Report: Reid Told Blago Not to Appoint Jesse Jr.

January 03, 2009 9:34 AM
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., called Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich before his arrest to argue against his appointing Democratic Illinois Reps. Jesse Jackson, Jr., or Danny Davis or State Senate President Emil Jones to replace President-elect Barack Obama in the Senate "because he did not believe the three men were electable. He feared losing the seat to a Republican in a future election."

Reid, the Sun-Times report says, favored the appointment of Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs director Tammy Duckworth or Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.

In other news, CNN reports that a Senate aide says that if former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris, Blago's pick to replace Obama in the Senate, "tries to enter the Senate chamber, the Senate doorkeeper will stop Burris. If Burris were to persist, either trying to force his way onto the Senate floor or refusing to leave and causing a scene, U.S. Capitol Police would stop him ... They [police] probably won't arrest him, but they would call the sergeant-at-arms."

They did the same thing to Alan Page in Minnesota and a guy(if anyone can dig that one up) in New York State running for the senate if memory serves.

Unbelievable.

I like JJ jr. I think he handles himself very well and represents his constituency. I'm afraid his career is over however.