Quote Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I don't care how long it takes. Eventually AAPL will get to a 20ish PE like most other big companies. They're a steal and a half and not going anywhere any time soon. I don't have the time to day trade, so I stick with safe stocks mathematically backed to have big returns.

I'm more than happy with the 100% returns I've seen on my AAPL. I'll be overjoyed at 200% in a 3 year stint. That's pretty unbelievable.
Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
Who said anything about day trading?

Your 100% return on AAPL is not all that unusual or unique for the period during which it happened. If you have a 100% return, you have owned the stock for around 2 years, at least. During that same time period, you would have had a 200% return already if you had bought PCLN ($500+ now, $160s just 2 years ago). CMI was in the low $40s 2 years ago and hit $120 earlier this year. CAT was in the $30s and $40s in the summer and fall of '09 and is in the high $80s now after having been above $110 for a while this spring and summer. DE went from the low $40s to above $90 and currently is around $80. HOG went from sub $20 to plus $40.

While your initial investment may increase by another 100% if AAPL hits $600, the gain for new money invested (or of the current value of your AAPL holding) will be around 60%. To get there, AAPL has to travel through a price territory that it has never been in. It is in a highly competitive market where one misstep could have a significant impact. I think AAPL is pretty well positioned to get to $600, but I also think there are some old, stodgy companies that might have similar returns from this time forward (if we don't go into another recession), and they can get there just by continuing to do what they have done for 100 years or more. To hedge my bets, I will probably buy some of those soon to hold along with the AAPL stock I already have.