Thread: Who called it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Now I'm guilty of it. I went back and watched the final drive. The Packers had Peppers, Daniels, Jones and Perry rushing to start the series. I'd expect that four to get some pressure but it didn't happen. Because of that, they blitzed 3 times during that series to try to get pressure. It worked once.

The first time Burnett came free but Ryan got it out to Sanu for an incompletion. It was the play that Gunter jumped the route expecting the hot read but Sanu's hands got to the ball first.

The next play Atlanta ran a screen in anticipation of another blitz but fortunately the Packers covered and held that up for a short gain.

Later Joe Thomas blitzed up the middle but was snuffed. He was stuffed by the center and had no shot so then appeared to be spying Ryan as much as blitzing.

Then on the third and one prior to the game winner the Packers brought the house and Ryan hit the TE for a first down who was not covered due to the blitz.

The rest is history. They brought fresher guys in to try to get to the QB. Nothing really worked. So while what they did was ineffective, it's revisionist to say they didn't try to get pressure on the last drive. The intent was there. The results were not.
    Last edited by vince; 11-01-2016 at 12:46 PM.