Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
Awe, shit, Wist. . . How many 6'4" 283lb DL come into the league every year who can hand fight with lineman well. Most guys make a living at that age on pure athleticism, jumping snaps and getting quick penetration. This guy has some skill on top of his raw talent. And every DL (NFL or otherwise) looks hot and cold. They're going against some bad-ass OL. Sometimes they just get stopped. At the end of Clifton's prime (and the beginning of Jared Allen's prime) there were a couple games where Jared Allen looked like CJ Wilson. DL don't win every battle and sometimes the OL just make them look bad, even if they're great. In the case of Jared Allen, I remember games where he looked bad from start to finish. And he's never been bad. Getting two pressures and one sack per game is all-pro.

I'm not a big fan of reading into the, looks great some plays, gets stopped others, thing. I think that's the nature of the game.

Justin Smith came into the league as a 6'4" 264 pound 4-3 DE. . . This kid we got has both talent (size/athleticism) and skill. And he wants to work, he wants to be great. . . . I just don't see him as a scary pick. Nick Perry now, that's another story. To me, that's a scary pick.
Justin Smith is just a badass son of a bitch... I don't get too hung up on size.

As for giving up the edge - sorry, that is not acceptable. Justin Smith would never allow himself to be turned and ridden out of a play the way I see Jones sometimes.

As it said in the write up 3irth1 posted - I didn't write that. Jones does, in fact, have a bit of a history of 'playing down to the competition'. I probably watched more film of Jones than I did anyone else, it was enough to scare me off him. I like his ability, but I'm not sure what we're getting.