Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
People get old and different life stages. Let's see how Giannis is at 35+. My guess is he won't be buddy buddy with the 18 year olds anymore.

I think Wilde is basically right that ARod would still be here if they resigned Adams. They screwed the pooch on that one.

Money aside - you don't let special players out the door - period. Adam is a much bigger mistake than say Peppers, Woodson, Nelson, etc because he was ~30 years old or something and an all-pro. The other dudes were quite old - although I probably would have kept both Peppers and Woodson another year or two and moved on from Nelson.

Good discussion here.
Rodgers was showing signs he wanted out before Adams left. Also, you don't have to be buddy buddy with everyone to be a good teammate.

You don't get trade value for crappy players. You face a choice of getting value now but being worse short term or risking having an aging player on a bloated contract and less young talent.

You can make a mistake by trading a player too soon, but you can also be worse off by keeping a player too long, even a special player.

I tend to agree it's better to restock when you can get value than to wait too long.