Thread: DEAR GUTEBAG----------------BRING JONATHON TAYLOR HOME

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It just seems weird to me, to acquire a high wear-and-tear guy who's just had surgery and wants a big, big contract. I think it's a bad idea and don't understand it at all.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    It just seems weird to me, to acquire a high wear-and-tear guy who's just had surgery and wants a big, big contract. I think it's a bad idea and don't understand it at all.
    It wouldn't make a ton of sense. Word is it was two guys in the personnel departments talking & never actually got up to the GM level.
    Taylor is 24, so he's 5 years younger than Aaron Jones, but I'd rather roll into the season with Jones/Dillon and look at drafting a RB next year to replace Dillon (who I like but has been a bit underwhelming as a R2 pick) and eventually Jones. Gute is right when he says AJones is the heart and soul of the team. Taylor will want a new contract and GB is trying to get out of cap issues now and reload for 2024-25 seasons. A fat contract for Taylor on their books isn't the smartest move. I'd rather keep that money to get other FAs or save to extend our WRs when the time comes.

Also, trading for the right to sign/extend a player to an expensive contract is rarely a good idea, because you give up draft capital AND cap space.

Taylor will get moved closer to the trade deadline. He's on the PUP list and will miss the first 4 weeks of the season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    It wouldn't make a ton of sense. Word is it was two guys in the personnel departments talking & never actually got up to the GM level.
    Taylor is 24, so he's 5 years younger than Aaron Jones, but I'd rather roll into the season with Jones/Dillon and look at drafting a RB next year to replace Dillon (who I like but has been a bit underwhelming as a R2 pick) and eventually Jones. Gute is right when he says AJones is the heart and soul of the team. Taylor will want a new contract and GB is trying to get out of cap issues now and reload for 2024-25 seasons. A fat contract for Taylor on their books isn't the smartest move. I'd rather keep that money to get other FAs or save to extend our WRs when the time comes.

Also, trading for the right to sign/extend a player to an expensive contract is rarely a good idea, because you give up draft capital AND cap space.

Taylor will get moved closer to the trade deadline. He's on the PUP list and will miss the first 4 weeks of the season anyway.
    From what I could discern from what Guter said, it was a low-level inquiry, and he suggested maybe GB was being used to drive the price up. So no big deal, after all. Just something to keep us reading. I did like that he said Dillon was going to be part of the plan this year no matter what - that is, they weren't going to part with Dillon. Not that it likely ever got that far.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack