Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I agree there will be suitors trying to get up to top 2 or 3 to pick a QB, and it's likely to cost more than what CAR paid for Young. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are both considered better prospects than Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.
    The other thing I've heard kicked around is, with the draft coming to GB in 2025, there's almost no way they want to trade away a future R1 pick in 2025 to try and move up. I could see Murphy discouraging a trade, but it could happen I suppose. If they fall to #4 in draft order they might try to leapfrog a team, but that's going to cost picks that Gute covets.

I think that unless the wheels absolutely fall off, they want to give Love more time with this young offense, and MLF a shot at coaching them. If they still stink next year they will clean house and have a high draft pick to lure fans to GB for the draft. At a minimum, I think they will look at who's around at QB in R2 to push Love as a developmental guy, although I'm not a fan of the QB's Gute seems to like (Jordan Love, Drew Lock, Deshone Kizer).

As far as the signaling it's a tank, I don't know if I'd go that far. I think it was better to be a seller than a buyer. They are probably looking at going 1-2 at best over the next three games before they face DET and KC. They also face NYG, CAR, and CHI so there are winnable games left. I think it's less about tanking and more about being realistic about where they are and what the prospects for the season are. Rasul's a good player but I doubt he's moving the needle THAT much.
    An old adage that no longer holds true is that you get more value by trading a pick on draft day and a player any other time. Although Sweat cost a lot of money and didn't make sense for the bears, landing him for a 2nd is a steal. Landing Young for a 3rd was a steal. Getting Douglas to move down was a steal.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Bears now have the 1st and 5th picks of the draft. Before a lot of people had the Bears drafting a QB (Williams or Maye) and Marvin Harrison. As things stand right now, they might not be able to get both.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Marvelous Marvin will be the 1st Non QB drafted. He's going top 4, probably top 3
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Bears now have the 1st and 5th picks of the draft. Before a lot of people had the Bears drafting a QB (Williams or Maye) and Marvin Harrison. As things stand right now, they might not be able to get both.
    They could get Harrison and one of the 2 LTs. That might solidify their O pretty quickly.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    They could get Harrison and one of the 2 LTs. That might solidify their O pretty quickly.
    They could. So much depends on what GM Ryan Poles thinks of Fields. Poles was not the GM when Fields was drafted. Tankathon right now has the Bears taking Caleb Williams and Fashanu. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Packers back to #6 pick for now.

Blog Entries
    Packers back to #6 pick for now.
    It's really fun to talk about but I don't see the Packers getting to top 3

Number 3 would be GREAT though !!!!

Gutebag can piss me off forever by not taking Marvelous Marvin and instead GB can trade down with a team throwing lots of draft ammo to move up and draft the best player in college football.

To 3 we go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

With the progress the offense is starting to make, I'll be very surprised if they're in the top 5.

Blog Entries
    With the progress the offense is starting to make, I'll be very surprised if they're in the top 5.
    I would too; I think odds are we end up around 10 to 12 area

I am still thinking we end up with 7 wins. We do play some Sally's

I have doubts about "Marvelous Marvin" being as special as some seem to think.

As for the draft, I'm grudgingly coming around to the point of view of those wanting an O Lineman or two. If they do that, though, they better be damn careful/smart about it, as the chance of busts in that position are huge.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Packers projected to have the 3rd most draft capital. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

Days 1 & 2 Packers have picks 6, 40, 43, 71, 79.

Packers projected to have the 3rd most draft capital. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/power_rankings

but but but Rasul!

They should be able to shore up their OL and find a decent RB and S as well. Maybe even get a QB prospect to groom as Love's replacement. Wolf found Hasselbeck, Brooks and Brunell (and lots of QB duds).
    I wouldn't be shocked if Gute trades around a little like he did this past year when he turned his 2nd R2 pick (#45) for Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks and Karl Brooks.

Blog Entries

I think I'd be happy with #6

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    but but but Rasul!

They should be able to shore up their OL and find a decent RB and S as well. Maybe even get a QB prospect to groom as Love's replacement. Wolf found Hasselbeck, Brooks and Brunell (and lots of QB duds).
    I wouldn't be shocked if Gute trades around a little like he did this past year when he turned his 2nd R2 pick (#45) for Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks and Karl Brooks.
    If Harrison and the top 3 OT's are gone when the Packers pick, I'm kind of expecting Gute to try to trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I would too; I think odds are we end up around 10 to 12 area

I am still thinking we end up with 7 wins. We do play some Sally's
    Isn't that where we drafted after year one with Rodgers? And we used the Favre pick to move up and get Clay....and then we won an Owl right after? I love it when history repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Isn't that where we drafted after year one with Rodgers? And we used the Favre pick to move up and get Clay....and then we won an Owl right after? I love it when history repeats.
    Drafted Raji at 9. Then traded their 2nd and 3rd, plus the 3rd they got for Favre, to move up to draft Clay, plus I believe received a later pick.

Drafted Raji at 9. Then traded their 2nd and 3rd, plus the 3rd they got for Favre, to move up to draft Clay, plus I believe received a later pick.
    I don't remember what year it was that the Packers had I think the #5 or so overall . . . and picked AJ Hawk. Not the best pick, but I don't think it was a spectacular class after the first couple.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't remember what year it was that the Packers had I think the #5 or so overall . . . and picked AJ Hawk. Not the best pick, but I don't think it was a spectacular class after the first couple.
    Vernon Davis went near by and the one that would have probably worked out best was the big NT, Ngata I think who went 9 or 11 or something.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Whoever you pick, wherever you pick, someone in the next 10 picks is usually better. Rare is it that you get a guy, and you’re like, yeah, in hindsight, that’s the best we could have done.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Whoever you pick, wherever you pick, someone in the next 10 picks is usually better. Rare is it that you get a guy, and you’re like, yeah, in hindsight, that’s the best we could have done.
    Agreed. Sometimes its egregious like taking Myers right in front of Creed though. I get scheme and all, but one is clearly a superior football player in nearly every aspect. I also think the Gary pick wasn't the best pick because Burns and Sweat went much later and are having similar/better careers. They play the same position and as I advocated at the time, trading back for capital and taking one of them would have paid off sooner. Gary finally broke out and its time to pay him. Those guys were effective on day 1.

And this year, drafting Van Ness in front of the big OT, Jones was a mistake. Taking a position we were VERY deep and ignoring a position that clearly was going to need a new LT very soon.