Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for an interview

? HOFer

Preparing for an interview

Do you guys have any tips on preparing for an interview? I've never had a serious interview before. My two other internships were pretty much by virtue of my mom working for the company, and now I have a big time interview on Friday. I have interviewed for Sears, Best Buy, etc but those aren't professional jobs.

One thing I am kind of worried about is whether I am as qualified as they'd like. I am applying for a position as a java developer intern, but I have only done java for one semester in school. I have however done three total semesters of Object-oriented programing, so I figure I can take some time to study java and pick up some of it very quickly.

What should I wear? What should I bring? I have a few sample programs written in java from a class I took, but they are fairly unimpressive since they're rather basic. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!

Re: Preparing for an interview

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Do you guys have any tips on preparing for an interview? I've never had a serious interview before. My two other internships were pretty much by virtue of my mom working for the company, and now I have a big time interview on Friday. I have interviewed for Sears, Best Buy, etc but those aren't professional jobs.

One thing I am kind of worried about is whether I am as qualified as they'd like. I am applying for a position as a java developer intern, but I have only done java for one semester in school. I have however done three total semesters of Object-oriented programing, so I figure I can take some time to study java and pick up some of it very quickly.

What should I wear? What should I bring? I have a few sample programs written in java from a class I took, but they are fairly unimpressive since they're rather basic. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!
    I know nothing about Java programming but I will tell you to go in wearing a nice well fitted business suit and NOT DRUNK OR HUNG OVER! Don't start spinning any BS or start cracking jokes. What did they ask you to bring? I'm assuming you have submitted a resume or a portfolio already? Don't worry to much about being under qualified...If they like you you'll get the job. You cracker/programmer types can pick that shit up fast.
    C.H.U.D.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not what you know it's who you know so holler out to your homies and classmates for any lead you can get. I would say wear a suit but depending on the environment that could be over doing it.

BTW - Get rid of the stupid ass glasses.

? HOFer
    There is nothing wrong with my glasses!

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker

BTW - Get rid of the stupid ass glasses.
    Is partial a pocket protector kind of a guy?
    C.H.U.D.

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.
    Black and white is not business attire.
    C.H.U.D.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Just try your hardest to be normal. That's a very rare but very desirable quality in software engineers

Look them in the eye. Emphasize that you are eager to learn.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Oh and good luck.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out

Black and white is not business attire.
    Well, it is a black suit with pin stripes. I will have to try and match a shirt and tie with it today at work.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    Oh and good luck.
    Thanks

Dont go in trying to be buddy buddy with them either., but at the same time you cant be a robot. Interviewers can tell when people are lying, so just give them everything straight out.

Every tech interview I've ever been through they have a question sheet to gauge how much you know about the position. They are usually pretty easy if you know much of anything coming in.

Also ask around and see if you know anyone who has applied. They might still have the question list.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Also, a suit is not always necessary depending on the company, but it couldnt hurt.

Not too hard to match a black pinstripe. Get a white or dark grey shirt and a purple power tie.

If there will be women in the interview, dont wear scuffed shoes. They always look.

Blog Entries
    Listen bitch, get your sorry ass some contacts, a nice material light brown- tan color suit with a fly shirt and tie (the one you mentioned sounds like some grandpa shit). Gets some nice shoes and make sure they are clean. Let your hair grow a lil more on the top so you dont look like your in the military and smile and keep eye contact with the interviewer. Make sure to know shit about the company like when it was started and some of it's quick history. Make sure they know you are a team player and can work under pressure.

Basically turn into a total fraud and you should have no problem.

? HOFer
    The shoes are brand new. What is a power tie? Would it be in my best interest to tell them I only have one semester of experience in java, but I have studied OO programming for three semesters now and I am quick at picking things up and very willing to learn?

Blog Entries
    BTW - Cut your nails you pig and try laying off the greasy shit so you dont break out.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    Just try your hardest to be normal. That's a very rare but very desirable quality in software engineers

Look them in the eye. Emphasize that you are eager to learn.
    By the way, I emailed Prof. Clifton to see what he thinks and to see if he has any tips. That guy is by far and away the best professor I have ever had. Platteville's finest.

Brown shoes...don't make it.

You'll do fine man. Relax.
    C.H.U.D.

The shoes are brand new. What is a power tie? Would it be in my best interest to tell them I only have one semester of experience in java, but I have studied OO programming for three semesters now and I am quick at picking things up and very willing to learn?
    Thats about exactly what you should say. Willingness and ability to learn are huge.

Just dont get a generic striped tie. Dont get a tie from Sears. Go to Macy's or even Herbergers has some decent stuff. Kohls has some nice ties from time to time at a reasonable price.

Dress to impress and when they ask you questions about your experiences, turn on the charm and act like you've done it before
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

1. Wear a suit and tie as mentioned before.
    2. Get to know as much about the company and the position as possible
    3. If you can find out anything about the individual(s) you will be interview with. Small talk at the beginning is important.
    4. I'm not a programmer, but a friend of mine is and he brought samples of his work with him.
    5. Study like you would for a test. They are likely to test or quiz you on your technical knowledge.
    6. Most importantly maintain your poise and never admit you are nervous (even though you will be).

Let us know how it goes!