Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Here's the thing. If you run even a 4.4, once you have a step on the D it takes even a 4.3 guy 20 yards to catch you. So If Watson is fast enough in the 10 to GET that step he is almost impossible to run down.

I have always mocked people who "worship at the altar of the 40". The 10 yard split is easily the most important stat in football. For skill positions the 3 cone and short shuttle are also just as important. For "bigs" the explosion drills matter more. Who wins coming out of their stance wins the down.
I've heard most scouts now actually look at the flying 20 more than the full 40 to get a sense of a player's speed.
I still think the 10 yd is important though - to me it shows burst and also how fast you can run up on a CB's toes and possibly get them off their leverage. Explosion drills are good for burst/acceleration as well. Agree on the agility drills, I think they matter for separating and route running and are especially important for slot receivers.

Watson's combine numbers were pretty crazy, especially given his size. It's tough to have good 10yd split and agility numbers at his size.