butchers don't kill animals by wounding them first. Lets have an honest discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I've had someone take a big brown bear with a bow, he was a damn good shot and we still had to track the pissed off bear for a mile. Thankfully it had bled out when we got to it.

See, now this is sort-off a best case scenario. An excellent bow-hunter makes a good shot. But still the animal suffers a long time.

The honest answer from the hunter has to be, "I don't give a shit if the animal suffers." OK. Or maybe it does bother the hunter somewhat. I am just curious.

I was just thinking about American Indians. They worshipped the animals they killed. Thanked them for bringing them sustenance. There was respect for life there.

Killing for sport is different. I'm not against hunting. But bow hunting bothers me, it seems like there is no respect for the animal as another feeling creature. Head buried in sand.

I was just thinking about American Indians. They worshipped the animals they killed. Thanked them for bringing them sustenance. There was respect for life there.

Killing for sport is different. I'm not against hunting. But bow hunting bothers me, it seems like there is no respect for the animal as another feeling creature. Head buried in sand.
    I'm strictley a subsistence hunter these days.....even though I could afford to buy all my food. I love to be out in the wilds..and I love to eat wild game. I "get" why people bow hunt...I would never do it but I understand the "sporting" aspect of it. I believe in fair chase and killing them quick.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I'm strictley a subsistence hunter these days.....even though I could afford to buy all my food. I love to be out in the wilds..and I love to eat wild game. I "get" why people bow hunt...I would never do it but I understand the "sporting" aspect of it. I believe in fair chase and killing them quick.
    I understand hunting, fishing. Its in our genes.

I used to trap, for god's sake. I collected pelts like Jeff Dahmer. It was just a Daniel Boone fantasy.

I don't see how it is possible to have "fair chase and killing them quick" with bow hunting. Well, I guess the chase part is more than fair.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    I'm a bow hunter. the reason i started was to be in the woods longer than the two weeks we get for rifle season. Now i love it because you get to see them in a more natural state. their not running spoked cause everyone and their brother is taking shots at them. You watch them much longer. I won't take a shot unless its within 25-30 yards.

every deer taken is going to suffer. unless you are shooting them in the head with a bazooka.....might be a little messy. Most deer don't die right after they are shot. if you wanted that you should tie them up, hold their head still and shoot them point blank. but i guess that wouldn't be hunting, that would be a slaughter house.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

The funny thing is we have better equipment in terms of bow hunting than the Indians and most bow hunters are the most technically sound and most respectful of the animals they hunt.

Putting a razor sharp broad head in to the heart and lungs will kill a deer just as fast as .30 caliber bullet. The only difference is the impact of the bullet, the shock will knock the deer down where it will bleed out. The arrow will do the same damage but it of course doesn't have the same impact as an object traveling 2800 feet per second, the deer will bleed out in about the same time but it will be running instead of just laying there. Whats the difference?

Ethical bow hunters will never take a suspect shot, will hopefully wait until the deer is broadside and less than 35 yards away. Most won't shoot a deer that is more than 25 yards away. I can't speak for all hunters or bow hunters, but taking a less than ethical shot on an animal is questionable at best.

Would hunting be fun if you went out in the woods with paint ball guns?
    If you look at Harvey's description of why hunting is so enjoyable, not much changes.

I know it is different to JUST go out in nature to explore and observe, or hunt with a camera. There is some primal satisfaction in actually killing for food.

Maybe in 100 years hunting will be done with something like paint ball guns. I say that because the wilderness areas seem to be shrinking, not because there are too many hunters.

And attitudes towards animals are continually changing. A hundred years ago, the buffalo herds got slaughtered by people shooting at them from trains.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Would hunting be fun if you went out in the woods with paint ball guns?

I haven't aquired the taste for paint.

ya, paintball hunting does seem a little ridiculous.

but real hunting is ridiculous too. it's a bit like dressing-up and pretending to be Daniel Boone, or playing cowboys and Indians. Not unlike those Renissaince Fairs, where people act-out the ways of hundreds of years ago.

But I think hunting is a good thing, it reconnects people to the earth, reminds us we are part of nature. Killing for food is nature. I'm for anything that gets people out in the woods.

Der it is boys. Da turdy point buck.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    ya, paintball hunting does seem a little ridiculous.

but real hunting is ridiculous too. it's a bit like dressing-up and pretending to be Daniel Boone, or playing cowboys and Indians. Not unlike those Renissaince Fairs, where people act-out the ways of hundreds of years ago.

But I think hunting is a good thing, it reconnects people to the earth, reminds us we are part of nature. Killing for food is nature. I'm for anything that gets people out in the woods.
    Some people may think throwing an oblong ball made of dead cow skin is a bit ridiculous as well, but I enjoy it.

Why is it ridiculous to kill a deer or any animal when you eat there sustenance that their body has given for you? It is no different than the Indians for me, granted for some it is a trophy and that is it, which is sad.

I enjoy the fact that I can enjoy venison knowing exactly what it wasliving on because I emptied its stomach while gutting it, I know that I am eating the exact animal, instead of a package of ground beef that was most likely made from dozens if not hundreds, maybe thousands of different cows.

I could list a hundred different reasons why I hunt, but I don't have to ever buy johnsonville brats or sausages again if I don't want to, that is reason enough.