Mathematically, you’re at a disadvantage if you insist on paying now because there is simply less now to spend.
I'd say it depends. Whether he's on the roster or not, David Bahktiari counts $19M against the cap next year because they kicked his money down the road. If you can keep contract money as nonguaranteed money (salary) vs. a bonus you can just cut that player with no cap hit.
The danger of pushing everything out indefinitely is that eventually players retire, get very injured, or their contract simply expire, and void years, money kicked forward, etc. all becomes due, and you no longer have that money to put towards your current roster.

The only time I'd advocate doing that is the situation in 2021 where the team was obviously very good (a legit SB contender) and you wanted to run it back. After you do that, you have to take your medicine to get your cap right though.

I agree with most of what you're saying, to some degree.

I don't believe in 3rd contracts for most players,
I think you have to be very wary of players who turn 29 when their contract ends.
I think you need to layer your contracts with salary and guaranteed money so you have flexibility to renegotiate or cut players to get cap flexibility while not incurring huge cap hits like the Rodgers or Bahktiari contracts.

You're better off in most cases letting so-so players walk to draft someone younger, cheaper, and with upside to raise the floor of that side of the ball. It's a young man's game, signing Cobbs and Lazards and Campbells to pricey deals is a bad idea.