Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
Except that, exception truly exceptional running backs like Adrian Peterson, running back does not offer very good positional value in the first round. Almost without exception I would rather take a running back at the end of the second, third, or fourth round than in the first. Since Ingram is not a special talent, and a top RB is not necessary to succeed in the NFL I would much rather take a second or third tier guy in the later rounds and a guy at a harder position to fill than take a top tier running back and try to find a gem at the positions that have a higher degree of difficulty to pick.

Sign me up for LeShoure, Williams, Vereen, Harper, Hunter, Jones, or Rodgers in the second or later as dictated by your board, but I would never draft a non-special RB in the first round. So if I were in the draft room at 1265 Lombardi, I would argue vehemently for a guy like Ijalana over a guy like Ingram. In terms of "positional value" I would put RB behind QB, OT, OG, OC, WR, DE, NT, OLB, CB, and about even with S, TE, and ILB (though probably behind S.) And it's not like, in our mock, there's not considerable value at some of the more valuable positions available here at #32. Ijalana or Watkins are BPA here, it's just that people don't think they are since they watch Alabama football and not Villanova or Baylor football.
I can agree with that. Except that some may think that Ingram is special. Maybe not on par with AD or Chris Johnson but closer to a Frank Gore or MJD caliber back. That may be worth an R1. Its all probably moot anyway. I don't think we'll get him.