Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
With a focus on a stupid penalty that led to a series of events that cost Brett Favre and the Vikings a Super Bowl appearance last season; and led to other factors of Vikings concern:

12 MEN IN THE HUDDLE REWIND

Coming out of their second timeout with 19 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter and the score tied 28-28, the Vikings were in chaos facing a crucial third-and-long.

Fullback Naufahu Tahi was still on the field after blocking for Adrian Peterson on the previous no gain. Head coach Brad Childress and running backs coach Eric Bieniemy frantically waved for Tahi to get out of the huddle. Brett Favre, too, realized the problem and hurriedly called timeout, but not before flags flew.

The penalty knocked Minnesota back to the 38, confronting kicker Ryan Longwell with a potential 56-yard attempt instead of 51 yards and convincing the Vikings they needed to pass on third and 15.

Favre, gimpy on a severely sprained left ankle, rolled right and had at least 10 yards of open field between him and the far sideline to run, but he elected to throw across his body for Sidney Rice. Cornerback Tracy Porter intercepted.

New Orleans promptly won the overtime coin toss. Returner Pierre Thomas raced 40 yards from the goal line to give the Saints fantastic field position and set up Garrett Hartley for the 40-yard boot that put them in the Super Bowl.

The Vikings never touched the ball again.

On the kick coverage, Cedric Griffin, the Vikings' interception leader, tore his left anterior cruciate ligament, which required reconstructive surgery and leaves his status for tonight's rematch a game-time decision.

— Brian Murphy
I am not clear on why you are rehashing this sequence now. Is there something new in what Murphy is writing that we didn't know before? Whatever the case, let's note for the record that: (1) Favre didn't call timeout until the Vikings had broken the huddle and were getting set at the line of scrimmage; and (2) that the Vikings had already taken a timeout after the previous play and thus Favre's calling a second timeout would have resulted in a penalty in its own right had they not been penalized for 12 in the huddle.
" I am not clear on why you are rehashing this sequence now. Is there something new in what Murphy is writing that we didn't know before? "
... hoosier

I was looking at a popular Minnesota website last night and discovered similiar stories that we've seen of late RE: Vikings and need or not at WR. and ... Of their owners passion to see his team go all the way and win the Super Bowl .

When I found this article. I thought it was interesting that the author revisited that penalty. I felt that penalty was a crushing blow to the Vikings chance to be NFC Champ. I was heavily involved in that game.

Just prior to that penalty. I was picturing former Packer kicker Ryan Longwell, making about a 50 yarder. Also I was amazed given the punishment Favre received, and the turns of fortune that went against the Vikings. That they still looked good to advance to the Super Bowl. I'm sure many Vikings fans were tasting it. NFL fans were somewhere between pleased for 'the Vikings ' given their undaunted yet unrewarded history and hating the moment, as the Vikings looked good to win that berth to the Super Bowl.

Then that ridiculous or untimely penalty. It had to be brutal to be a Vikings fan.... Then I began to reflect on this wonderful game we love. Of all the experiences we have felt as football fans of the NFL or a specific team.

We are Packer fans and damn proud of that fact.

Last night I reflected on the past experiences I felt as a Packer and NFL fan. It made me think of OUR sudden loss to the 49ers on ' the Steve Young closing series', that shouldn't have been, as the Officials blew that call on 49er's WR Jerry Rice.

It still bugs me.

Then ' the drive ' by San Fran QB Steve Young and that subsequent incredibly acrobatic leaping tand falling to the ground catch by Terrell Owens. T.O. was surrounded by Packer defenders and he wouldn't be denied on that wild right to left slant to the end zone. What a frick'n catch !!

I couldn't believe I saw that happen. My immediate reaction: It should never have been. NFL Officials had done it to us again! As they've done it to many NFL teams, and will do so in the future. Sunday afternoon Officials in ' the most exciting league on the planet '. The look of Holmgren and Favre on the sideline, as our fate was sealed. The feeling we as Packer fans felt, ' disbelief '. We had lost that vital game. All the passion... of that whole thing.

That 12 man in the huddle penalty also made me think of the improbable, the infamous ' 4 and 26 '. How we blew that game. How since we tossed that around. How we have come to somehow gleen a wee bit of ' the people we are here' as individuals. How we have agreed and disagreed with one another and somehow maintained this Packer fan site. Our Packer home.

Look back at that 12 man in the huddle penalty, from a standpoint of how similiar happenings in crucial games affected us as Packer fans. I'm much more than ' just as Packer fan '. I love the NFL game and all the build up, hype and drama.

I happen to feel that the common fans have alot more on the ball than alot of people (people even here at Packerrats) are willing to credit them with. It seems to me that some of the people here actually believe that ** their team managements, ALL RIGHT **. I seperate religion and Pro sports.

Back to:

a)12 men in the huddle .. Saints/Vikings NFC Championship Game 2009/10

b)The Steve Young Drive and the T.O. catch ( 49ers Steve Young, Jerry Rice and T.O. )

c)Packers and Philly NFC Championship game ( 4th and 26 )

That as NFL fans we take any moment in a game, any way we want to, as individuals. We either like it, love it, hate it, or are asleep, don't give a damn or otherwise, indifferent to it. We all share the moment as NFL fans and react as our emotions or intellect direct us. That's just one example of how ' I feel ' we should conduct ourselves in this lifetime. With respect.

These are my thoughts hoosier. Can't we as members here grow as a community and learn something from every member? Re-build PackerRats to the best fan site offered on the internet?

I believe 'that utopian thought' has promise. I reached out to a member here ' last night ' that has disappeared for some reason. I'm concerned about this fella. Is he ok. Has his life taken a down turn? Is it any of my business? **

**Well he'll get my message or not and decide that matter.

This is a community. As members we should care more about our posters that have made significant contributions to the growth and experience at Packerrats. That attitude may influence other posters to step up their game and fill the roles of those missing.

My name is Ed. woodbuck27