Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
Folks, I know some of you think this is not real, but you literally would have to be dumb as a box of rocks to think that way. Its not the flu, its not a bad cold, its a 'novel' virus, i.e. never seen before. And for some of you saying it is dumb to cancel events, I have seen graphs of daily infected of countries who are not locking down vs countries who are locking down, and its not even close. And be careful on mortality rates, I'm pretty sure the denominator is not those with symptoms, it is those who have been officially diagnosed. And in the good old USA, who does not have enough test kits yet, I am concerned we are WAY behind the curve. You can love or hate the current administration, but they also are way behind the curve, they should have been preparing when China first started having outbreaks.
Agree. For those nonsmokers in good health under 50, it's easy to be cavalier about this. I'm not going to panic and go full tilt prepper, but I sure don't want a respiratory virus or lesions on my lungs. If cancelling events can prevent the spread of this, as a practical matter it's a reasonable idea, and within the rights of the governing bodies to decide.

Risking public health for a sporting event is a weird debate to have.

And I also agree that the US is behind the curve on this. The White House has made statements that clearly contradict the government's own medical experts, and it has caused fear, confusion, and doubt. I hope they can get on the same page and make up ground on combating the severity of this virus.