Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Calling Whitetail hunters

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Shot my buck on opening morning. four pointer year and 1/2 old. another guy in camp got a spike and the other a doe. all opening morning. hunted two more full days and didn't see a thing.

pulled up on my buck and pulled the trigger but no bang! damn shell didn't fire. had to rack in a second shell and he still hung around.

Wisconsin season opens the saturday before thanksgiving, right?

the truck befor us at the DNR check stations had a doe that was 9 yrs old! He said that a couple years back he shot a 14 yr old doe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Coyotes are getting up their numbers again, and I think the wolf population is coming back up North, they will slowly trickle down in about twenty years, but right now outside of Coyotes, the deer have no real predator.
    I have heard that wolf normally don't occupy the same territories as coyotes, is this true?

You aren't kidding about the Coyote population though. I was out riding my 4 wheeler on the land that my family has near Eagle River and I'm tearing along and suddenly I see this "dog" standing in the middle of the trail...I'm like "WTF is a dog doing out here?"...and then the "dog" actually started coming towards me and when I realized what it was, I turned the F around and got out of there. Turns out there is a sand pit in the area and many coyotes have their dens built into the side of the hill. This was in spring, the time when the pups are born. So, it was Mama being protectful.

My brothers dogs have also been chased by the coyotes in the area. The DNR has been informed of the increasing population in the area, but I don't think there is anything they can really do. They are coming closer and closer to the houses though. Only a matter of time before someone gets attacked.

The bear population up there is also getting out of control. My parents have to take in their bird feeders each night because of this.

My brother has seen 4 wolf this year....before this year, he's never seen any.

I'll take the city life - ty.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    GB, i think your mixing the two up a bit. I cannot imagine a coyotes attacking you. unless they are just trying to protect themselves. I'd be a bit careful if you've got small or gimping dogs. They would make an easy meal. They don't usually take a heathy deer down. usually the sick or weak. Wolf on the other hand will. They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.

Just got back from a successful Thanksgiving romp into the wilderness. My brother bagged a 10-point and my brother-in-law bagged a huge doe.
    It feels like a koala bear just crapped a rainbow in my brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.
    That's a lot of Venison steaks! Wolves usually look kinda scraggly, they must have high metabolisms, or do a lot of cardio.

Coyotes have adapted remarkably well in the Portland Metro area. They present a "problem" for owners of cats and small dogs whose owners let them outside. The pets make easy prey for the wily and quick coyotes.

Pet owners who want game wardens to eradicate the "Coyote problem" are reminded that it is people who have invaded their habitat. It is not coyotes who have invaded human's habitat.

Personally, I have had half a dozen episodes the past few years where I have seen coyotes.

It is extremely rare where a coyote will attack a human. They generally run away when they come withing sight of a person.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    The pets make easy prey for the wily and quick coyotes.
    do the wily coyotes drop rocks on their heads from great heights, or tie dynamite to them?

Never seen a coyote outside a zoo, but I have run across a few foxes, and the ones that aren't rabid are pretty cute.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Just got back last night from an early morning hunt on thanksgiving and shot a 6 pointer. It was a year and a half deer with a really big body, I saw antlers, and quickly took my eyes off them and concentrated on the body. It was a long body deer so I thought it was older. Probably would have passed if I had more time to glass the deer. Well meat in the freezer, and if I didn't shoot it, someone else would have regardless of age. I am going to ask my neighbors about going to QDM, I doubt it will go over well.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    The bear population up there is also getting out of control. My parents have to take in their bird feeders each night because of this.
    Speaking of Bears.....

Per JSO

Deer hunter attacked by black bear

Birchwood - A deer hunter in northwestern Wisconsin is recovering after being jumped by a black bear.

Jim Zemaitis, 40, said the bear attacked when he was on a deer drive with his hunting group Thursday in Nice Lake Marsh near Birchwood.

At first he said he just saw a black spot and thought it was a burned stump, but soon learned it wasn't.

"I saw teeth and then it reared up on its hind legs, charged me and I rolled over into a ball, started screaming," he said.

He put his hands over his head.

"Pretty soon I felt the bear on me and then chomp, chomp," he said.

His cousin Rick Zemaitis said he heard his screams and found his cousin with a bear on his back.

Rick Zemaitis said he was able to scare away the bear.

"I've been bitten by dogs but it feels more like a clamping instead of a biting," Jim Zemaitis said.

He suffered puncture wounds, three stitches and a lot of bruises.

According to the state Department of Natural Resources Web site, adult male bears can weigh up to 500 pounds and females up to 450 pounds.

Around 11,000 black bears live in mostly the northern part of the state.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    Coyotes are getting up their numbers again, and I think the wolf population is coming back up North, they will slowly trickle down in about twenty years, but right now outside of Coyotes, the deer have no real predator.
    I have heard that wolf normally don't occupy the same territories as coyotes, is this true?

You aren't kidding about the Coyote population though. I was out riding my 4 wheeler on the land that my family has near Eagle River and I'm tearing along and suddenly I see this "dog" standing in the middle of the trail...I'm like "WTF is a dog doing out here?"...and then the "dog" actually started coming towards me and when I realized what it was, I turned the F around and got out of there. Turns out there is a sand pit in the area and many coyotes have their dens built into the side of the hill. This was in spring, the time when the pups are born. So, it was Mama being protectful.

My brothers dogs have also been chased by the coyotes in the area. The DNR has been informed of the increasing population in the area, but I don't think there is anything they can really do. They are coming closer and closer to the houses though. Only a matter of time before someone gets attacked.

My brother has seen 4 wolf this year....before this year, he's never seen any.

I'll take the city life - ty.
    Here is watch you do when you see a coyote, Shoot the shit out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    Speaking of Bears.....

Per JSO

Deer hunter attacked by black bear

Birchwood - A deer hunter in northwestern Wisconsin is recovering after being jumped by a black bear.

Jim Zemaitis, 40, said the bear attacked when he was on a deer drive with his hunting group Thursday in Nice Lake Marsh near Birchwood.

At first he said he just saw a black spot and thought it was a burned stump, but soon learned it wasn't.

"I saw teeth and then it reared up on its hind legs, charged me and I rolled over into a ball, started screaming," he said.

He put his hands over his head.

"Pretty soon I felt the bear on me and then chomp, chomp," he said.

His cousin Rick Zemaitis said he heard his screams and found his cousin with a bear on his back.

Rick Zemaitis said he was able to scare away the bear.

"I've been bitten by dogs but it feels more like a clamping instead of a biting," Jim Zemaitis said.

He suffered puncture wounds, three stitches and a lot of bruises.

According to the state Department of Natural Resources Web site, adult male bears can weigh up to 500 pounds and females up to 450 pounds.

Around 11,000 black bears live in mostly the northern part of the state.
    Dayum. I thought Bears would be hibernating by now?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    GB, i think your mixing the two up a bit. I cannot imagine a coyotes attacking you. unless they are just trying to protect themselves. I'd be a bit careful if you've got small or gimping dogs. They would make an easy meal. They don't usually take a heathy deer down. usually the sick or weak. Wolf on the other hand will. They estimate that an average wolf will take between 30-50 deer a year.
    I'm sure anything will attack if they are trying to protect their young. Coyotes have chased my nieces who were out in this same field. They have chased their dogs and one did start coming towards me while I was on my 4 wheeler. My brother has lived in this area for 20+ years and never has had problem with coyotes up until the past year or so.

Interesting. I've never known coyotes to get close to humans. They keep their distance. It's VERY rare for a coyote to attack a human, and I'd have to believe there were special circumstances.

Found this snippet on Coyote attacks.........

Coyote attacks on humans have increased within the past 5 years in California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes begin to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.

There is currently only one recorded fatal attack on a human. In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked a toddler, who despite being rescued by her father, died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley