Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Season 4

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33
    I think you guys are wrong, because he it is impossible that he knew they met in 96. That's not how the theory of time travel works. You can't go back in time and change an event without the future being changed, and with that being a significant event don't you think they'd remember? Further more, without Desmond meeting Dan and flying to the freighter would he have had to go back and meet Dan?!? To me, the answer is no.

I think the stuff started happening to Dan when they came to the Island. The guessing card thing was him jumping to the future like Desmond could do, but he was having a hard time controlling it.
    Why would he write that Desmond was his constant in his notebook then? It was simply memory loss.

He knew it was 96 in desmond's conscious and asked him to meet him there - it wasn't time travel but consciousness slippage.
    I don't understand what you're saying. I don't think it was shown whether it was previously written or if he wrote it then.

It was time travel, not consciousness slipping. Events changed in the past yet did not alter events in the future. Since something happened in the past than all of history from that moment moving forward should be reflective of that change, since the future did not happen yet.

Certainly, it is a weird topic and a weird episode.
    When Desmond met him at Oxford, the guy said - future me of me referenced this me - so he must've remembered meeting you. Desmond replies - no - he must have forgot. The guy laughs and says - right - how would that happen. They he immediately talks about radiation effects several times a day and the fact that he had no head gear protection.

Also - I think it is consciousness - the experiment with the rat showed that it wasn't anything odd (no disappearance, etc.). The guy said that it wasn't time travel - the rat's mind was sent to the future.

And with the playing card scene - it's clearly memory loss. At least it's clear to me.

I thought it was one of the better episodes of the entire series to date.

I think you guys are wrong, because he it is impossible that he knew they met in 96. That's not how the theory of time travel works. You can't go back in time and change an event without the future being changed, and with that being a significant event don't you think they'd remember? Further more, without Desmond meeting Dan and flying to the freighter would he have had to go back and meet Dan?!? To me, the answer is no.

I think the stuff started happening to Dan when they came to the Island. The guessing card thing was him jumping to the future like Desmond could do, but he was having a hard time controlling it.
    Why would he write that Desmond was his constant in his notebook then? It was simply memory loss.

He knew it was 96 in desmond's conscious and asked him to meet him there - it wasn't time travel but consciousness slippage.
    I don't understand what you're saying. I don't think it was shown whether it was previously written or if he wrote it then.

It was time travel, not consciousness slipping. Events changed in the past yet did not alter events in the future. Since something happened in the past than all of history from that moment moving forward should be reflective of that change, since the future did not happen yet.

When Desmond met him at Oxford, the guy said - future me of me referenced this me - so he must've remembered meeting you. Desmond replies - no - he must have forgot. The guy laughs and says - right - how would that happen. They he immediately talks about radiation effects several times a day and the fact that he had no head gear protection.

Also - I think it is consciousness - the experiment with the rat showed that it wasn't anything odd (no disappearance, etc.).

And with the playing card scene - it's clearly memory loss. At least it's clear to me.

Time travel means a body physically goes through time. This is NOT what happened. Des' body was in two places at once. His conscience was going back and forth, but a catatonic body was involved in the 'other' location each time.

Let's just go back to Hurley driving that 70's love van around filled with icky beer. :P

? HOFer

Also - I think it is consciousness - the experiment with the rat showed that it wasn't anything odd (no disappearance, etc.). The guy said that it wasn't time travel - the rat's mind was sent to the future.

But, the effects didn't happen to him until he got onto the Island. I agree it happened to him because of the radiation.

Desmond didn't lose his memory. I think it means that the same thing is happening to Desmond is also happening to Dan. They made no reference to Dan having ever seen the cards before.

Producer Podcast

at 17:56 in the latest producer podcast (I am listening to it as we speak, so this literally came up as I was typing lol), they said that it is likely a pre-existing condition that doesn't have anything to do with memory loss.

I think it confirms that he is manipulating time with his mind.

? HOFer
    Everyone knows his body didn't go back in time. It's his mind.

Do you guys remember flashes before your eyes? After he turned the fail safe key he went back to the time when he was dating Penny. Ms. Hawkings (an obvious reference to Stephen Hawkings. He has also shown a knack for predicting the future.

Dan Faraday is a reference to the physicist Faraday. He was an electromagnetism researcher.

I'm telling you guys, he went back and changed time, because do you think in 2001 when he saw Penny at the stadium she knew that he would call on Christmas Eve 2004? I don't.

I don't think there is any evidence to support memory loss. Based on what he know of the similiar situations between Faraday and Desmond, it is safe to conclude that he is predicting the future not losing his memory.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Let's just go back to Hurley driving that 70's love van around filled with icky beer. :P
    They're back to the island next week. Did you enjoy this weeks episode?

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    They're back to the island next week. Did you enjoy this weeks episode?
    I enjoy every episode. Like I said in an earlier post, I didn't care for the whole episode being off-island. To be honest I always watch the early (repeat) episode first with the pop-ups because I get more out of it the 2nd time around. I'm usually rushing home from work, cooking dinner until right before it comes on so my mind is not always focused on everything in the present episode. ....another reason I really enjoyed watching (to play catch up) the shows on DVD after the fact. I rented season 1 and 2 and bought season 3. I think I will end up buying them all. Plus my kids didn't get into watching it till season 3 so they are always asking a ton of questions about the past. Have they ever indicated how many seasons Lost will be on? Or are they just waiting to see the viewer ratings before making that decision?

? HOFer
    There are going to be 6 seasons total. This one is going to be 13 episodes, than the others will be a total of 35. 48 episodes for the final three seasons.

? HOFer
    I just thought of this, if Desmond needed a constant in both times, why didn't he stop once he met Dan back in 1994?!?

Your brain is going to bleed if you keep trying to figure EVERYTHING out. They WILL explain everything eventually and it will make sense, though there will proably be some sci-fi that we can't actually relate to. I don't even want to get into this alternate cosncience, future, past, time travel or not discussion. It's wasted breath, the show will reveal it all to us over time in a way we will all be able to receive and follow. Until then I'll stick to discussing, debating and debunking the actual real time events that aren't Back To the Future crazy.

Penny's dad. Overbearing father, or the kingpin behind it all. Discuss..

? HOFer
    Her dad is in next week's episode per my television on-screen guide. I think he is part of the whole thing.

He bought the piece from Alvar Hanso this week who was the president of Dharma is the lost book if I remember correctly.

I'm telling you guys, he went back and changed time, because do you think in 2001 when he saw Penny at the stadium she knew that he would call on Christmas Eve 2004? I don't.
    Then why was she pissed at him in 96' when he first zapped back? She was never actually angry with him in any of their flashbacks in any of the 2nd or 3rd seasons. When he was off in the military she was waiting for him, not angry. When he was going off to do her dad's race she was going to wait for him, not angry. She was never angry like she was in the last episode, why then all of a sudden?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    First, I disagree with Mad, this was a fantastic episode that shed a bit of light on the issues with the Island, time displacement of some sort. Time is not moving correctly on the Island. Most of this has been figured out or guessed at by fellow members of this forum.

I loved the anchor with Penny and Desmond. It is a story line that is as overlooked as the character of Desmond is, he is not Jack, Kate, or Sawyer so some pass over his importance to the show.

Anyways I liked the episode.

I could go into all the theories on time travel or whatever you want to refer to as, but I don't fully understand the complexities of it on the show.

? HOFer
    I agree with Nutz in that it was an excellent episode. The Desmond/Penny story is one of the best on the show imo.

Anyone considered that the 'Oceanic 6' were all away from the hatch explosion (Kate, Jack, Sayid, Hurley)... that would mean that Sun/Jin would be the final two. Just a thought...

? HOFer
    Interesting theory

LETS DO THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The way this week's episode ended shocked me as well as Hurley and Sawyer. They watched Ben go walking freely by as he said to the two, "See you guys at dinner!"

For Locke to release Ben is totally insane. Ben is one contemptuous, cunning, amoral, slimy weasel! Letting him walk around free is like warming a stick of dynamite with a blowtorch!

? HOFer
    They should just follow Ben. I think they'll end up doing that and they'll stay safe.

I do think he is lying about Chuck Widmore's intentions, though. My guess is he is coming to kill Ben, not to commercialize the island.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    First, I disagree with Mad, this was a fantastic episode that shed a bit of light on the issues with the Island, time displacement of some sort. Time is not moving correctly on the Island. Most of this has been figured out or guessed at by fellow members of this forum.

I loved the anchor with Penny and Desmond. It is a story line that is as overlooked as the character of Desmond is, he is not Jack, Kate, or Sawyer so some pass over his importance to the show.

Anyways I liked the episode.

I could go into all the theories on time travel or whatever you want to refer to as, but I don't fully understand the complexities of it on the show.
    The fact Partial agrees with you should be the first sign you might be wrong. Dont get me wrong I thought it was a good epi as far as how it was done but the storyline going in the direction of time travel is what I dont like. IN the begining of the show the creators said everything would be explainable in a realistc way. While the black smoke kinda threw a wrench in those plans right away the time travel stuff is taking it too far IMO.