Did any of you watch the Monday Night Football Field conditions in Pittsburgh during the Steelers-Dolphins game?

For those of you who did not see it, prior to the game there were very heavy rains. Compounding the problem was an entire layer of fresh sod which was laid on the field just a few days before the game.

The fresh sod did not take root and did not allow proper drainage. There was standing pools of water on the field. When players were even walking in the fresh sod, they left 2-3" footprints.

Pittsburgh made a field goal in the final minute to win the game 3-0. As you would expect by the low score, the conditions made the play very sloppy.

I had to cringe for the field maintenance crew. For three spring-summer seasons, I was the Field Maintenance Coordinator for the local Little League in our community. This included both baseball and softball teams.

I organized other parent volunteers in mowing, raking, and marking lines for six diamonds. I especially remember trying to rake and dry the dirt portions of the diamonds during the Oregon rainy spring weather.

Those field maintenance guys must have been sick to have seen the field ripped up like that.