Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
I think it's about the known production and experience. Driver was in year 10 in 2008 and already had 5 1000 yard seasons. Jennings was entering his 3rd year and had 900+ yards the year before. James Jones was entering his second season with production that approximated Doubs rookie season. Watson has a higher ceiling than Driver, Jennings and Jones but he hasn't done it yet. He could (knock on wood he doesn't) bust, he could get hurt, or just never reach anywhere that ceiling. (Personally I think he has a bright future and threatens 1000 yards this season.)

To say the current WR group, in this current season is better than what Rodgers had is just barking mad. In three years it might be a very different story however.

Re: Rodgers effect - LOL. An elite QB can lift a team but it's more nuanced than you make it out to be. The counterargument to your Rodgers effect is the fact that he had talent last year and yet we've seen lack of experience used as an excuse for his and the team's performance. So Rodgers was so good he could make Driver/Jennings/Jones look great, but not Watson/Doubs/Lazard last season? Before you say it - Favre played with broken thumbs and bad ankles in multiple seasons. Maybe that Rodgers effect has an expiration date around age 38 LOL
Is it just next year we are talking about? Or the next 3 or 5 or 10 or 15? - as long as Love is QB1.

Driver has always been one of my favorites. I was praising him when he was basically a nothing WR. After ten years, though, he was fading a little bit, I think. I never had the high opinion others have about Jenning or J. Jones - good, of course, but not as special as many think. And Jordy, as I recall, took a few years to get great.

Rodgers Effect? Last year, maybe you noticed, was an exception to his great career. And even then, he (and in fairness, Love too) showcased Watson as a future superstar. Doubs too arguably benefited from playing with the GOAT. And of course, both were also injured large chunks of the season, which was a factor. You mentioned Lazard. He signed for likely more money than he could have ever dreamed of largely due to playing with Rodgers. And yeah, Favre did what literally nobody, even Rodgers could have done in terms of playing hurt - although the last Packer game I attended in person, 12 came back from what looked like an impossible injury to engineer a comeback for the ages against some sucky team that he owns.

My point is that Love has everything going for him to be star quality too in terms of receivers. Does he have the ability? Time will tell. I wouldn't bet against him, but I wouldn't bet on him either.

And Bretsky, so you meant #2 CB, not #2 QB? hahahahahahaha if you say so. In either case, I'd argue we're good. Stokes, like Watson, was one of those first rounders they took who was exactly what I wanted them to take. I'd disagree with you that if Love got hurt, we'd be screwed. We might be screwed either way hahahaha, but considering the loadedness of the team's overall talent, I wouldn't bet against Clifford handling the QB job as good as Love, probability-wise.