Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
Cap room is zero concern. After this year everything takes care of itself.
They don't have a lot of dead cap already sitting there for next year, that's true. Spotrac has them with about $20M of cap space in 2024, which isn't a lot but their situation is much better. Bakhtiari has a 40M cap hit, Aaron Jones is 17.7M and Preston Smith is 16.5M so you could get cap relief by cutting them outright or doing something else with those contracts. (To be clear, I'm not in favor of that.) Gary will be extended and if Jordan Love has a good year they might want to start working on a long-term contract for him as well. I don't think they will be big players in FA next year unless they do something with some of those big legacy contracts (Bakhtiari, Clark, Jaire, Jones, Smith, Devondre, Rasul) to get room. That's several months out and a lot can happen before next year's deadline so who knows...but at least they aren't staring at being OVER the cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2024/

I still don't think they would pull the trigger on a trade for Taylor. Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs will be UFAs if you want to overpay for a productive RB. AJ Dillon will be a UFA as well.
I could see them looking for a back along the lines of a Miles Sanders, who signed a 4 year, $25,400,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers. That's easier to manage on the books than $15M/year for a RB IMO. I like Taylor but he's not signing for Miles Sanders money, and GB should allocate their money elsewhere.

If a RB can get paid, I'm happy for them. They take a beating and get hurt a lot, so it doesn't make much sense to pay a lot for one IMO, especially if you can draft one in R3-7 that will do the job well enough. Shanahan offenses arguably are responsible for the shift to not paying RBs or drafting them high. They have done very well with castoffs, UDFAs, and late round picks (Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, CJ Anderson, Philip Lindsay, Raheem Mostert, Elijah Mitchell, etc.).