Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
Thx Boss. I was trying to remember the adjustments & you did the job listing 'em here. On pt 3, you mean Tramon covers the slot in nickel, right? that's getting to be the new move. Put your best coverman on the slot guy and eliminate the slants and sluggo's.

Wist I gotta get on your ass some. Capers isn't a ninny or a boob. He's a man trying to run a stable and he doesn't have all the horses. DC the DC did a masterful job in putting together the D gameplan for the Bears. Before we all break our arms patting ol Don on the back, it needs to be noted that we moved from 32 in the NFL vs the run to 30th. That still ain't gonna hack the program, passing league or not.

Claymat to ILB looks good, but you are still putting a guy in a position we should already have covered, but we don't. That chase ILB spot is well-suited to Clay, but you are still asking a thorobred to pull a milk wagon. Matthews is a great OLB, he will get dinged if we play him inside. Those ILB's have guys coming at them at all angles.
Sorry KY, but Dom is a ninny and a boob!!! lol...

As I said, what we saw on Sunday is in large measure a healthy dose of what I've been calling for forever...

Yes he ran some 2-4, but not that idiotic "jumbo 2-4" (not that that is an option now that they've jettisoned all the fat guys), and not in "either/or" situations. He ran the 2-4 as a subpackage, and in primarily pass-pass situations.

Given our personnel, I would still prefer running a 3-3, but given the personnel he had on the field, I view it as a gigantic step in the right direction.

In short, all dunderdummy did was utilize the personnel he has available to him much more effectively - it only took him 3 years to figure it out - or rather, it only took 3 years for MM and TT to pressure him to use them correctly. Any which way, what we saw was a flash of what our defense might could be - which is slightly better than average over the long haul, as opposed to last in run defense and getting repeatedly embarrassed.

We're going to struggle against the run to some extent - but there's no reason we can't be a top 1/2 defense, and that should be enough to give us a legitimate punchers chance.