We had better pieces all-around on defense in 2010... Matthews 2010 is light years better than Matthews 2018. The other OLB spot was below average in 2010, so advantage 2018.

As for the rest of the defense - it is advantage 2010 over 2018 at every position. Cullen Jenkins was playing better than Daniels or Clark; Pickett was playing very well. Bishop was better than either of our current ILB's. Nick Collins and Charles Woodson?? No comparison to the 2018 players needs to be made. Willams in his prime and Shields playing at a high level??

There's no comparison between 2010 and 2018.

There's some talent to work with on the defensive side of the ball, but it needs to be developed and we need a lot of luck on the injury front. We have zero depth at LB... unless Gilbert continues to improve. Fackrell will likely be cut, I don't think Burks can contribute much of anything this year, and I don't expect anything out of Beigel. The DB's are going to be a work in progress - to be sure there will be growing pains.

Best case scenario is that the defense can gel by mid-season, and the young guys can step up by seasons end and be counted on to perform at a higher than average level. That's asking a lot I think.