Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
I don’t know how to disagree more about TLJ. It’s flawed from start to finish. All of the characters from 7 had their arcs completed fucked. Everyone in the movie did nothing for 2 hours. Take out Finns side quest and the movie does not change other than runtime. Commander Hux is a Vaudville bad guy complete with spittle during yelling. Snoke invented force FaceTime, then died by not paying attention. Literally the exact same way as Maul. Cut in half and surprised.

1:20 OJ in a Bronco chase scene through space. No drama. No build up. Just acres of stupid. Space is fucking 3 dimensional. Light speed ahead of the pack and blow them up. Who the hell would chase them at full impulse power for a week? Then Luke runs out of force juice by using too much force? He was apparently stalling hen there was another way out of the cave the whole time. They just needed the glass Pokémon dog to chow them the way?

Why is Luke a brooding hermit? Hamil himself was super pissed when he read the script. The whole thing was a jumbled mess. Reys parents where drug addicts who sold her for cash? I’d say Abrams did a hell of a job cleaning up the story line after Johnson’s ham fisted commentary on today’s society.
What he said.

Episode 4, when it first came out, was just a mash-up of: The Hidden Fortress, 12 O'clock High, Spaghetti Westerns, Pirate movies and Flash Gordon.

Lucas was just trying to capture the magic of afternoon matinee serials of his childhood. Which he did but only because his editors, including his now ex-wife, saved the film.

But because his ideas were half baked, he didn't have a real idea what came before or after. That's why the EU took off, other writers had ample room to work. This is why you don't see a LOtR 'expanded kingdoms', Tolkien had already done the work of world-building.

At least the prequels had a coherent, if poorly executed, plot arc. The sequel trilogy became this incoherent mess because of the director's bitch fight between Abrams and the other guy.

The flaws of episode 7 aside; rehashing old plot arcs, there was some room to work. But the other guy totally messed it up.

I haven't read them, but true fanboys report the Timothy Zahn books would have made a far better sequel trilogy.