Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for an interview

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whatever you do don't pull the race card.

And don't send a thank you card for the interview. That's just fucking creepy. And don't make it sound like ANY part of the job is beneath you. Be positive without being a dork. As tempted as you might be, don't include a soundtrack to your life on your samples disc either.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    Something that companies are doing a lot now is having multiple people interview you. They will be some of the people you will work with and will all give the boss an opinion. Make sure to ask them questions about the job and don't act like you fucking know it all. Just act confident.

I would also recommend taking a leak before you go. Asking where the toilet is at is lame.

? HOFer
    I am interviewing with two people. It kind of sucks because the only time they had open is right after a Networks exam. Will they ask for my transcripts from school? And if they do can I say no? My Platteville one is very far from appealing. Perhaps I could explain to them that I was immature then and didn't work hard and wasn't a man. Obviously I can't change what I did there.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I am interviewing with two people. It kind of sucks because the only time they had open is right after a Networks exam. Will they ask for my transcripts from school? And if they do can I say no? My Platteville one is very far from appealing. Perhaps I could explain to them that I was immature then and didn't work hard and wasn't a man. Obviously I can't change what I did there.
    I see no reason for them to ask for transcripts at this point in time...especially during this stage of the process.
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you can ask to skip the drug test.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Is this a co-op or just a summer thing?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

? HOFer
    Essentially a co-up but it is only 25 hours a week so I'll still be going to school full-time and then working at Sears on the weekends. Should be about 35-40 total hours of work so it's going to be pretty darn busy.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    Maybe you can ask to skip the drug test.
    You know I don't do that sheez. Only in TJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    There is nothing wrong with my glasses!

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.
    Black and white is not business attire.
    Well, it is a black suit with pin stripes. I will have to try and match a shirt and tie with it today at work.

I think the suit is a bad idea. You're likely to end up overdressed, which is only slightly better than underdressed.

But why leave something like this to chance in the first place? Call the company. Talk to a secretary, and find out what the attire is. Then you can be certain your dressed appropriately. How are you supposed to interview well if you're the only guy in the buiding wearing a suit? For god sakes, your applying as a computer programmer, not an investment banker. They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

During my interviews, I'm often most impressed by how candidates ask questions - not nearly as much by how they answer them. Remember, you're interviewing them too. Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.

You should be doing due diligence on this company now. How many employees? What's their annual revenue? Who are their biggest customers? Who are their competitors? Who's the CEO. What's his background? All the routine stuff. This should also help you decide if you really want to work there. It's not unusual for an interviewer to ask you why you want to work there, and this is a great opportunity to show off some of your research while answering the question.

Lastly, be comfortable. If you're not comfortable, it's hard for the interviewer to be comfortable. And if the interviewer is uncomforable, it's harder to make the hire. There are no babies dying here, so don't let yourself turn the situation into something more prominent than it really is. Its just a job. Its just an interview. If you don't get this one, it'll be great practice for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    There is nothing wrong with my glasses!

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.
    Black and white is not business attire.
    Well, it is a black suit with pin stripes. I will have to try and match a shirt and tie with it today at work.
    Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.
    That is a good question to ask!

They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

Ok ok....wear cut off jeans and a Dickies hat then.
    C.H.U.D.

Blog Entries
    I think the suit is a bad idea. You're likely to end up overdressed, which is only slightly better than underdressed.

But why leave something like this to chance in the first place? Call the company. Talk to a secretary, and find out what the attire is. Then you can be certain your dressed appropriately. How are you supposed to interview well if you're the only guy in the buiding wearing a suit? For god sakes, your applying as a computer programmer, not an investment banker. They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

During my interviews, I'm often most impressed by how candidates ask questions - not nearly as much by how they answer them. Remember, you're interviewing them too. Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.

You should be doing due diligence on this company now. How many employees? What's their annual revenue? Who are their biggest customers? Who are their competitors? Who's the CEO. What's his background? All the routine stuff. This should also help you decide if you really want to work there. It's not unusual for an interviewer to ask you why you want to work there, and this is a great opportunity to show off some of your research while answering the question.

Lastly, be comfortable. If you're not comfortable, it's hard for the interviewer to be comfortable. And if the interviewer is uncomforable, it's harder to make the hire. There are no babies dying here, so don't let yourself turn the situation into something more prominent than it really is. Its just a job. Its just an interview. If you don't get this one, it'll be great practice for the next one.
    What the hell, you Salt lake floater?? I already said all this and that dumbass hasn't responded. I agree that the suit is a judgment call. I will give you credit on the receptionist one. Thats always a good way to go and if you don't treat them like hired help and smile maybe they will hook a brother up. I actually like your post better though, you say it in a nice anglo saxon way Partial can understand.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Wear a fucking suit. He already has one he should wear the fucking thing.

Don't volunteer information, answer the questions they give with truthful answers.

Brush your fucking teeth.

Get contacts.

Bring anything with you that you think might be important but again don't volunteer shit.

Take it from me, I always get jobs I am over qualified for. It sucks in the long run, I usually make some promises I never intend to keep, that works as well. Like if they ask you to take a class in Java, say absolutely, then if you don't want to, don't.

Wear clean underwear (what? didn't your mother ever tell you that?) and whatever you do, don't do whatever it is that I've been doing wrong for the last year. Have a copy of your resume with you. When they start going over it, if you can pull it out and look it over with them, you look prepared. Do what Scott said, the question was really good. Mark me down as for the suit--you can always take the jacket off and carry it if you're feeling overdressed.

It would look better to lose the glasses, but I'm not convinced contacts are a better idea as the could make your eyes uncomfortable or red if you're not used to them and the last thing you want is bloodshot eyes in an interview.

Oh, and no Mexican or black bean soup the day before or morning of.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Don't mention that you have over 8000 posts on a frickin' football forum.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

? HOFer
    Why does everyone hate the glasses?

Also, what should I carry my resume in? All I have in a columbia back pack. Should I look into getting something else? I would really rather not spend any additional money than what I have to.

put your resume, letters of recommendation and your college transcripts inside clear binder pages and carry them in a slim leather binder.
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

I interview people all the time - sometimes for tech jobs. Relax, smile, wipe your sweaty palm (and grip firm) and pause on your responses.

IMO, a suit is fine.

Lots of tech guy wears glasses (and most have facial hair).

If your transcripts suck - it's just that - don't explain anything. If it's a co-op, they probably won't.

If you have a portfolio - bring your resume (on good paper if you have it) and some examples from past internships or class projects (relevant to the position).

Read the website and write down at least 3 questions.

If you have a behavioral interview, use this model...

S - Situation (explain the situation at a high level -- in a few sentences)
    H - Hindrance/Challenge (if it's not a challenge it won't be compelling)
    A - Action Items (what you did to overcome the challenge or finish the task)
    R - Result (what happened?)

And try not to use the following examples: frat party planning, staying up late finishing an assignment.

Good luck dude.

Why does everyone hate the glasses?

Also, what should I carry my resume in? All I have in a columbia back pack. Should I look into getting something else? I would really rather not spend any additional money than what I have to.
    Glasses are fine...you need them to see for crying out loud.
    C.H.U.D.