Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Christian Artwork Banned in High School Art Class

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

Christian Artwork Banned in High School Art Class

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. The individual not the institution is expressing themselves. This is not a violation of the supreme courts rulings.

That art teacher should be fired for giving him a zero. Shouldn't a teacher show tolerance towards all religions?

well, this case is pretty ridiculous.

but if it's anything-goes with art, then artistic nativity scenes can be displayed throughout the school.

And if I'm into worshiping the vagina, well, hands off my beavers.

it does open a sticky wicket

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    well, this case is pretty ridiculous.

but if it's anything-goes with art, then artistic nativity scenes can be displayed throughout the school.

And if I'm into worshiping the vagina, well, hands off my beavers.

it does open a sticky wicket
    Nobody said anything about displaying the kids artwork in public. The teacher graded it a zero. Artwork can be private, something that the student did for a grade but doesn't have to show off to his classmates or his school.

once again Harlan your point isn't consistent.

Seems to me that this class wasn't really about creating or appreciating true art if the students have to leave their rights as an American citizens at the door of the school per their teacher.

I despise the notion of a graded art class in high schools...honestly, how does one grade artwork? I also personally believe few high school students today are mature enough to honestly grasp the significance and depth of art. Forcing them to attempt that in a mandatory class seems ridiculous.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?

should kids be able to create artwork that makes fun of christian symbols?

what about the kid that wants make an asshole collage? (guess that would look like the Nutz family reunion.)

don't kids display their artwork?

maybe there is a compromise that can be worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leaper
    Seems to me that this class wasn't really about creating or appreciating true art if the students have to leave their rights as an American citizens at the door of the school per their teacher.
    So anything goes if it is art?

I generally agree. But not in public school.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I generally agree. But not in public school.
    Yeah, that is why I don't like the notion of art in a public school. Art is something all people should come to appreciate...but you don't have to force it on them in high school. That is a period of time where most children are struggling to find their own identity, let alone try to attempt to interpret how someone else views the world.

Art classes should be voluntary in high school...and should be graded on a pass/fail basis. At that point, you can set the limits for decency and not infringe on everyone's perceived rights...if you don't want to deal with it, don't take the class.
    My signature has NUDITY in it...whatcha gonna do?

IF, and I emphasize "IF" the facts set out in the article are correct, the pro-religion, anti-religion and agnostic groups will have a field day with this case. There is something in it for everyone!

The comment that made me chuckle was the art teacher wanting changes in the drawing, because other students were making remarks about it. What an awful thing! Art evoking thought, opinions, discussion and emotion! Artists would be appalled! People talking about a work of art? How disgusting!!!!

The lawsuit is a joke.....just more rabble rousing by a group of Christians who think their rights were trampled down by a godless school district. The rules for the class were pretty clear it sounds like any reference to a religion was not allowed in THIS CLASS. Big freaking deal...paint a landscape with a biblical billboard on your time if you want. I agree that "art" should not be graded in that situation only participation in the class should be...the student participated but just didn't follow the ground rules.
    C.H.U.D.

I despise the notion of a graded art class in high schools...honestly, how does one grade artwork? I also personally believe few high school students today are mature enough to honestly grasp the significance and depth of art. Forcing them to attempt that in a mandatory class seems ridiculous.
    I agree with you about grading art. I know someone who takes pictures and keeps asking me if they're good. I say "do you like them?" And that is the only criteria I set. If she likes what she sees then it's good. I think it's good for kids to be exposed to the arts. Let 'em draw whatever. Expose them to art that others have done, the work of the Masters, but don't try to hand out a grade on something that's so subjective.

I would be interested to see what the other drawings from the class looked like, recalling that the assignment was to do a landscape.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy

I agree with you about grading art. I know someone who takes pictures and keeps asking me if they're good. I say "do you like them?" And that is the only criteria I set. If she likes what she sees then it's good. I think it's good for kids to be exposed to the arts. Let 'em draw whatever. Expose them to art that others have done, the work of the Masters, but don't try to hand out a grade on something that's so subjective.

I would be interested to see what the other drawings from the class looked like, recalling that the assignment was to do a landscape.

You're referring to me aren't you...............

Let 'em draw whatever. Expose them to art that others have done, the work of the Masters, but don't try to hand out a grade on something that's so subjective.

That's solid advice, and worthy of a B+.

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland

You're referring to me aren't you...............
    No, dear, you teach me. I'm referring to my new office mate. She loves taking pictures around her house but isn't confident in whether they're any good or not. I keep telling her that if she likes them, then they're good. It's not like she's going to go off and try and get them in a gallery show or anything.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

"His teacher, Julie Millin, asked him to remove the reference to the Bible, saying students were making remarks about it. He refused, and she gave him a zero on the project.

Millin showed the student a policy for the class that prohibited any violence, blood, sexual connotations or religious beliefs in artwork. The lawsuit claims Millin told the boy he had signed away his constitutional rights when he signed the policy at the beginning of the semester.

The boy tore the policy up in front of Millin, who kicked him out of class. Later that day, assistant principal Cale Jackson told the boy his religious expression infringed on other students' rights.

Jackson told the boy, his stepfather and his pastor at a meeting a week later that religious expression could be legally censored in class assignments. Millin stated at the meeting the cross in the drawing also infringed on other students' rights.

.................................................. ....................................

The joke is the hostility toward religion and free expression on the part of the teacher and assistant principal and selective enforcement of unconstitutional rules in determining that a cross, a drawing of one cross, a religious symbol seen throughout the world and inextricably intertwined with American history, somehow "infringed on other students' rights."

Again, John Q. Public has to yield to the sensibilities of John Q. Pagan.

I hope the lawsuit is successful and Mr. Jackson and Ms. Millin get to undergo "sensitivity training" and have someone remind them of American history and that Supreme Court rulings protecting speech supercede their own private hostile biases against religion.

Well, to that topic, if a kid drawing a cross into his classroom work is infringing on other students' rights, then what about every church, temple and mosque in the country. What they saw is likely nothing different than they see in their everyday lives anyway, yet these people act like the students are somehow being violated by it? Yeesh.

Watch it, MJZ.

You just may go blind! Here is the offensive artwork:

How will these high schools seniors ever survive the psychological harm from this drawing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    Watch it, MJZ.

You just may go blind! Here is the offensive artwork:

How will these high schools seniors ever survive the psychological harm from this drawing?
    I like it. Looks like an album cover for some bible thumping metal band.
    C.H.U.D.

My take on this..Thinking back some 20plus years since I sat in an art class in high school.....God, (oops I used the G word lol ) who cares.. I'd say the only person who felt the need to make it an issue was the teacher.. I say what the fuck if this dude wants to draw a cross.. Or, if the next guy writes.....whatever... on his land scape thing. Chasing girls, sports, and maybe drinking beer where on my mind...Not what some dick beater who sat next to me drew a picture of... I just find it hard to believe that the students were offended.. Probably wrong... I miss the good old days.
    Formerly known as "Jeffro66".

I'm thinking its on Ozzy's next disk cover... Cool drawing BTW...
    Formerly known as "Jeffro66".