Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

The last time the Packers drafted a _______ in the 1st round.

QB: 2020 - Jordan Love

RB: 1990 - Darrell Thompson

WR: 2002 - Javon Walker

TE: 2000 - Bubba Franks

OT: 2011 - Derek Sherrod

IOL: 1994 - Aaron Taylor

DL: 2022 - Devonte Wyatt

Edge: - 2019 - Rashan Gary

CB: - 2021 - Eric Stokes

S: - 2019 - Darnell Savage
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Parallel Darrell!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Why do people so often capitalize "edge" rusher as EDGE rusher?

I see it all the time, not picking on you - it's just that I see it in your post, like so many others.

I mean, we don't write SLOT corner. I just wonder why it's done that way.
    It's often used in the websites to differentiate the position from ILBs or DT's. Just a newer thing; makes it easier since some teams use multiple fronts often. I've seen ED for Edge defender as well, or DB for a secondary player who plays multiple spots (usually a S who plays slot corner).
    Where it drives me crazy is when some sites list players without any height & weight dimensions, so you have no idea if the dude is 6-5 290 or 6-3 240 without digging. There's a big difference in whether they'd be an undersized DPR (designated pass rusher) type of payer or a DE you can play on base downs.
    Gute's not likely to look at an undersized edge defender so it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Parallel Darrell!
    I had high hopes for Darrell, then he fumbled on the goal line vs. KC and I knew he wasn't going to cut it. Different era back then when RBs mattered.
    Drafting Tony Bennett, LeRoy Butler and Bryce Paup (and Jackie Harris) still made that a pretty good draft overall.

Hey, you remember Brent Fullwood? RB drafted with the 4th overall pick in 87. We used to call him Brent Fumblewood. Probably the last RB picked in R1 before Thompson. Thank goodness they eventually got smart and hired guys like Wolf to run things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I tend to agree. But after he took an ILB at #22 last year, you can't be too sure.

Given our history, are we just eliminating the offense from consideration in round one ? lol
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I have no idea what we draft this year. S, DL, OLB, stud OT if 1 drops, WR, TE. It seems like every position could use an improvement over 2022 play.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Other than QB, I think every position is open and maybe even QB if someone drops. CB seemed great going into 22 but Douglas regressed and Stokes got hurt and who knows how he will respond after injury. Safety was a complete shit show this year. Amos played ok in stretches but Savage/Ford/whoever else was a tire fire.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

i think i'll vomit if we draft defense in the 1st again

some site had the biggest 1 year drop offs from last year to this year based on PFF

11 of the 16 players they mentioned were on defense. when you have that many players drop off like that you have to look at the coaches

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I had high hopes for Darrell, then he fumbled on the goal line vs. KC and I knew he wasn't going to cut it. Different era back then when RBs mattered.
    Drafting Tony Bennett, LeRoy Butler and Bryce Paup (and Jackie Harris) still made that a pretty good draft overall.

Hey, you remember Brent Fullwood? RB drafted with the 4th overall pick in 87. We used to call him Brent Fumblewood. Probably the last RB picked in R1 before Thompson. Thank goodness they eventually got smart and hired guys like Wolf to run things.
    I tried to forget him, but I still remember.

We got one good season and ended up getting just a 7th rounder for him like four years after he was drafted. Loads of potential, but no desire to apply it
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 01-16-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Why do people so often capitalize "edge" rusher as EDGE rusher?

I see it all the time, not picking on you - it's just that I see it in your post, like so many others.

I mean, we don't write SLOT corner. I just wonder why it's done that way.
    I've just gotten used to seeing it. Any board or scouting reports that show EDGE (instead of OLB, DE, etc.) capitalize that now.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-6096034d69bd/
    https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...ll-anderson-jr

TBH, it would look kind of silly if it wasn't capitalized. I think it's done because all of the other positions are abbreviations and are capitalized.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think i'll vomit if we draft defense in the 1st again

some site had the biggest 1 year drop offs from last year to this year based on PFF

11 of the 16 players they mentioned were on defense. when you have that many players drop off like that you have to look at the coaches
    I'm not surprised. Defense tends to have higher variability year over year performance-wise than offense... I think because things like interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles have a certain amount of luck involved, and also because the teams (and their QBs) they might face could be very different from one season to the next. Some guys -- cough, DeVondre Campbell -- can also just go on a hot streak, coincidentally in a contract year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Given our history, are we just eliminating the offense from consideration in round one ? lol
    yes

unless it's an OT.

Over the last 17 drafts, Packers players on offense drafted in 1st round are Brian Bulaga, Derek Sherrod and Jordan Love. That's it.

Have a feeling we will take the ND TE if we have the shot. Tonyan is gone, and so is Marcedes. So, we really desperate for a good solid piece there.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I've just gotten used to seeing it. Any board or scouting reports that show EDGE (instead of OLB, DE, etc.) capitalize that now.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prosp...-6096034d69bd/
    https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...ll-anderson-jr

TBH, it would look kind of silly if it wasn't capitalized. I think it's done because all of the other positions are abbreviations and are capitalized.
    Got it. I guess I thought it was just OLB for "outside line backer," but apparently that's changed. Maybe for good reason, because as a couple of posters here have noted, the way GB plays Smith and Gary, they are more pass rushers who stand up rather than true linebackers.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    DE = EDGE
    3-4 OLB = EDGE
    4-3 OLB = LB

Glad to clear it up for you all

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Have a feeling we will take the ND TE if we have the shot. Tonyan is gone, and so is Marcedes. So, we really desperate for a good solid piece there.
    Can't ever say for sure who the Packers are going to take, it's going to be someone with above average measurables and tested athleticism for their size though. Think AJ Dillon, Dillion's size and tests numbers said he was an elite athlete, but the reality is that he is a decent football player that doesn't have the balance or aggressiveness to make him an actually elite football player. Gute doesn't trust his eyes and his scout's eyes when it comes to truly evaluating football players. Quay Walker - Super athletic, but can he actually read his keys and trust his instincts?

I think based on need the TE from ND would fit a need, not a huge fan of drafting a TE with the 16th pick, odds are he won't be any better or worse than a TE taken in the 3rd round. Same goes for running back, offensive line, and linebackers. I would even throw safety in there but teams are doing much more with the safety position than ever before so getting a safety that can do it all would be a game changer like Derwin James, or a hall of famer like LeRoy Butler.

Some would say, "Nutz, what about left tackle?"
    Valuable point, but you better be a damn good evaluator thinking you can spend a pick in the top half of the first round on a left tackle and hope he is going to pan out. If I ran a war room, I would always draft 2-3 offensive lineman every year after day 1 in the draft. Baktari was 4th round pick and started at LT as a rookie, Bryan Bulaga was 1st round pick and was nothing more than a solid RT in the league. There is no need to reach on offensive lineman, especially if you don't trust your eyes and what you see on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    DE = EDGE
    3-4 OLB = EDGE
    4-3 OLB = LB

Glad to clear it up for you all
    Most of us knew that, but it still doesn't clear up the point one poster made about WHICH edge they are referencing. The 2 are not often interchangeable. Gary could probably play either one, but its unlikely Micah parsons could.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

It's doubtful Mike Mayer will have the athleticism Gute looks for in a 1st round pick. Every 1st round pick with the exception of Jordan Love has had a RAS score of 9.5 or higher. And Love was pretty good at 8.46.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's doubtful Mike Mayer will have the athleticism Gute looks for in a 1st round pick. Every 1st round pick with the exception of Jordan Love has had a RAS score of 9.5 or higher. And Love was pretty good at 8.46.
    He's a good player but not what I'd call an elite athlete. Is he better than Hockenson was coming out? Not sure. I think he's been ND's leading receiver for two years?
    Mayer is an interesting player but taking a TE in R1 is too rich for me. I think it's a decent TE class and they can (and should) find one later in the draft.

If there's a decent pass rusher or a difference maker at safety I'd take them over Mayer. Amos is gone, Savage is concerning, Ford is a backup. Preston Smith is old and Gary won't be back until October. They need help at TE but I wouldn't overprioritize it. BPA