Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JS- SAL PAL says Favre overrated ??

Blog Entries

JS- SAL PAL says Favre overrated ??

The Drill: The Paolantonio Report
    Reporter says Favre is overrated
    Posted: Nov. 25, 2007
    ESPN's Sal Paolantonio is the author of the new book, "The Paolantonio Report: The Most Overrated and Underrated Players, Teams, Coaches & Moments in NFL History." Here are his five most overrated quarterbacks of all-time:

1. Joe Namath: His legend has much more to do with his Super Bowl III performance and his prolific off-field antics than his career stats.

2. Brett Favre: His image in the media has been hyperinflated to the good ol' boy routine, and that's why people like him.

3. Terry Bradshaw: He was ultimately an average quarterback who was surrounded by the greatest cast of talent ever assembled on one NFL roster, including eight Hall of Fame players.

4. Ken Stabler: His only accomplishment was winning the 1976 Super Bowl where the Raiders mostly ran and the defense stifled Fran Tarkenton.

5. Tony Romo: He barely made the team, and after one season of play he became a full-fledged superstar without really accomplishing anything to deserve it.

bullshit.

someone fire him now.

Okay. So people like him because he's got a good image from the media.

How does that make him an overrated QB?

I think the:
    - 3 MVPs
    - 1 Super Bowl Ring
    - All the passing records (except yards....for now)
    - All time wins
    - Iron Man Streak

All would say differently.

Give me a fucking break, Sal.

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SD GB fan
    bullshit.

someone fire him now.
    [Mr. Spacely] Paolantonio ... YOU'RE FIRED!!! [/Mr. Spacely]

(Paolantonio ----->)

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantPage55

I think the:
    - 3 MVPs
    - 1 Super Bowl Ring
    - All time wins
    - Iron Man Streak

Agreed.

And he also misses the boat on Romo. Romo did not "barely make the team"---I recall some murmurs coming out of Dallas' training camp last year that Romo looked better than Bledsoe and should take the starting job right out of the gate. I remember being less-than-surprised when Romo took over later in the year and played well, because of what I had heard earlier.

And this shows the danger in making bold pronouncements while history is still being written. This book was probably written many months ago. Favre and Romo both are making him look like a moron with the seasons they're having.

Speaking of which, I wrote an article for Packerrats a couple of weeks ago and submitted it to our editor:

Now---before it sees "print,"---things are occurring that will make some of my own bold assertions look foolish. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idle_threat
    Favre and Romo both are making him look like a moron with the seasons they're having.
    Mr. Paolantonio can do that without any help, thank you.

I've always thought he was someone that preferred stirring things up for no good reason to more quietly getting the facts straight. I particularly remember him at Lambeau Field the night Mike Holmgren returned for the first time as coach of the Seahawks. He kept trying to goad the fans into saying how they hated and resented Holmgren for leaving. To their credit, every single fan he talked to said something like "Well, no! We understand why he left, and we're grateful for the success we had with him, and other than against the Packers, we wish him well". He works with such a huge Philly-style chip the size of a 2X4 on his shoulder and is baffled that others don't look at the world that way. He's easily my least favorite personality on ESPN and mainly functions as a Grade A s--t stirrer.
    There. I feel better.
    Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another.
    Vince Lombardi

he said this about a month and a half ago in regards to his new book
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!

Saying it a month and a half ago was just as silly as saying it now.

2. Brett Favre: His image in the media has been hyperinflated to the good ol' boy routine, and that's why people like him.
    Can't quite figure out how this should make him overrated.

Sorry Sal, not ALL of America want only the gang banger, shoot em up, criminals playing NFL football.

And "routine"? I think that's who Favre really is.....a good ol' boy.

Where's McNabb on your list Sal? Oh...that's right...you are a PHILLY guy.

Senior Rat All-Pro FritzDontBlitz's Avatar
    I think his view of Favre shows a personal bias. If you've ever watched Paolantonio he gets a disgusted look on his face every time he has to go to Lambeau.

I think his evaluation of Romo is even worse: how can you be one of the "top 5 overrated qb's of all time" after not even being a starter for a full season?

He must have meant Tom Brady.

Waits for it.......waits for it......
    Always respect your opponent, even when you're kicking the crap outta him.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Sal just wants to be relevant, and the cheap way is to make an Over/Under rated list and make a book out of it. He can make broad claims and cherry picking stats to make his point. He's been a virtual nobody for quite some time and this is his way of making himself relevant again. These things always cause a lot of talk and controversy.

Just a money making opportunity for him, nothing more.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by FritzDontBlitz
    I think his view of Favre shows a personal bias.
    Of course it is. Sal is one of the most biased guys in the business, and I have yet to see him really offer anything worthy of interest as an ESPN reporter.

Philly OOZES out of his pores, so it isn't shocking that Favre, Romo and Bradshaw make his list...the Packers and Cowboys have been the Eagles largest rivals in the last decade, and the Steelers are the Eagles in-state rival. Way to hide that Eagle green, Sal.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    He's using Favre and Romo to sell books, if you think about it. Why did he pick them? Are they not two of the hottest names? Easy targets...stirs up a shit storm with their respective fan bases. It's cheap tactics. Favre doesn't need to explain anything to anyone. He just does it on the field. Sure, he had a lot of success 10 years ago, but he's still relevant, and that's not overrated in my book. Sal needs to immerse himself in the records for a moment, and not focus on superficial personal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idle_threat
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantPage55

I think the:
    - 3 MVPs
    - 1 Super Bowl Ring
    - All time wins
    - Iron Man Streak

Agreed.

And he also misses the boat on Romo. Romo did not "barely make the team"---I recall some murmurs coming out of Dallas' training camp last year that Romo looked better than Bledsoe and should take the starting job right out of the gate. I remember being less-than-surprised when Romo took over later in the year and played well, because of what I had heard earlier.

And this shows the danger in making bold pronouncements while history is still being written. This book was probably written many months ago. Favre and Romo both are making him look like a moron with the seasons they're having.

Speaking of which, I wrote an article for Packerrats a couple of weeks ago and submitted it to our editor:

Now---before it sees "print,"---things are occurring that will make some of my own bold assertions look foolish. Oh well.
    Umm, romo did just barely make the team. I don't know what you are talking about, Bledsoe wasn't even in the picture when romo started with the cowboys.

He was a 3rd stringer, behind such notables as Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson.

He wouldn't have even been on the roster the following year if QC didn't get suspended for drugs. They had traded for Drew Henson and had Vinnie on the squad. Sorry, but they weren't going to keep 4 qbs.

The point Sal is making is that he was a SUPERSTAR out of the gate without having to prove himself.

I have to agree. If he wasn't playing in Dallas there is no way that he woulda been a superstar right away. Not saying he doesn't deserve it NOW, but that isn't Sal's point.

As for Favre. i'm in semi agreement. He isn't denigrating his QB skills at all. Just saying that his good ol boy legend has overtaken everything else. No one remembers his calling out team mates when he certainly wouldn't have liked that done to him, his poor decision making, his drug problems, his drinking problems, his ever constant should i retire, keep the team in suspense act.

Do i love Favre. OF COURSE. But, the myth is a bit much to take. And, the constant fawning over him is a bit nauseating. To think that Favre personfies everything that is good/just/right in the NFL/America is just ridiculous.

This is the way to draw attention to yourself:

1. Make an outrageous statemetnt
    2. Upset and anger people
    3. Get the upset and angry people to talk about your statement

This idiot is just saying this to draw attention to himself and sell books.

I hope sales are very low. He's kind of like Hannity and O'Reilly - he just says things to upset people and draw attention to himself.

Namath was overrated. Bradshaw was a tad overrated. Only because he was awful for several years. By the end of his career, he was very good. Not sure about Stabler. I think Archie Manning is overrated. Favre is not overrated. Most thinks he's one of the top 5 QBs ever, and he deserves that billing. He's underrated by anybody who thinks he's not top 5. Too early to tell on Romo, but I think he has the potential to be an excellent QB.

Who was on the underrated list? Two of my favorites were Lynn Dickey and Neil Lomax.

I was very underrated. I'm the greatest QB ever.

Toughen up people! People have been riding Favre's bandwagon to cash in for years. First to marvel at the young QB. Then to anoint him King (though I doubt a majority have him top 5 all time Harvey). Then to pronounce him a drama queen. Then to pronounce him dead.

Sal has been making this assertion since the book was released in AUGUST! He compared Favre's statistics to Vick's for a stretch of the 2000s. Shocker, they were close, especially after the 4-12 disaster.

In other news, Dan Marino not a Hall of Famer if you look only at the last four years of his career.

I usually like Sal, but this book seems a cop out for him. He's a print reporter by trade and his stuff was balanced by a jaded view of all sporting cliches. I liked his almost obvious contempt for conventional rationale and wisdom.

Unfortunately, this book dives right into that end of that pool. By publishing his own take on the best/worst/rated, he looks foolish after the passage of time.

I'd be curious to see if he owns up to the mistake or takes the easy route and claims they aren't HIS ratings, he's just commenting.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

All he wants is publicity and he will get it with statements like that.
    Pass Jessica's Law and keep the predators behind bars for 25 years minimum. Vote out liberal, SP judges. Enforce all immigrant laws!