Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Bit of an apples to oranges comparison. Walker is physically what you want for a T, he's that talented. Bakhtiari was an undersized guy with crazy determination and flawless technique. Bakh in his rookie year was better than Walker has been as a first year starter. Walker gets a little lazy with his technique and for a guy with his talents should be a better run blocker. He might improve (I have concerns about the OL coaching) and if he does they have a very cheap contract for a starting NFL LT. I would not be shocked if they draft a OT early, mostly because I think they want more competition and they aren't likely to have Njiman and Bakhtiari on the roster, which impacts their depth and quality.

Runyan has almost guaranteed himself a ticket out of town with how he's played the last two seasons, which is unfortunate. He started out really good (Newman wasn't bad as a rookie; this regression being the reason I worry about the OL coaching) and has regressed. Maybe he has an injury or RG is the wrong position for him, but there are times he looks fine and others where he looks like he doesn't know how to play football at all. Myers too, but I think they let that contract ride out another year and expire.

The tl;dr is do not be shocked if invest heavily in OL via draft/FA. They have talent on the roster but it could be a LOT better.

Consider this: why were they able to run the ball last year but not this year. (Before you say it's Aaron Jones injuries, recall that Aaron Jones is having a very down year statistically.) They can still pass block ok but this OL has gone from very good to very mediocre, primarily in run game.
    +1. Summed up nicely.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Bakhtiari was a 70 pff grade pass blocker his rookie year
    85 pff grade pass blocker his second year.

I don’t know Rasheed Walkers pass blocking grade because it costs, but I know it’s 25th among 70 eligible tackles before the lions game. So somewhere around Bakhs 70. His overall is 64. And I know his pass blocking is better, so 70 is probably about where he lies.

There’s a chance he’s a top 20 type tackle and top 10 sort of left tackle. A good chance. I don’t know that we can’t be alright with him as the long term LT. I’m not sold that LT is the need everyone things now or thought 10 years ago when everyone seemed to doubt Bakh.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

And for as much as people hate on Josh Meyer. I get it. He loses inside sometimes. But he’s not a turnstile, even at the things he’s worst at. And there are a few things he’s downright dominant at, things that open up some unique options on offense. When he gets moving, he breaks down and smokes moving blocks as well as anyone I’ve seen from that spot. They get him out moving on screens, moving protections and run plays. And I haven’t seen a lot of this in the league, but they have a sort of surprise protection they use where they swing him out to help on a dominant edge. He pulls out, swings over to Aiden Hutchinson’s side and then locks him down as an extra blocker. They did it a couple times and were really effective at it.

I’m not sold that he can’t improve a little on his worst traits and I’m definitely not sold that he doesn’t have some unique strengths.

Myers isn't a trashfire, his problem is that he is more inconsistent than you'd like. He's basically a replacement level starting C, which you can get away with in most games but a dominant DT would eat his lunch, and you're always going to want to replace the guy. It's like being sstuck with a meh ILB or journeyman S.

I don't hate Myers (or Runyan); I'd be happy if they turned it around and started playing well consistently. They are essentially JAGs, and too many of those on your OL will really hurt your offense (or young QB's development).

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Myers isn't a trashfire, his problem is that he is more inconsistent than you'd like. He's basically a replacement level starting C, which you can get away with in most games but a dominant DT would eat his lunch, and you're always going to want to replace the guy. It's like being sstuck with a meh ILB or journeyman S.

I don't hate Myers (or Runyan); I'd be happy if they turned it around and started playing well consistently. They are essentially JAGs, and too many of those on your OL will really hurt your offense (or young QB's development).
    Myers isn't a trashfire. But Runyan pretty much is, and the 2 of them playing next to each other is a real problem. Way too many DL running free in the A gap. Why Runyan has digressed so much in a contract year is a mystery. Hard to imagine he'll be back next year. Wish they'd start Sean Rhyan and be on with it.

Every snap by Sean Rhyan vs. Lions. https://twitter.com/JustusMcKing/sta...85831735775503
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Every snap by Sean Rhyan vs. Lions. https://twitter.com/JustusMcKing/sta...85831735775503[/QUOTE]

When you look at that, it’s almost unthinkable that they’re starting Runyan. The only thing I can think of, and this goes for Meyers too, is that the love having guys who can get out and move when asked. Other than that, just blocking the guy in front of them, Rhyan is by far the more effective player. He might even be dominant.

I always assumed the Samoan lookin' fella was a yokozuna and too slow. His numbers compare favorably to Bryan Bulaga Iowa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_...ssional_career
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_R...ssional_career

Meh. Myers is a tire fire about 3 times a game and not dominant ever. Walker needs to up his run blocking, but he has all the tools. As I said somewhere they need to just move Tom inside, where he belongs and start both of the tackles.

I like the Rhyan clip. He wasn't bad. Only one bad snap I saw and it didn't affect the play....and he corrected in similar situation next time around.

I always thought of him as a tackle, but he might not have the feet for it. He is damn big for a guard, but hey, misfits happen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I like the Rhyan clip. He wasn't bad. Only one bad snap I saw and it didn't affect the play....and he corrected in similar situation next time around.

I always thought of him as a tackle, but he might not have the feet for it. He is damn big for a guard, but hey, misfits happen all the time.
    He played LT at UCLA. But I think I remember Harvey here saying his footwork in pass pro wasn't going to work in the NFL. He's definitely better off at G.

Meh. Myers is a tire fire about 3 times a game and not dominant ever. Walker needs to up his run blocking, but he has all the tools. As I said somewhere they need to just move Tom inside, where he belongs and start both of the tackles.
    Me and Stenavich disagree.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The average height and weight of an NFL guard is 6’4.5” and 315lbs
    Sean Rhyan is 6’4.5” and 322lbs

Wouldn’t he me more of a prototype?

I'd like to see them move Tom to center next year, start Rhyan, and draft a couple of offensive tackles. Then you've got two rookies battling with Walker next year, who, if he can learn to run block, might have a chance. Then you draft a center/guard late, too, and give them next year to figure it out.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

A good tackle is hard to find. Bulaga thinks Tom is legit. I don’t like the idea of moving a more rare piece into a position that’s easier to fill and then trying to fill the tougher position with high draft picks.

That’s the same reason I hope Walker keeps progressing. It would be such a luxury to have two young, legit tackles.

I know we’re sick of drafting defense high, but I think it’s ideal if we could somehow hit on a true stud DT. The defenses with dominant DL are so hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Me and Stenavich disagree.
    You keep great company as I think Adam is about the worst, dumbest human I have listened to in interviews in recent history. I'll trust my eyes over the coach who is invested in NOT admitting everyone is getting worse under his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    The average height and weight of an NFL guard is 6’4.5” and 315lbs
    Sean Rhyan is 6’4.5” and 322lbs

Wouldn’t he me more of a prototype?
    If he is only 7lbs over average he wears it very strange. He looks closer to 350 to me. He is immensely wide. I didn't like him as a pick because I saw him as someone who didn't fit either profile, and his tape wasn't as good as Tom's was. Next time he is standing next to Tom (who is simlar size to his combine size 6'4" 305lbs tell me there is only 17 pounds difference. If its true, one is a rock, the other is a marshmallow.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    A good tackle is hard to find. Bulaga thinks Tom is legit. I don’t like the idea of moving a more rare piece into a position that’s easier to fill and then trying to fill the tougher position with high draft picks.

That’s the same reason I hope Walker keeps progressing. It would be such a luxury to have two young, legit tackles.

I know we’re sick of drafting defense high, but I think it’s ideal if we could somehow hit on a true stud DT. The defenses with dominant DL are so hard to beat.
    Tom is very solid at RT, but he could be like Jenkins at G and I have no idea at C, but that was what the brass projected him as. I agree, guys that can play T usually end up there. Truth be told the OL has played much better and Dillon just has shit vision. Like last year they have improved in all areas the last 4-5 weeks. Walker has been really smooth in pass pro. I bag on him, but he probably works a lot more on pass pro than run blocking. I really do think Stenovich is a horrible coach. Myers, Runyan and Newman have all regressed. I'm not positive Walker has improved as much as gotten healthy after that bad shoulder his senior year of college. Nijman has flattened, and some of that is focus, but a coaches job isn't to insult a player with focus issues, its to find a way to get through to him to be locked in every snap. Hey ho, Steno needs to go (and take Barry with him).

Tankathon now has Packers picking 20th and taking Cooper DeJean - CB - Iowa. Packers love their Hawkeyes. https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Tom is very solid at RT, but he could be like Jenkins at G and I have no idea at C, but that was what the brass projected him as. I agree, guys that can play T usually end up there. Truth be told the OL has played much better and Dillon just has shit vision. Like last year they have improved in all areas the last 4-5 weeks. Walker has been really smooth in pass pro. I bag on him, but he probably works a lot more on pass pro than run blocking. I really do think Stenovich is a horrible coach. Myers, Runyan and Newman have all regressed. I'm not positive Walker has improved as much as gotten healthy after that bad shoulder his senior year of college. Nijman has flattened, and some of that is focus, but a coaches job isn't to insult a player with focus issues, its to find a way to get through to him to be locked in every snap. Hey ho, Steno needs to go (and take Barry with him).
    He has been so good that I don't think he'd want to move to G or C because someone will pay him T money. That dude looks like he's gonna be a good player there for years to come. It does seem like he'd benefit to get a little bigger. He looks small to me. Almost too fit for a yokozuna.