I don't really understand that positioning. I think it's wrong.

Rodgers re-negotiated his contract in 2021 to remove the 2023 year, so if they didn't give him an extension, he'd be a lame duck and/or a free agent right now.

He was coming off back to back MVPs, who isn't resigning that guy when he has one year left??

He got 10% more than Josh Allen a year later and about 12% more than Mahomes two years later. That feels about right and typical of contracts, no?

One can gripe about the structure of the contract and I think that is fair to complain about but it looks like it was done such a way to minimize cap space used in 2022 and 2023. Would you rather they have as much extra space as possible to sign other players in 2022 and 2023 and pay the bill later when they're rebuilding or pay it all up front? I want the championships like Bretsky so the answer is obvious.

In short, I don't think what Gooter did is different than what every other GM would have done. Pay this man his money. Don't splash the pot.

The other thing I think is sorta weird is the positioning that he's not worth the contract or whatever. Fair enough, but he earned it at the time and all parties agreed so it's not really your concern one way or another. The team probably isn't winning with Rodgers or Love right now so I don't really care about the money aspect and would rather just see ARod play a bit more ball if possible.