Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "GETTING RICH IS SIMPLER THAN YOU THINK"-MSN

Blog Entries

"GETTING RICH IS SIMPLER THAN YOU THINK"-MSN

Getting rich is simpler than you think

Blend three ingredients -- a paycheck, discipline and time -- and, you, too, can be a millionaire. It's not always easy, but it's simple. And you have no excuse not to do it.

Here is the single most important thing you will ever hear about investing: Getting rich is simple.

Not easy, but simple.

And here is the second most important thing you will ever hear about investing: You have no excuse not to do it.

Only three ingredients are needed: income, discipline and time. Chances are, you already have two of them, income and time. All you need to do is add the third, discipline. And armed with the following knowledge, that key third ingredient may be a lot easier to find.

Here's how it works: Say you start with nothing, invest $500 (of your income) a month (a healthy discipline), and let your money ride (over time) in diversified investments. Long term, the stock market returns at least 10% annually. Assuming a 10% return, you'd have $102,000 after 10 years, $380,000 after 20 years, and $1.1 million in 30 years.

Here's a similar scenario: If you start with a nut of $50,000 and add only $250 per month, you'd have $180,000, $516.000 and $1.4 million after 10, 20, and 30 years, respectively. All this happens through the power of regular investing and a simple-but-powerful concept called compounding.

Compounding
    What is compounding?

Compounding is the reinvestment of the interest you receive from the money you set aside. For example, if you invest $1,000 and earn 10% interest on your principal at the end of each year, you'll get in $100 interest at the end of the first year. If you reinvest that interest, the second year you would start with $1,100, and thus would earn $110 interest. If you stay with it, you'd more than double your money every eight years.

"Compounding," Albert Einstein said, "is mankind's greatest invention because it allows for the reliable, systematic accumulation of wealth." Einstein was a smart man. But you hardly have to be a genius to make this concept work for you.

The real magic of investing comes when you combine the surprising power of compounding with continuous and regular investments -- in other words, discipline.

The best way to make these continuous investments happen is by setting up an account with a broker or mutual fund that automatically deducts a fixed amount from your bank account every month. "Automatic" is the operative word here. Trust me, if you don't set it up that way, it won't happen. Instead, you'll end up pouring money in when the market is soaring and skipping payments when it's heading down. Eventually you'll get discouraged and give up.

Dollar-cost averaging
    The process of continuously investing a fixed dollar amount is called dollar-cost averaging -- a term that sounds much more technical than it is. Through dollar-cost averaging, you'll end up buying more shares when a stock or fund is down, and fewer when it's up. For instance, say you're investing $500 monthly in a stock trading initially at $50 per share; so the first time, you buy 10 shares. If the next month the stock moves up to $62.50 your regular purchase will net you only eight shares. However, if the stock drops to $41.67, you'll get 12 shares (not including any transaction fees).

It's easy to set up regular-investment mechanisms, thus harnessing the power of dollar-cost averaging. Mutual funds are the traditional way. But there are other outlets, as well, that allow you to apply the strategy with individual stocks or exchange-traded funds, which are baskets of stocks that identically track standard market indexes, such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average ($INDU).

Risk
    Sure, investing in the stock market has risk. There's always the chance the market will go nowhere for the next 20 or 30 years and you'll end up no better than where you started. But there's risk in everything, even CDs.

With CDs, your original investment isn't in danger. Most CDs are insured, and the federal government will step in and make you whole, even if your bank goes belly up.

But a problem crops up when something more sinister surfaces: inflation. At this writing, inflation, running at around 2%, is considered relatively benign. But is it?

Let's do some math. Your real return is the interest you receive less the inflation rate. If your CD is paying 3% and the inflation rate is 2%, you're only making 1% in real terms. If inflation takes off, say to 5%, your CD will probably be paying around 4%. In inflation-adjusted terms, you've lost 1%.

But it can get worse. Inflation hit 14% in the early 1980s. In such times, CDs and similar fixed-income investments don't even come close to the inflation rate, meaning you're losing serious money, in real terms.

By contrast, assets such as real estate and stocks tend to move with prices, and, over time, the stock market has outpaced inflation. For instance, in the 20-year period ending Dec. 31, 2001, the cumulative return of the market, as measured by the S&P 500 Index ($INX), was 1,606%, compared to 88% cumulative inflation over the same period.

What's the point? Yes, there's risk in investing in the market, but the odds are that continuous, regular investing combined with the power of compounding will make you rich.

The odds
    If you count yourself a member of the "I want it now" generation, the idea of waiting 20 or 30 years to get rich probably sounds like a dumb idea.

Sure, there are faster ways to get rich. You could win the lottery, or pick the next Intel (INTC, news, msgs) or Wal-Mart Stores (WMT, news, msgs). But don't quit your day job just yet. Your chances of winning big in the lottery run around 15 million to 1, at best.

Meantime, naturally, you would be sitting pretty if you had had the foresight to plunk significant cash into Intel or Wal-Mart 20 years ago. But consider this: You would have lost money if you'd picked Advanced Micro Devices (AMD, news, msgs) instead of Intel, and you'd be broke if you'd picked Kmart (SHLD, news, msgs) (which ended up merging with Sears Roebuck) instead of Wal-Mart. In both instances, your retirement plans would be history.

Here's the bottom line, like it or not: The fate of your retirement, your comfort in older age, probably lies in your commitment to the concepts laid out in the paragraphs above. For the vast majority of us, wealth creation is a slow and steady -- and powerful -- process. The tortoise almost always beats the hare.

It's not easy. But it's very, very simple.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

? HOFer
    Great article! Is that what you do Brett? Automatically add 500 to the pot of a diversified set of stocks each month?

I feel like I could easily chip in the 500 a month for 30 years to end up with a million dollar by 50.

Now, would it be a better idea to put that money towards a mortgage or put 500 bucks a month into the stock market through an IRA?

What?? Compounding interest?? Whoever heard of such a thing....

Doesn't that just make things more complicated?

I bought a Powerball ticket yesterday. Doesn't that count for anything?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    I think the article's point is that you need to buy $500 of powerball tickets per month. Dollar loss averaging, or something like that. :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    Great article! Is that what you do Brett? Automatically add 500 to the pot of a diversified set of stocks each month?

I feel like I could easily chip in the 500 a month for 30 years to end up with a million dollar by 50.

Now, would it be a better idea to put that money towards a mortgage or put 500 bucks a month into the stock market through an IRA?

I should post more of these; every weekend I try to spend an hour either researching stock ideas, investment tips, or mortgage articles and staying current on fiscal ideas.

Myself, I have family and am doing alright investment wise. Between the better looking half and myself (we both have full time decent jobs), we are vesting over 1,000 per month into our 401K plans. The plans invest in a diversified set of mutual funds.

Your last point is debateable; if you go pure money and your only goal is becoming rich asap one could argue that living with cheap rent and packing the money away is the way to go. But reality is most will not do that. And if you end up getting married the odds of having two people embrace that strategy is even less.

And owning a home has many many more fringe benefits than pure money.
    Pride of ownership, feeling like your money is going toward something that appreciates....ect

To me, common sense dictates your answer to be specialized toward what each person wants to accomplish.

Myself, I bought my first home one year after marriage and have no regrets at all. Bought a little ranch. Had a 15Yr Mortgage and made a bunch of profits off sale of home one to get a sizeable home on round two. This will probably be our last home until we are too old and then we'll probably seriously downsize.

For most people, they are not disciplined enough to pack money away if renting so IMO they are better off buying a home when they are ready and debt free for the most part. We'd have fallen into this category. In reality, owning a home helped educate us into watching our spending habits; when we rented we thought nothing of pissing money away on lots of booze, restaurants, entertainment....etc...

There are many ways to get to your end goal. Most also want a decent sized home and they get there by buying home one, letting it appreciate, and using equity from sale of home one five years later as down payment for a bigger home you can grow in or retire in. That ended up being my strategy, and I have no regrets up to this point.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky you will be doing a great thing posting these articles to get people to think about investing and managing their money. Do you ever go to www.fool.com? I think it's a great website where you can learn investing basics. I personally subscribe to their Champion Funds newsletter. It's really good, and sure the others are too.

Also, investing in lottery tickets is not a wise idea folks? Out of that equation above TIME is the most valuable. Once it's gone you can't make it up. The younger you investing start the better off you are. I hope to teach my kids to start when they are in their teens. I didn't start until I was 28. I know people that still haven't started and they are in their mid-30's. When you start late you lose that valuable tool of your money compounding. The Rule of 72 says whatever interest rate you get divide that into 72 and that is how long it will take for your money to double. If you have $50,000 and are getting a 10% average return your $50,000 will become $100,000 in 7 years. The more time you have the more often your money will double.

There's a difference between becoming a millionaire and becoming rich. The million dollar mark isn't the magical finish line that it used to be. You certainly can't retire at 40 on it.

Partial, I think at your age you should re-calibrate and be shooting for $5M.

Bretsky,

You make some valuable insights with your articles. Investing at an early age for retirement is crucial in today's world because the era of company sponsored pensions is coming to an end. Financially planning for retirement is being left almost exclusively up to the individual.

I believe I recently saw an article where 50% of American adults have not save a dime for their retirement. Sadly, this figure includes many Baby Boomers who will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. Trying to retire on just Social Security will just not financially cut it. Our country may see many more seniors below the poverty level 10-20 years from now.

While your goal of investing $500 a month is laudable, most Americans lack both the wherewithal and the discipline to do it.

IMO, the topic of money management and investing should be a mandatory class in the senior year of high school. Most teens are not provided any sort of financial guidance by their parents.

Keep the advice coming, Bretsky!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    Bretsky,

You make some valuable insights with your articles. Investing at an early age for retirement is crucial in today's world because the era of company sponsored pensions is coming to an end. Financially planning for retirement is being left almost exclusively up to the individual.

I believe I recently saw an article where 50% of American adults have not save a dime for their retirement. Sadly, this figure includes many Baby Boomers who will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. Trying to retire on just Social Security will just not financially cut it. Our country may see many more seniors below the poverty level 10-20 years from now.

While your goal of investing $500 a month is laudable, most Americans lack both the wherewithal and the discipline to do it.

IMO, the topic of money management and investing should be a mandatory class in the senior year of high school. Most teens are not provided any sort of financial guidance by their parents.

Keep the advice coming, Bretsky!
    Thanks for the kind words OregonPackfan; I'd certainly agree that more than 50% are not planning for retirement and as I think more and more poeple will have to work well past their hopeful retirement age than the past

Agree that the $500 per month is lofty; I could not have did that in my earlier career years. But reality is, everybody should be deciding on a figure. Whether it's $50 a month or $100 a month of $25 a month, what's most important is to start the habits early. You can always increase the money later; what's hard is getting the discipline to start.

Completely agree about money management; I'd love to see high schooler required to taking a course called "Money Accumulation", and that should outline everything from mutual funds to IRA's to compound earnings to the importance of establishing credit so you are able to attain loans in the future.

BTW, I'd never take any of my views or experiences as advice. I'm just sharing ideas and in threads like these I'm honored if one poster could take an idea I share to better themself and I'd also hope I can steal a couple of ideas from others as well.

Cheers,
    B

Those articles are good, but I think young people with student loans to pay, families starting, etc. are often intimidated by the "$500 per month" and other similar large amounts they do not have. What they need to focus on is the value of STARTING, no matter how small, and increasing as they can. When the salary increase comes, keep a little and invest some to increase savings for retirement. Or, take your income tax refund if you get one and put it in your retirement account.

Even small amounts add up. Starting at age 22, investing $100 per month at 10% yields about $640,000 at age 62. If you continue for just 5 more years at age 67 the $680,000 will become $1,060,000. Your actual cash contributions would be only $48,000 and $54,000 respectively.

The key is LONG TERM investing. It is never too early to start, and there is no amount too small to start with. Starting is hard, increasing the amount by committing just a portion of future raises is easy. After a few years, after you see the balance growing and think about what it can mean later in life, you really appreciate it.

? HOFer
    Now here is a question that I have been striving to get an answer for for awhile.

I know RG says that he would probably max out the IRA each year before putting that money down on his mortgage when he is young. This seems like a great idea since I just don't see the value of my house going up by 10% a year.

However, what about student loans and stuff? When I consolidate them, what sort of interest rate do you normally get? Should I just put that money down for a year or two and knock those out completely versus putting the money in the stock market? It would likely be less of a headache just to pay them off right away and have one less bill to pay but I would also have less money growing at 10%.

Also, straight out of college is it a better idea to save up money for the down payment versus investing?

What is the order that I should knock out my bills?

Also, straight out of college is it a better idea to save up money for the down payment versus investing?

I think you're making too much out of that question. You can probably be successful both ways. The important thing is to manage your burn rate. Save more - consume less. That's especially important when your young.

In my opinion, the return % on your investments isn't nearly as important when you're young and have little net worth. Working on your rate of savings is much more impactful.

Partial,

It sounds like you have a good financial head on your young adult shoulders.

In answering your questions, perhaps you should consider the advice of a fee-based, rather than commission-based, Certified Financial Planner to answer your specific questions. He(she) could provide you with more comprensive answers and guidance than semi-knowledgable guys like me.

I am glad you are considering saving/investing at a young age. I have never heard of a wealthy individual claim, "I started investing at way too young!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky

I think the number completely depends on the circumstances. The couple with one job that struggles to save $400 a month could be considered more disciplined that the dual income no kid couple that easily puts away $500/mo. but could be putting away $800/mo.

I agree with Patler. It's all about discipline. Save till it hurts, and then save a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    In answering your questions, perhaps you should consider the advice of a fee-based, rather than commission-based, Certified Financial Planner to answer your specific questions. He(she) could provide you with more comprensive answers and guidance than semi-knowledgable guys like me.

I agree to a point. But you don't need a CFP to tell you about the advantages of a Roth, 401K or home equity. Most people can take care of the no brainer stuff by themselves.

Save the professionals for the truly high degree of difficulty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    There's a difference between becoming a millionaire and becoming rich. The million dollar mark isn't the magical finish line that it used to be. You certainly can't retire at 40 on it.

While it is true that $1m isn't what it used to be, at a 5% return that's still $50 grand a year in perpetuity. You can easily invest in a mutual fund that'll average 10%, many average more over a 10 year period.

The enemy in american life is NOT INVESTING, or anything else, it's PLAIN and SIMPLE - BORROWING MONEY.

If you didn't have a car payment, and lived in a "common sense" house that you could pay for in 15 years, didn't have credit card debt and paid CASH for anything consumable, THEN how much money could you save?

There is a reason that Bank of America is the 12th largest corporation, and it IS NOT because they look out for the "little guy".

"Gotta have it NOW" has costs.... BIG ONES!

I agree with Patler. It's all about discipline. Save till it hurts, and then save a little more.
    All great advise! But then also please be smart enough to retire at an age you can still enjoy yourself. I've seen far too many people that keep staying that extra year for the money....one year leads to an extra 6-7. I've seen so many people retire and then die soon after. What is the sense of all the saving and discipline if you never get to enjoy it? My Dad was lucky enough to enjoy 20+ years of retirement....said he never regretting retiring at a younger age.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

While it is true that $1m isn't what it used to be, at a 5% return that's still $50 grand a year in perpetuity. You can easily invest in a mutual fund that'll average 10%, many average more over a 10 year period.

The enemy in american life is NOT INVESTING, or anything else, it's PLAIN and SIMPLE - BORROWING MONEY.

If you didn't have a car payment, and lived in a "common sense" house that you could pay for in 15 years, didn't have credit card debt and paid CASH for anything consumable, THEN how much money could you save?

There is a reason that Bank of America is the 12th largest corporation, and it IS NOT because they look out for the "little guy".

"Gotta have it NOW" has costs.... BIG ONES!

To expand on this, in the home industry I see customers with the "gotta have it now" mentality making silly decisions all the time.

Now right or wrong, understand that I am in the school of thought that buying a home is a good investment.

But as many are building their equity, others, instead of paying their home loan down, develop the "gotta have it now" mentality with many goodies that are not necessities.

Gotta have that Name Brand 65" HDTV for the new house
    Gotta have the New High End New Washer and Dryer
    Gotta get a newer car
    Gotta improve this and replace this and that in the house.

But have no excess money and barely enough disposable income to do this

But they gotta have it now...........

So consumers come in and get a Line of Credit at Prime (8.25% or Prime Plus 1 depending on their credit..etc).

Then they find more goodies to get. Up goes the credit cards.

And before they know it they are incapable of saving anything and are buried in debt.

Then they borrow from their 401K; and the revolving circle of troube is in full force.

A few years later they come to see me to consilidate everything. And then they begin all over again.

This is what NOT to do.

Like packing money away in investments (a good habit), this cirle of terror develops into a bad habit for a greater % than those saving.

Cheers,
    B

Blog Entries
    Now here is a question that I have been striving to get an answer for for awhile.

I know RG says that he would probably max out the IRA each year before putting that money down on his mortgage when he is young. This seems like a great idea since I just don't see the value of my house going up by 10% a year.

However, what about student loans and stuff? When I consolidate them, what sort of interest rate do you normally get? Should I just put that money down for a year or two and knock those out completely versus putting the money in the stock market? It would likely be less of a headache just to pay them off right away and have one less bill to pay but I would also have less money growing at 10%.

What is the order that I should knock out my bills?

First off, if there are any high interest credit cards it's best to knock those off.

To be honest, I don't have a good command on the student loan industry.
    I've seen rates from 3.99-7.99 on these and honestly I don't know what differentiated the clients.

If I'm at 3.99 and can afford a house, that does not hold me back from going forward or putting that money in investments over the loan. 7.99 is more debateable.

The days of houses going up 10% a year are not around right now; in my area they are still appreciating 3-4%.

RG is not a big fan of buying a house unless you have 20% down and can immediately do a 15Yr Fixed Rate Loan; we just agree to disagree on that one because I don't think that's at all practical in today's world and that strategy would not have worked for me at all.

I keep going back to believing if you have the basic concepts down and develop some sort of plan and execute it, you will be successful.

Because we are all in differing circumstances so there is no exact plan for all

Cheers,
    B