Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 NFL Draft Thread

I'm a pretty big fan of Hooker. Reminds me of Jordan Love a little bit. He has all of the talent in the world. Good size, accuracy, arm strength, release, and footwork. Probably slightly more mobile than Love. Good kid, great leader. Very productive. Threw for 58 TDs and 5 interceptions in two years in the SEC--while missing 3 games. Ran for another 1000 yards and 10 TDs. I've been on him as a 2nd round pick for awhile, and I don't think it's crazy for a good team at the end of round 1 to take a chance on him. I know the Tennessee offense is funky, so there's a projection that is involved, but just because he hasn't doesn't mean he can't. The age and ACL do concern me, but a team could get 8-10 good years out of an older QB nowadays. Without the age and injury, he's probably QB3 for me in this draft. I think he might have the most physical skills in this draft. I'm not just talking athleticism. That would be Richardson. I'm talking size, mobility, accuracy, and arm strength.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Harv,
    You do as much or more work on the draft as anyone in Packerrats, so I tend to take your word. I'm hoping the Packers will, too. I think you have a pretty good track record. Certainly better than mine. Forgot what you thought about the safeties, though. Seems like a super weak class to me. I can't understand why anyone thinks that Alabama guy is much good - Branch? - though he tends to get rated first.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...oker-for-visit

Well I guess I better shut up lol
    They're probably bringing him in to check on his knee, as well as his mental makeup. That Briles-style offense doesn't really translate to the pros, but it's possible he can transcend it and be a good player.
    I'd look at him R3 but not earlier, they pretty much throw picks from that round away anyway.

Might have to go back and watch him more closely, I recall him making some good throws but also some ugly ones too. I could see him being a QB4. I paid more attention to Hyatt and Tillman, some people like Tillman but I didn't see a lot there. Hyatt is a burner, he gives me DeSean Jackson vibes and could be a lot of fun but I don't know if GB and MLF would want him or use him properly. 15 is too rich for me but if he's there at 45 I'd think about it. Hyatt + Watson would be scary for some secondaries.

Richardson is an interesting one. He scares the hell out of me because some people have him as a top 5 prospect. His accuracy and fundamentals are high school level, but if you gave him some time to learn and gave him some good coaching by Year 3 he could be Lamar Jackson or prime Cam Newton. Super high ceiling, super low floor. If you're picking at end of R1 and you can sit him I'd think about it, but there's no way I'd take him if I'm the Texans (for example) and throw him to the wolves. For example: with all the murmurs about Dak in Dallas, maybe Jerrah picks this kid and lets him sit for a year or two and replaces Dak after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Harv,
    You do as much or more work on the draft as anyone in Packerrats, so I tend to take your word. I'm hoping the Packers will, too. I think you have a pretty good track record. Certainly better than mine. Forgot what you thought about the safeties, though. Seems like a super weak class to me. I can't understand why anyone thinks that Alabama guy is much good - Branch? - though he tends to get rated first.
    Branch played the 'Star' position at Bama, which is basically like playing a slot corner/3rd safety. He subbed in and out a lot and wasn't really even a starting safety. Jordan Battle and another guy I forget were the safeties.
    Branch is a smart instinctive player and a meh testing athlete. I think he's good but he's not what GB needs and i'd pass on him at 15.

I like Jordan Battle better actually. I think he can do what Barry would want his safeties to do. They have Nixon and Savage who can play in the slot, they don't really need another slot guy, especially since they have to figure out the Rasul/Stokes problem too.
    They need safeties, and they don't really have an even average-to-above average full time safety on the roster right now. Worse is they have no cap space, and on top of that this safety class isn't the best. Lots of them tested poorly at the combine... there were several Edge defenders who ran better than most of the safeties. I think they need help but wouldn't be shocked if they just try to coach up the players they have and try to make do. Better off spending draft capital on good players vs. available ones.

There is the possibility they could draft a CB who tested well and play them at safety, but I'm not sure who that would be (Jay Ward?) and most corners aren't known for being physical enough to play safety.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    More players to add to "my guys" list. I watched 2-4 games of all of the offensive players. I've watched about half of the DL and half of the EDGE players. I'm really hoping I can get through all of the defensive players.

QB Clayton Tune
    TE Luke Schoonmaker
    OL Peter Skoronski
    OL Nick Saldiveri
    OG Jon Gaines
    DT Mazi Smith
    DT Keeanu Benton

Previous:

RB Roschon Johnson
    WR Jonathan Mingo
    WR Grant DuBose
    IOL Ricky Stromberg
    LB Jack Campbell
    CB D.J. Turner
    S Jason Taylor

Also, here are some midround guys that I think are fits for what we do:

FB/RB/TE Hunter Luepke of North Dakota State is made for the MLF offense--possibly a better Deguara. He tested really well at his Pro Day (with a RAS of 9.7+).
    WR Matt Landers
    WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton
    OT Earl Bostick
    OG Braeden Daniels
    Saldiveri met virtually with the Packers.

https://twitter.com/JustinM_NFL/stat...33896502722561
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Don't know much about Saldiveri, seems like he'd likely slide inside to G or be a swing G/T on the right side. 9.1 (incomplete) RAS, so he's athletic. Is described as being a good fit in a zone scheme.
    I bet they want to see him run a 3-cone and put him thru some drills. Early Day 3 pick?

I haven't really watched many OL yet but feel like I should. They always take a couple, but this year with so many OL guys already under contract I wonder if that continues. I suppose the offseason workouts starting Apr 17 will inform their decisions - if Sean Rhyan looks better, etc. Feels like they have a lot of players, but I'm not sure how many good (playable) players they have.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Don't know much about Saldiveri, seems like he'd likely slide inside to G or be a swing G/T on the right side. 9.1 (incomplete) RAS, so he's athletic. Is described as being a good fit in a zone scheme.
    I bet they want to see him run a 3-cone and put him thru some drills. Early Day 3 pick?

I haven't really watched many OL yet but feel like I should. They always take a couple, but this year with so many OL guys already under contract I wonder if that continues. I suppose the offseason workouts starting Apr 17 will inform their decisions - if Sean Rhyan looks better, etc. Feels like they have a lot of players, but I'm not sure how many good (playable) players they have.
    He's a guy I watched before the combine. I really liked him, but I didn't think he was real athletic. I was pleasantly surprised he tested so well. I think he can play RT, OG--and apparently teams think he can play OC too. I tend to overrate measurables, but he and John Michael Schmitz are two guys that I just really liked from their tape. Schmitz was average in testing, but I still have him as my top IOL. I have Saldiveri in my top 10 at OL. I'd probably take him over Blake Freeland--who tested uber athletic.

WR depth is too thin. They really need more quality behind Doubs and Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    WR depth is too thin. They really need more quality behind Doubs and Watson.
    I think you'll see a FA signing or two after the draft. And a WR could be part of the Rodgers trade. And they'll draft at least one.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He's a guy I watched before the combine. I really liked him, but I didn't think he was real athletic. I was pleasantly surprised he tested so well. I think he can play RT, OG--and apparently teams think he can play OC too. I tend to overrate measurables, but he and John Michael Schmitz are two guys that I just really liked from their tape. Schmitz was average in testing, but I still have him as my top IOL. I have Saldiveri in my top 10 at OL. I'd probably take him over Blake Freeland--who tested uber athletic.
    Draft Network recently interviewed Saldiveri. https://thedraftnetwork.com/nick-sal...023-interview/

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think you'll see a FA signing or two after the draft. And a WR could be part of the Rodgers trade. And they'll draft at least one.
    Agreed that the draft is not the only way they plug that hole, but it's a pretty big need.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Is Jaxon Smith-Njigba Great Jennings?

Looks silky smooth.

https://twitter.com/TheOGfantasy/sta...91098608771073
    Yes. I love the guy. Ran 4.48 40 at pro day which is a little slower than Jennings. His agility scores are elite though. Great route runner. Not sure he'll be there at 15 though.

Blog Entries
    Yes. I love the guy. Ran 4.48 40 at pro day which is a little slower than Jennings. His agility scores are elite though. Great route runner. Not sure he'll be there at 15 though.

GUTEBAG NEEDS TO WORK a 15 to 13 SWAP into the KAREN DEAL

I have a horrible feelling he will be there AND the TCU stud will be there and Gooters will pass on them both

I've been pounding the table for a R1 WR for about 15 years or more now; always disappointed....lol
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    There isn't a lot in this draft that I would be willing to chase. TCU's Quentin Johnson seems to be the only first round talent with any size whatsoever. I don't trust TCU wide receivers like I didn't trust any player from Clemson in the 1990s and early 2000s. Packers don't have a very dense roster, I could see them work the draft to gain extra picks in the 3rd and 4th round. Hopefully they can get at least one of the Jets second round picks for Rodgers. Packers need two TEs, at least two receivers, probably a replacement Tackle in the coming years, an edge, at least one safety that can come in and compete for a starting position. These are the most glaring need, along with finding a reasonable backup for Love.

Wouldn't mind Packers trade down from 15 to mid-20's and pick up a 2nd round pick. 4 picks in first 2 rounds would be nice.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The more picks you can have in the top 100 the better chance you have to hit on a quality. The first rounders are always nice, but if I was a GM I would look to acquire as many top 100 picks as I could. Obviously you would want at least one of those some where in the first round.

They brought Dontayvion Wicks in for a visit. I like the guy and they say he is tough and would be a good special teams contributor early on.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They've redone Bahktiari's contract for this upcoming season, I think they want to make sure Love's blindside is covered. After that, who knows. Wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a OT to be 69's successor.
    Gute likes his athletes, so I wouldn't be shocked if they go for a high upside guy at TE. Most of the TEs inside the consensus board's top 100 did very well at the combine. Unlike Jace Sternberger, they all have pretty good RAS scores.
    I expect them to bring in two TEs. If I had to randomly guess I'd go with Darnell Washington and Davis Allen.
    Apparently the Packers are bringing in a Tenessee OT, Darnell Wright, for one of their pre-draft visits. I don't know much about these guys, but apparently he fits the Packers' bill: he's got a really good RAS and in specific areas the Packers seem to like, and he played both RT and LT for Tennessee. They're projecting he's either early second or first round, moving up the boards.

Not sure how he compares to some of the other O-linemen being discussed here.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Apparently the Packers are bringing in a Tenessee OT, Darnell Wright, for one of their pre-draft visits. I don't know much about these guys, but apparently he fits the Packers' bill: he's got a really good RAS and in specific areas the Packers seem to like, and he played both RT and LT for Tennessee. They're projecting he's either early second or first round, moving up the boards.

Not sure how he compares to some of the other O-linemen being discussed here.
    He's generally regarded as the #4 OT in this draft. Most projections have him available when the Packers pick in the 1st round. Bigger than most at 335 pounds. Might be more of a RT than LT.

Wouldn't mind Packers trade down from 15 to mid-20's and pick up a 2nd round pick. 4 picks in first 2 rounds would be nice.
    Dude I totally agree with this. I would love to somehow get like 4 second rounders, no first or third.