Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    He took a job at Colorado already
    There were rumors about that, but I'm not sure it's happened. The official website for Colorado football does not list him as a coach.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 01-23-2024 at 09:11 AM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    He took a job at Colorado already
    I
    Don’t think this is true
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'm just amazed that, year after year after year, when we get to the part about discussing Packer needs, it's always defense, defense, defense.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm just amazed that, year after year after year, when we get to the part about discussing Packer needs, it's always defense, defense, defense.
    Exactly, I just ran a mock draft on FanSpeak. The majority of my early picks were on defense. Year after year after year, we keep infusing a lot more of our draft capital and free agent signings on that side of the ball and nothing seems to improve.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

What? That's really weird. I am seeing the same thing. I swear I read the Jimmy stuff was confirmed. What happened??

What? That's really weird. I am seeing the same thing. I swear I read the Jimmy stuff was confirmed. What happened??
    Don't know how it started. There was this on twitter:

Cameron Lee
    @InsiderNoc4527

Sources: Former Wisconsin DC and interim HC Jim Leonhard is close to joining
    @DeionSanders
    to become their new DC at Colorado. No done deal yet, but it is very close. Leonhard has declined NFL DC jobs, and the USC DC job among others…
    It doesn't seem any of the major sports sites reported it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Exactly, I just ran a mock draft on FanSpeak. The majority of my early picks were on defense. Year after year after year, we keep infusing a lot more of our draft capital and free agent signings on that side of the ball and nothing seems to improve.
    Maddening, isn't it?

I'm mulling the idea that (with a few exceptions) it makes more sense to focus premium draft capital on offense. The rules of the game have tilted considerably in favor of scoring points, maybe it makes sense to lean into that when drafting.

Fanspeak:

25: R1 P25 OT Troy Fautanu - Washington
    41: R2 P9 S Javon Bullard - Georgia
    57: R2 P25 LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - Clemson
    88: R3 P24 RB Blake Corum - Michigan
    91: R3 P27 G Zak Zinter - Michigan
    125: R4 P25 S Cole Bishop - Utah

Position-wise, that all makes sense to me.

But I would not draft Blake Corum. Great college running back, but he's been rode hard and put away wet. Lots and lot and lots of mileage on his body already. And really, I don't think he's special. I don't.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

But I would not draft Blake Corum. Great college running back, but he's been rode hard and put away wet. Lots and lot and lots of mileage on his body already. And really, I don't think he's special. I don't.
    The draft I did was almost purely BPA according to big board being used. Lot of debate about Corum. Combine will be important for him. What can't be denied is that he has a nose for the end zone. Aaron Jones was far from the biggest or fastest RB in the 2017 draft. Vison is hugely important and not always easy to evaluate.

T’Vondre Sweat is kind of intriguing. He’s a massive “Vita Vea” type. He has longer arms and a truly massive frame. He carries that 350 easy.

Kenny Clark probably has two more years of being an elite run defender who can also press the pocket. Sweat also pushes the pocket. But on first down, no one would have the run stopping power in the middle that we’d have with that guy next to Clark. Joe Barry goes from looking like a dumb fuck who doesn’t know how to coordinate a run defense to being a genius who coordinates the NFLs best run defense real quick.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Kenny Clark 69 PFF grade
    Karl Brooks 66 grade
    TJ Slaton 65 grade
    Davonte Wyatt 63 grade
    Colby Wooden 58 grade but an elite athlete so maybe he develops

We’re pretty deep on effective interior players, but I wouldn’t mind having the deepest rotation in the NFL for a year.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Kenny Clark 69 PFF grade
    Karl Brooks 66 grade
    TJ Slaton 65 grade
    Davonte Wyatt 63 grade
    Colby Wooden 58 grade but an elite athlete so maybe he develops

We’re pretty deep on effective interior players, but I wouldn’t mind having the deepest rotation in the NFL for a year.
    60 denotes average on PFF’s grading scale. Looks like the Pack have a bunch of average D-Yokozunas.

And I dunno what universe you’re in, but in this universe, Cletidus Clark ain’t no elite run stopper. Teams had little problems running up and down the guts where Clark roamed. Dean Lowry can do what Clark does. Would you pay Lowry $18M/yr?
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I like Corum, I think he's a fun back to watch. I agree with you though - he has 700 carries and an ACL injury during his time at UM. I also think he's shorter than he's listed, which could be a little problematic from a pass pro standpoint and with the catch radius trying to grab an off target Jordan Love throw. He's a heck of an athlete and a decent RB for sure, but there are other RBs that on first watch I like better and can likely be drafted later.

I wouldn't be mad if they drafted him, you absolutely have to have him in a RBBC situation.
    As for GB's next RBs, I would guess they will draft 2 and let Dillon go. I would also bet at least one is in the Aaron Jones mold, and the other a bigger back -- but not Dillon sized. A 240 lb RB is fun to watch but generally not ideal in a scheme and with an OL that requires more vision and agility than power.

100% with joe about vision - any RBs they take should have good vision, balance, and a lightning quick burst. Of GBs backs, only Jones possesses those.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    60 denotes average on PFF’s grading scale. Looks like the Pack have a bunch of average D-Yokozunas.

And I dunno what universe you’re in, but in this universe, Cletidus Clark ain’t no elite run stopper. Teams had little problems running up and down the guts where Clark roamed. Dean Lowry can do what Clark does. Would you pay Lowry $18M/yr?
    APB, I agree with you on a lot of things - in this side of the forum anyway, but it seems like you have a blind spot about Kenny Clark. He has done a damn good job, and the attention he gets enables others to be better. Hell no, Lowery can't and never did do what Clark does. He got pushed around like a rag doll. All five of those D Linemen RG mentioned are head and shoulders better than Lowery. Lately, having Slaton in the middle on run downs and Clark penetrating more seems to be working better than treating Clark like a big immobile yokozuma in the middle. The way things went in the '22 season when Clark was out says something about him.

I don't like Blake Corum. If he and Braelon Allen are both available, they damn well better not take Corum. We should take a good RB about 3rd or 4th round, maybe even one of our 2nds, but hopefully not Corum.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    T’Vondre Sweat is kind of intriguing. He’s a massive “Vita Vea” type. He has longer arms and a truly massive frame. He carries that 350 easy.

Kenny Clark probably has two more years of being an elite run defender who can also press the pocket. Sweat also pushes the pocket. But on first down, no one would have the run stopping power in the middle that we’d have with that guy next to Clark. Joe Barry goes from looking like a dumb fuck who doesn’t know how to coordinate a run defense to being a genius who coordinates the NFLs best run defense real quick.
    I've thought so, too. I've actually picked him in a couple of the mocks I've done. Looks like he'll be a mid 2nd rounder.

Wyatt can rush the passer, not great vs. the run.
    Slaton can play the run, not great vs. the pass.

If you could combine the two, you'd really have something lol.

Slaton goes 330 and is super athletic for his size. It was his first year as a starter, I think there's still a little room left to develop.

Sweat is a massive dude but seemed unrefined, he'd take some time like Slaton. Guys his size who can play are fun to watch.
    If you draft him, do you carry 6 DL on your roster? You aren't cutting Colby Wooden as a R4 pick after one year.

I don't mind Sweat but (not to be a wet blanket) unless there's someone they absolutely love who falls or move on from Kenny they probably aren't going after a DL. In terms of contracts, they are stacked at DL like they are at WR.

I went through the background of the packers scouting staff and looked at backgrounds. Each 1 means a guy had that background as a coach or player

Pro scout
    OL 1
    LB 1

College scout
    OL 1
    LB
    WR 111
    TE 1
    DL 1
    DB 1

Executive personnel
    OL 111
    LB 1
    DB 111
    DL 1

In order, the backgrounds of our scouts are:

OL 5
    Defensive back 4
    WR 3
    LB 2
    TE 1

I don’t know if it means much, but I was curious.

Blog Entries

I really like Corum; but now I'm torn.

With your history of evaluating Michigan players, maybe we need to join forces again )))
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?