Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Second Round Pick, #34, Christian Watson Discussion Thread

Since 2014 there has been one player/year on average that has been 6'4"+ and 215 or smaller. It's a dumb argument. None of them ran close to the 40yd or 10yd time that Watson did. Martavis Bryant (who was a great talent but had a 10 cent head--which is why he went in the 4th round) was closest at 4.42 (with a 1.57 split).
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Mike Evans is a Hall of Famer in my book. He’s only caught more than 74 balls twice.
    DeSean Jackson has only caught more than 62 balls once.

Yet I would take them over Jarvis Landry and his 100 catches and 998 yards.

You can affect the game greatly if you have 60 catches at 15+ yards/catch.
    Indeed.

Julio Jones & Sammy Watkins were both possession / no YAC receivers last year, a lot like Landry has always been. Tonyan, Cobb, Watkins, Lazard, and Jones / Dillon are the reliable guys.

The three draft picks can all be dangerous, take off the top types, explosive plays. You don't need much from them. It's MLF's time to shine: he's just gotta scheme them and Rodgers stay within the plan.

But these three picks are the best since Adams. They are all in the "mold" we like. Tae gave his thumbs up to Watson; James Jones likes all three. They have the mind set it takes (which MVS did not acquire until in his third year, per Rodgers). All three are farther along than MVS who got 600 in his rookie year. In the short term: some bumps. But I like all three, esp Doubs and Watson.
    Last edited by Jaire; 05-13-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I counted 9 in breaking or out breaking routes in his college career. And half of them were long crossers where he didnt get separation on his break.

I see him similar to MVS but with a good come back route and good with the ball in his hands. So I think hell out perform MVS. He does a little more. He might be more consistent than MVS hauling in the long passes too.

But like MVS, hes limited in his route running. Not only does he not get separation with most of his routes, but he also doesnt body out defenders and make contested catches. That limits him from being a consistent 7 catch a game type player. Its more feast and famine with him unless they scheme him the ball a couple times per game.

We badly needed a deep threat. He brings a lot to the table in that regard. I see no reason he cant get 6 or 700 yards in year 1 like MVS did as a rookie. I see no reason he cant get a little better and be a 1,000 yard guy.

I dont think hell ever be a volume pass catcher. He just doesnt have the skillset.
    Route running refinement can be taught. And we schemed Adams the ball 2x a game and he did nothing with it, so I see that as an upgrade. MVS improved his route tree every season. I think we got a poor mans Julio and a Rich mans MVS. That could shape out to be a very good WR.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I went through the top 150 all time players. Careers like Robert Woods, Randall Cobb and Amari Cooper. There are 5 tall skinny guys

Randy Moss
    AJ Green
    Herman Moore
    Keyshon Johnson
    Ed McCaffrey

Being tall (limits ability to create separation) and skinny (limits ability to box out) is not a good combo to be an NFL receiver.

But Watson looks to be able to get deep and run that stop route (and turn it up field) and get screens and jet sweeps.

He might end up being a good #2 or maybe he grinds and works his way to being a rare tall skinny #1.
    A skinny 22 year old is different than a skinny 25 year old. By age 25 Watson could go 225. A couple real off seasons with NFL trainers makes a lot of difference. However, the packers have drafted in a way that gives me serious hope. When you have a really strong run game you need to be able to take the top off. Think 80s Raiders. We have the best QB ever at throwing the deep ball. If we run the offense the way its meant to be run, we have the horses necessary. 2 years ago Tennessee opened each playoff game with a bomb completed in the first few plays. Thats who we want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'd hardly call Watson skinny. Also, why isn't Calvin Johnson on your list? Harold Carmichael? probably a lot of others. Megatron would seem to be the most obvious to compare to Watson. Having Rodgers throwing to him and not having any other obvious more likely target is gonna propel Watson to extreme stats sooner rather than later.
    CJ was a rock solid 235...He was shannon sharp with a 4.4 40. Skinny isn't the word I think of.

A skinny 22 year old is different than a skinny 25 year old.
    He turned 23 yesterday.
    For the record I agree his floor is MVS; I think he can do all the things MVS -- which KC proved has value -- and potential to do more with better agility and rookie season route running skills. Don't think MVS was ever a KR either, you don't put slouches back there to do that. I think his ceiling is probably something like DK Metcalf, I'm not sold on him approaching Julio or Moss although the kid supposedly is a hard worker.

I don't know how all the Watson stuff ends up in the Doubs thread hahahaha, but I will copy my post from there in here too:

Yeah, all those guys will get a few more targets than they got when Adams was there, and yeah, likely none of them individually will match Adams, maybe not even any two. However, CLEARLY - IMO - Watson will get targeted the most and will get the most receptions. Why? Because nobody else except him will be worthy of the most targets. Whether he plus the second place guy - Watkins, Lazard, or whoever surpass Adams, not so clear, but regardless, the team will be fine, and Watson will be great even as a rookie.

And I say again, Watson will have a better year with Rodgers throwing to him than Adams will have with Carr throwing to him. Mark it down as a prediction.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I don't understand this:
    none of them individually will match Adams
    AND
    Watson will have a better year with Rodgers throwing to him than Adams will have with Carr throwing to him
    Do you mean the Packers will do better than the Raiders? Because if Watson can't match Adams, how would he have a better year? Can you explain what you mean?

I meant Watson alone and maybe even he and whoever is second together likely won't match Adams' total last year.

As for the other, for about the third time now, I'm saying Rodgers to Watson will outdo Carr to Adams.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jordy didn’t have a lot of sharp cutting on his college highlights.

"There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Breakdown of what Watson will bring to the Packers scheme

[QUOTE=HarveyWallbangers;1116300]Jordy didn

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Breakdown of what Watson will bring to the Packers scheme

There are two big qualities that help guys get bulk targets. 1. Creates separation on breaks. 2. Big body to box out and then hes always open. Jordy was a big body who was unfazed by contact.

I dont think Watson does either, but hes probably the 3rd type that you love to have. Hes a vertical threat and has a go to underneath route (the come back route.) Hes also really good with the ball in
    his hands. He has strengths.

Hes going to be an explosive piece. Almost every one of McGinns scouts thought hed be a player. One guy didnt like him.

Im on board with him being a good piece. Hes a unique athlete, but I dont buy the super hype that hes some generational talent and the best receiver in the draft. I just think some of the hype goes too far.

Im on board with him being a good piece. Hes a unique athlete, but I dont buy the super hype that hes some generational talent and the best receiver in the draft. I just think some of the hype goes too far.
    I feel that way about every prospect. You can never guarantee how guys are going to turn out. But I don't have any reason to doubt Watson anymore than I have reason to doubt. Drake London

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I feel that way about every prospect. You can never guarantee how guys are going to turn out. But I don't have any reason to doubt Watson anymore than I have reason to doubt. Drake London
    Yeah, I have questions about all of the guys from this draft. Garrett Wilson, Olave, Williams and Dotson all have size questions. Drake London is a possession type who thrives in tight quarters and has a speed question. Burks has a speed question and whether he really understands the game question. Watson doesnt really use his size well boxing out and doesnt win on his breaks.

I dont think any of them are slam dunks and all of them do enough different things well that you picture them contributing.

We got a vertical weapon with some underneath ability in the second round. We probably got the best deal.

And like has been said, Watson fits what we do with the run game and vertical ability.

Watson is MVS with a comeback route and better YAC.

If MVS was a 700 yard guy, Watson might be 1,000.

I thought Watson showed potential for a back shoulder too. If he masters that, he might be a vertical #1 WR.

I like the Toure kid, the seventh rounder. I think he'll develop and by mid-year-three be the real deal.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Watson has had his share of drops according the the mediaheads watching TC; not over the top excesssive but enough

Romeo has been more consistent there and appears more developed but Watson has the upside.

And whispers....Jordan Love has looked ok
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I watched a little bit of the QBs when I went to practice. Love looked clearly more athletic than Rodgers. Was accurate on all but one throw.

But it all changes with a pass rush and disguised defenses.

I doubt Love will be good but theres still an outside chance.