Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anybody know anything about purchasing diamond rings...

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    That's beautiful man... You are a true romantic (a.k.a. pussy). :P

And cubic zirconium gets the job done just the same at a fraction of the cost.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Not when you consider the cost of the divorce when she finds out you lied.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    I really think the divorce rate would go down tremendously if people would just discuss things before acting, especially in regards to their children, and make sure they are a united front.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I really think the divorce rate would go down tremendously if people would just discuss things before acting, especially in regards to their children, and make sure they are a united front.
    Not to mention cheating on them. That usually pisses your spouse off.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

A diamond ring, or any ring for that matter, given specifically as an engagement ring must be returned to the 'giver' in the event of a split.
    A ring given at a time like Valentines' Day, Christmas, Birthday, is viewed as a gift and can be kept even if there is a split, even if there is talk of engagement at that time.
    Two of my daughters guy friends have lost in court in trying to get back engagement rings. One was presented at a birthday, the other for Christmas. Judge ruled for the girls both times, because they could technically be viewed as 'gifts'.

The manpons are in isle 6, next to the manziers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Geez Partial - you're bringing this thread out of the old cellar? You must be getting bored.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

? HOFer
    Yeah i've got nothing going on and my buddy Joel is buying his lady a ring sometime this week, so I figured i'd see what this thread said.

Have your buddy get the cubic zirconium ring, then have them watch "Blood Diamond". It'll help with the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

Captain - you are obviously single and destined to stay that way.

Tony,

Here is what I know. Gold/Precious Stones are at least priced at triple keystone. What this means, is that if the jeweler paid $100, then he will sell it for $300. Silver is priced typically at 5 times keystone. Paid $100 then sell for $500. Silver prices are actually quite high right now, so the margin to the end consumer may be suffering a bit, but it is probably no lower than 4 times keystone for non-sale merchandise.

Ok. The larger the jewelry store, the larger the markup. Mall stores and overhead are EXTREMELY expensive. Zales typically offers lower quality stones at the same price as a local jewelers quality stones. Jewelers are like loan sharks. You don't really know if you can trust them, most of the time you cannot. Zales, located in the center court of a decent mall probably pays about $15,000 a month in rent, plus a percentage of sales above a certain "target" amount. When you look at it that way, combined with the sales person who probably works on "straight commission" - good sales person, bad deals, or on a "base salary plus commission" - crummy sales person with little experience & no authority to make deals, getting a "good price" at the mall is going to be difficult.

My advice to your "friend" is to skip the mall store in favor of a small town jeweler that has been in his small town location since time began. Have him talk with his mother, grandmother, aunt, next door neighbor or a friend for a referral. He'll pay about the same or just slightly more than the mall store, get better service and some basis to believe he got what he paid for.

Negotiation is just that, negotiation. It is almost pointless in my opinion, because how do you know that you're getting the stone you think you're getting? Can you look at it and see that it is the clarity/color that you think it is? What keeps the jeweler from swapping the stone in the back room? In my experience, 50 years in business in the same location keeps the jeweler from doing that, and not much else.

Finally, a 50% off sale in the jewelry business approximates the mark up that you pay for most other consumer goods in the marketplace. A 50% off sale is a gimmick designed to move inventory that is becoming stale.

Hope this helps, PM me with details if you wish, and I'll help you further.
    I have to agree with this one. Better yet, get out of the country and you will get great prices on precious stones. It seems that only in America is this stuff expensive. Jewelry is one of the biggest rip offs there is. I bought my wife a sterling silver ring with a 1.5 ct tanzenite, .75 ct of diamonds and opal in it for less than $100. All of it is authentic, I had it checked. The reason it was so cheap? First, the sterling silver setting. Second, I didn't buy it here! The was appraised at $1500 by the jewelers here.
    "Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”
    – Benjamin Franklin

? HOFer
    What country has such cheap diamonds?

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan
    have them watch "Blood Diamond". It'll help with the mood.

How disturbing that movie was!! Sounds like that stuff is still going on.

If that's the case I don't care if I ever wear a diamond again!

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker
    My advice? DONT BUY HER SHIT!!!
    Madtown,

Have you considered a career in couples counseling?

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Quote Originally Posted by pacfan
    have them watch "Blood Diamond". It'll help with the mood.

How disturbing that movie was!! Sounds like that stuff is still going on.

If that's the case I don't care if I ever wear a diamond again!
    I agree. Even after that Kimberly Process was passed, I have no doubt that wars and stuff are still being funded by diamonds.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    Madtown,

As a mtter a fact I have!

I will be scheduling some seminars throughtout the US. It will be called "Why the hell should she be happy when you are working double shifts to pay off that damn ring" conference. I promise it to be an inspirational hour filled with laughs, food and instructions on how to find someone who loves you for you and not for what you buy them.

There will also be a mini session on how to turn your testicles into diamonds for those who insist on sacrifcing themselves, I mean getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonpackfan
    Madtown,

As a mtter a fact I have!

I will be scheduling some seminars throughtout the US. It will be called "Why the hell should she be happy when you are working double shifts to pay off that damn ring" conference. I promise it to be an inspirational hour filled with laughs, food and instructions on how to find someone who loves you for you and not for what you buy them.

There will also be a mini session on how to turn your testicles into diamonds for those who insist on sacrifcing themselves, I mean getting married.
    Sounds interesting, Madtown.

Since I have been married for over 25 years, would you be willing to examine my testicles, uh, I mean, DIAMONDS, and give an estimate about their worth?