Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
Fair enough. But a high pick on a depth piece when we’re consistently good at finding tackles in later rounds….

If you draft a tackle and he’s really good, you want to trade Rasheed after next year for a 1st or maybe 2 firsts if he’s a top 5 guy next year. Then you pay Tom and have 3 more years of a rookie deal at tackle. It’s not bad at all.

But it’s kind of a waste to use a top 26 pick on a backup.
I know you like Rasheed and he's come along nicely, but he still has the occasional brainfart/bad effort moments and they needed to platoon him with Njiman to get his head screwed on.
Next season the depth behind Walker and Tom will be nonexistent unless you think Tenuta is the answer or you want to start playing musical chairs with your other line spots (i.e., move Jenkins).
I guess if Bakhtiari is back and can play most of a season or a full season you're ok, but I wouldn't count on him being on the roster and that's not a good long term answer.
Njiman is good as gone.

If there's a player out there who can start as the swing tackle and push Rasheed to keep improving that's not nothing. I don't think they will be in a position to take a day 1 starting OT anyway, the best ones will be gone by the time they pick in R1. I think they will go defense in R1, either corner or safety.

You need more than 2 OT's. Walker's blocking improved and that combined with their draft position diminishes the need to reach for a T but it never hurts to have another guy developing in the pipeline. Longer term, the contracts for Walker and Tom will expire same year, I am skeptical they will keep both. Some teams fail to draft/develop/retain good tackles and their QBs get stomped. This team is shaping up to go as far and the offense will take them, that means boosting the offensive pieces around Jordan Love.