Thread: Cooking with Alcohol

Cooking with Alcohol

I was just reading the chili recipe posted by Zig on the home page.

It sounds yummy, but, somewhat oddly, it calls for bourbon.

I believe I once read a hilarious account of someone cooking with alcohol. The narrating chef begins in a sober and proper tone, as it were, precisely articulating both the food preparation and his gradually increasing intake of alcohol. The genius of the piece was how gradually and genuinely the chef slides into carelessness, sloppiness, and profanity as he becomes totally inebriated.

Anyway it was one of those humorous pieces that comes to you having been forwarded a zillion times.

I haven't a clue how to begin the search, so I was wondering if any of you had read it or can find it.

Or you can post a really boozy recipe. My mom has one for "Soused Pork" in which you pour an entire bottle of red wine over a big pork loin and cook it until tender. I'll try to dig that one out of the archives.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

I can't fathom a better lead in...

Check this out...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Does anyone remember Julia Childs in the episode where she drank sherry and then promptly cut herself so badly that the "we are experiencing technical difficulties" screen came up on the boob tube?
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

Picking up the telephone to call for help as the blood gushes:

"Ohhh! It's a prop!"

[QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Best Fruitcake Ever

1 or 2 quarts whiskey
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    lemon juice
    4 large eggs
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    nuts

Before you start, sample the whiskey to check for quality. Good, isn't it? Now go ahead and begin.

Select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check the whiskey again as it must be just right. To be sure the whiskey is of the highest quality, pour 1 level cup into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon ot thugar and beat the heck out of it.

Meanwhile, make sure that the whiskey is still of the finest quality. Cry another tup. Open second quart if necessary.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat 'til high. If druit gets stuck in beaters, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey again, checking for tonscisticity.

Next, sift thee cups of salt or anything - it really doesn't matter. Thample the whiskey.

Sift one falf pint lemon juice. Fold in chopped butter and stained nuts. Add 1 babblespoon of bown thugar, or whatever color you can find, and wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 degrees. Now pour the whole mess into the coven and ake it. Check that whiskey again and bo to ged.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    I've got a really good beer bread

2.5 cups flour
    4 tblspns sugar
    1/2 tspn baking powder
    pinch of salt
    1/2 cup of grated cheddar
    2 green onions (green part only)
    1 tblspn melted butter
    9.5 oz of pale ale

Drizzle butter over dough in a coated loaf pan

bake at400 for 45 min

Wow that does sound good. Is it a bread machine recipe or can you make it by hand?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Wow that does sound good. Is it a bread machine recipe or can you make it by hand?
    by hand. i usually serve it with a cheese dip.

1cup mayo
    1cup sour cream
    1/2 cup asiago cheese
    1/4 cup green onion
    1 tblspn sundried tomatoes
    1/4 cup mushrooms

blend all in food processor except tomatoes. stir them in last
    bake until bubbly then broil to brown the top

I usually make two loaves for every batch of dip