Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Top Five Favorite Books?

Guiness; Yeah, loved Koontz's Lightning book also.
    May have to re-read that, been a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCollins
    I pretty much just read to my kids at this point. Hand, Hand, Finger, Thumb etc.....
    Been there, done that.............................................. ..........................
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

I still quote Dr. Seuss involuntarily.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by "Iron Mike
    Been there, done that.............................................. ..........................

mike, isn't that the book where they keep saying "the big nutbrown hare, and the "little nutbrown hare"?

I'm was wondering the other day if he was really the furry white rabbit, before the big black bear got ahold of him??

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    How about On The Road by Jack Kerouac? On of my all time favorites, especially when your a twenty year old college student that doesn't know what the fuck to do with his life! It made my little life alot easier back then.

I would also have to throw in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

The last really good book I read was titled Mafia Summer. I love mob books, even more than mob movies.

For anyone that likes sports and fiction, go to your library and check out the Youngest Hero by Jerry Jenkins. It ain't gonna when no award but its a good read.

[quote="Guiness"]What's that, three? Well, no one has mentioned Tom Clancy's Red October yet. It's great.[\quote]

I read the Clancy's series when I was in the military. Its a good read, the earlier books are better than his current installments. When he had Ryan become President, I lost interest.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Atlas Shrugged - Rand
    Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
    War and Peace - Tolstoy
    Foundation - Asimov
    Summertide - Sheffield
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

[quote="pacfan"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    What's that, three? Well, no one has mentioned Tom Clancy's Red October yet. It's great.[\quote]

I read the Clancy's series when I was in the military. Its a good read, the earlier books are better than his current installments. When he had Ryan become President, I lost interest.

Actually I thought Red Storm Rising was better than Red October...altough both were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Badgepack
    Hey Rastak,

OT here but,

Your a Queens fan right?

What did you think of signing Baskett, I really wanted him on the packers?

They signed a few UFA that I liked, including him. They had the whole 6th and 7th rounds to get ready for the signings.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak
    It was excellent as was Angels and Demons...both outstanding. I also listened to Dan Browns other book, I forget the name but it was a very good thriller.
    Digital Fortress???
    No Ziggy was right...deception point...I havn't gotten to that one yet.

I don' t read all that much, I spend too much time watching movies and farting around on internet. But everytime I read a book, it is a great adventure, and I tell myself, "Man, I gotta do more of this."

I think people who love to read tend to read ALL KINDS of stuff. Classics, detective novels, mysteries, romance novels. Real readers devour everthing. Lazy readers like me try and pick only "good books", thinking I got to make every book count.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    The last really good book I read was titled Mafia Summer. I love mob books, even more than mob movies.
    Underboss by Sammy the Bull and Peter Maas is one of my all time favorites. Wiseguy from Nicholas Pileggi with Henry Hill is outstanding, also - even though you know the basic story from Goodfellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I don' t read all that much, I spend too much time watching movies and farting around on internet. But everytime I read a book, it is a great adventure, and I tell myself, "Man, I gotta do more of this."

I think people who love to read tend to read ALL KINDS of stuff. Classics, detective novels, mysteries, romance novels. Real readers devour everthing. Lazy readers like me try and pick only "good books", thinking I got to make every book count.
    LOL...Me too...It's like a chore to get started but then I can't put it down. Real readers can't wait to pick it up...

WTF is wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCollins
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby

LOL...Me too...It's like a chore to get started but then I can't put it down. Real readers can't wait to pick it up...

WTF is wrong with them.

I listen to audio books rather than read them. I can be doing things and still listen...I just don't have the time to completely dedicate to reading.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Atlas Shrugged - Rand
    I figured that's where the user name came from............

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey

mike, isn't that the book where they keep saying "the big nutbrown hare, and the "little nutbrown hare"?

I'm was wondering the other day if he was really the furry white rabbit, before the big black bear got ahold of him??
    Laugh all you want......I can tell you've read that book!!!!!

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey

Laugh all you want......I can tell you've read that book!!!!!
    yep, many times!! he loves that book, and i laugh about the big black bear every time

I totally forgot about NON-fiction. So these are some of my favorites:

Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War Michale MacLear
    A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century Barbara Tuchman
    Son of the Morning Star Evan S. Connell
    "What's one more torpedo in a sinking ship?"
    Lynn Dickey, 1984

"Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness."
    John Wayne, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

Harley FLHRC Rat Veteran AtlPackFan's Avatar
    Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit - Tolkein
    Harry Potter series - Rowling
    The Borne Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum - Ludlum