Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Tips???

Any Tips???

...On cooking Prime Rib? I've never made it before and am giving it a shot for Christmas Eve dinner.

Appreciate any tips/helpful hints.....

Re: Any Tips???

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    ...On cooking Prime Rib? I've never made it before and am giving it a shot for Christmas Eve dinner.

Appreciate any tips/helpful hints.....
    Hire a caterer to do it? Seriously, that's a tough one. How big is it?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Re: Any Tips???

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    How big is it?
    No idea. I just called the trusty butcher and told him I needed enough for 7 people and would like some left overs. Picking it up tomorrow.

I have 4 different recipes in my cookbook depending on where the cut is taken from, the only thing common between them is that you need to make sure to ask the butcher to remove the chine bone or you won't be able to cut it.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Make good use of that meat thermometer!

Just serve plenty of liquor before dinner and everything will be fine.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Sorry, I have never cooked Prime Rib, although I sure do like to eat it!

My dad does Prime Rib every year, though, and from what I remember he swears by what he calls the Martha Stewart method. This involves baking at lower heat for most of the time, but broiling for a very short time to give the meat a good crust.

Good tips from Martha Stewart's website:

"To ensure even cooking, roast must first be left at room temperature for about two hours before being placed in the oven. Do not use a nonstick pan for this recipe; it will yield fewer cooked-on bits of flavorful juices."

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...extfmt=default

In this write-up, she starts by cooking for 20 minutes at 450 and then lowers the heat to 325 for the remainder of the time, using a meat thermometer to measure if it's done rather than a set time. It calls for baking rather than broiling in that first 20 minutes.

From reading this recipe, and from seeing my dad do it, it's not too tough to do: basically you put on a pretty heavy crust of seasoning on the outside of the roast, and bake it. Not too bad.

Generally speaking, you cook the whole roast to medium rare or so, and then if anyone perfers their serving more well done than that, you put individual portions in a frying pan with some au jus gravy and cook to desired doneness. They used to do that at the restaurant where I worked, and my dad has done that too.

From another article:

"NOTE: If you ignore every other bit of advice I've given, please pay attention to this. For a perfectly cooked rib roast, invest in a good meat thermometer. Internal temperature, not time, is the best test for doneness and you don't want to blow this meal!"

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

Good luck!

Ya also wann place a pot of water at the bottom o0f the oven. This will ensure the air is moist.

What's even better is baking wrap, but I don't know if you guys have that.

It's a plastic tube that's designed to bake stuff in. That is unbelievable!

We have baking bags. Same concept?

Blog Entries
    slow cook that puppy so it's incredibly tender. Takes a while but I think my pops cooks it on 250

Be sure to make some mean adjus and it'll be awesome

not to jinx you, but I had my first and only bad experience with prime rib a month ago. Probably it is my own fault, I ordered it at 4PM like a senior citizen out on a Saturday night.

I asked for rare. That piece of meat could not have been dead for more than half an hour. I mean, it was not hot, it was oozing with warm blood. Disgusting!

I sent it back to be reheated. They immediately came back with a new cut, which made me wonder what happened to the piece I just took a bite out of. Perhaps it went to the next senior citizen through the door.

The next piece was cooked to pass health inspection standards, but it was tough and not at all juicy. I was too big of a pussy to raise a fuss, I just wanted my freedom.

The horror! Prime rib exists in my mind as something sacred, perhaps the second greatest pleasure in life.

I think idle's suggesting of braizing the meat at high temperature to get a crust, and then cooking slowly makes great sense. The crust will seal-in the juices. I'm getting hungry.

007 don't despair! Prime Rib is the easiest thing in the world to cook. Really. My wife has made this multiple times for 50-75 people for our church dinners. (By popular vote, we NEVER serve spaghetti or anything similar....)

Here is the recipe she uses. follow the directions exactly and your dinner will be a hit.... Trust me.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29348,00.html

007.....Can we come over too?

Thanks Idle and Retail!

I saw that recipe on foodnetwork.com and wondered about it. Sounds good with the horseradish.

LL2....I'll practice on family first.

I want complete details afterwards. I'd like to have the same thing New Years Day......................take copius notes!

Tarlam's right about the water in the oven. They make special commercial ovens for cooking prime rib in restaurants that introduce moisture into the baking chamber. Some meat purveyors also will provide and extra layer of fat tied on to the roast with a cheese cloth net for a little added flavor.

I call the end cut.

Thanks Idle and Retail!

I saw that recipe on foodnetwork.com and wondered about it. Sounds good with the horseradish.

It's amazing. You'll never eat it another way after trying it....

good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Idle and Retail!

Horseradish ? How can somebody ruin a good tender prime rib with that stuff ?
    Gotta have the au jus sauce

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Watched the game with my dad today, and asked him about this. My recollections were correct except for one thing: when he starts the roast at 450, he still bakes rather than broils. The broiling thing was a figment of my imagination. Then he drops the temp down to slow cook. He said it's the easiest thing in the world to cook. Just gotta watch the temp and not overcook.

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    We have baking bags. Same concept?
    Yeah, same thing. Seven, you MUST use one of those. That way, Bretsky's idea of au jus will work out great, too.

Put the roast in the bag with whole garlic cloves, sweated chopped oninons, carrots and celery (without colouring - it's called a moire poix), 1/2 Cup of red wine (why waste more than that?), parsly stalks, bay leaf, fresh thyme. Seal the bag and try and arrange it on a baking tray so that the moire poix and wine is below the meat.

High heat for 10-15 minutes to seal in the juices, then slow roast at mid heat.

Let it sit for 10 minuts before you carve. If you must, thicken the juice with corn starch.

BTW, I am a trained Chef, so you take my word for it, this will taste yummy.