Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for an interview

Quote Originally Posted by LL2
    1. Wear a suit and tie as mentioned before.
    2. Get to know as much about the company and the position as possible
    3. If you can find out anything about the individual(s) you will be interview with. Small talk at the beginning is important.
    4. I'm not a programmer, but a friend of mine is and he brought samples of his work with him.
    5. Study like you would for a test. They are likely to test or quiz you on your technical knowledge.
    6. Most importantly maintain your poise and never admit you are nervous (even though you will be).

Let us know how it goes!
    These are all good tips. I support them and encourage you to follow them.

Also:

1. Arrive 5-10 minutes early. DO NOT BE LATE! It is a bad sign to your prospective employers if you show up late.

2. As an earlier poster stated, maintain good eye contact.

3. Besides the suit, make sure your shoes are polished. Some employers put stock on polished shoes as a first impression.

4. Following the interview, shake hands in a friendly, yet firm manner, and thank him(them) for his time in meeting with you.

5. Upon arrival at home, immediately send a neat, mistake-free letter thanking your interviewer for the time to meet with him. End the letter with "I look forward to hearing from you."

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with glasses. This is a computer geek position you're interviewing for, is it not?

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Why does everyone hate the glasses?
    Its not the glasses, it is you. So unless you are gonna get plastic surgery ditch the specks. They dont give you that tech-smart look everyone here is imagining. I just want to slap them off your face thinking about it.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    Why does everyone hate the glasses?
    Its not the glasses, it is you. So unless you are gonna get plastic surgery ditch the specks. They dont give you that tech-smart look everyone here is imagining. I just want to slap them off your face thinking about it.
    Ouch.

If it hasn't been suggested yet, buy some Altoids. The really small ones. Don't go in with onion or garlic breath!

I would also skip the suit in favor of some quality slacks and a button up shirt. I don't believe in dressing any better for the interview than you would for the job, especially an intern job. You should probably take a class or two in whatever language you're applying for too. It helps if you know how to do the job you're applying for. Hell, buy a book and subscribe to a couple of boards. Plenty of people teach themselves Java programing.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Oh, one other thing. Don't skip breakfast that morning. I had an interview once that I ran out the door for and my stomach started growling (loudly) and continued through the whole interview. Embarrassing.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    Well, today is the big day. I've got an exam from 10-12, then I've got the interview at one. I'm not really nervous, but simply have a heightened sense of things.

Good luck.

Try to stay calm and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Blog Entries
    I hope the interviewer goes all Donald Trump on his ass.

I hope he drank some vodka or something to kill that "heightened sense of things."

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    You should probably take a class or two in whatever language you're applying for too. .
    If he hasn't picked up English by now, I don't think a semester or two of remedial grammar and writing is going to help much. :P

? HOFer
    I got the job. Very surprised they told me the day of. I interviewed in the morning, then they had me come back later and fill out a slew of paper work. I am going to be making pretty good bank there for a part time gig.

I got the job. Very surprised they told me the day of. I interviewed in the morning, then they had me come back later and fill out a slew of paper work. I am going to be making pretty good bank there for a part time gig.
    Congrats.....so are you leaving Sears and Robuck? or is this a part time gig?
    C.H.U.D.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Congrats.....so are you leaving Sears and Robuck? or is this a part time gig?
    They're both part time so I am going to work them both and maximize the most out the hours I work. On Saturdays at Sears I can get as high as 50 bucks an hour but am usually around 20, so I am going to stick with that on Sat. During the week I make next to nothing at Sears, so I am going to put in my 30 hours at the company then.

I'll be working about 35-40 hours a week while going to school, but I can handle it and the money is just too good. I will be able to pay my dad back completely from the loan I took out, and then get a new laptop as well. Plus I will have plenty of money for going out.

Excellent!

Congrats, P.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Blog Entries
    Congrats Blasta P!! Those guys are getting a freak of nature for sure.

Show them what you got!

Good for you, P. Give 'em hell.