Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Most, of these guys have been told from a very young age that they were special. So they got special treatment as a result of their athletic prowess: passed through their classes in high school and college without having to do much if any work. Slide past trouble other people would get busted for because the school needed them in the big game. Girls provided. Drugs. Everybody wants to be their friend, most everybody wants to lick their asses. You give this kind of life to any human being, and that person is bound to be changed by the experience. Mostly not for the good. Mostly those people start believing they ARE different, they ARE special, because that's what they've been told their whole life. So it's all understandable. Sad, but understandable.
Okay, I'm dumb here for jumping in, but I don't think Lorenzo meets the Golden Boy archetype. According to the Legend of Favre that we were sold during his Packer days, Brett was the QB for his dad's run-heavy wishbone offense. He got one of the last spots in Southern Miss's roster as a favor for his dad. USM's quarterbacks went down like Spinal Tap drummers, and Brett went from #6 to starter. He drank himself into a car accident in college, almost drank himself out of the league in Atlanta, got a career-saving trade to Atlanta, and then almost drank himself out in Green Bay.
If addiction is a coping mechanism, then Brett's been running from himself most of his playing career.

I think to be a successful not-predicted MVP QB in the NFL, there has to be something wrong, maybe toxic, with you to work that hard and take as many chances. Brett and Aaron both are carrying something that pushed them to exceed their expected spots in the NCAA. And both of them wouldn't be their selves without a furnace full of chips.

(Now, modern-day Brett is deffo an entitled stingy prick. But we all have our problems to deal with or suffer from.)