Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
A total surprise.

Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Hafley has considerable NFL experience assistant DBs coach in 2012 and secondary/safeties coach in 2013 with Tampa Bay. Worked under Mike Pettine in Cleveland in '14. Coached DBs in San Francisco from 2016-'18. Was co-DC for Ohio State in '19 and has been BC head coach since 2020
Ladies and gents, fellow humans of the expression of our gratitude for the shared love of this Franchise, which allows us to intimately behave as fans of grown men scheming other grown men who run around in tight uniforms do..

I like the hire. After watching and reading and researching and spending time understanding this man's character, he's the exact hire we need. This is how you play defense in 2020s, and he seems to be a great fit. Barry lacked versatility and knowledge, which you can get away with when you have smart players and great guys in key positions of importance, but if you're putting them out of position I don't think you belong I the nfl as a coordinator in any capacity because you can't adjust to what you're seeing in the same way inept quarterbacks continue to display conduct detrimental to the growth of the team.

The resume doesn't matter if you think you can coordinate 11 men to make plays in unison and have them give you the credit, credit is due in your ability in allowing them to get there by putting them in the best position to succeed in the circumstances given to them by following the trust you have in your instruction to succeed. Calling plays means nothing of you're defending the inevitable destruction of what you built and in essence allowing your confidence in who you are to be questioned by the opponent who either outscored you with coaching or with talent, and if you lose more than 3 battles a year due to coaching you either get better or you get fired.

Wink martindale was the only other option but I think he's a bit of a hard headed guy and that's traditional dc type character and he took us to the cleaners in new York but he doesn't have the upside of this guy. The game against tampa showed lafluer was really in control of the Barry defense and what type of schemes he wanted to play, which only confirms the game is offensive, meaning lafluer knows d enough to know you don't call certain plays in certain circumstances because the probabilities are all fucked and basically Barry was a yes man.

What I'm looking for from this guy is to have a clear command of the defense just like I would expect from an OC. Trust. Get your guys in the right spot so when you're reviewing film you're not explaining why this was a bad call against this offense in front of your defense. As a leader of a team you're allowed to fuck up provided the consistency of error isn't your fault and you have the ability to ask of your players what many respects they expect of you. In this case he's at fault. But also don't hire yes men because subservience an education of free thought and creativity isn't a building block.