Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

My gut keeps telling me that Gute is going to draft Chop Robinson in R1. The Saleh defense uses smaller guys at end/edge than Pettine/Barry did, and he fits the mold. Enagbare will start the year on the PUP, Preston is getting old and pricey, and Brenton Cox got no meaningful snaps.
    I'd prefer Dejean if he's there, but I could absolutely see them taking a pass rusher.

If the Packers end up taking Bortolini, and the Vikes take that nose tackle kid Mike Stroni, you'd have epic battles between Bortolini and Minny's Stroni.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    My gut keeps telling me that Gute is going to draft Chop Robinson in R1. The Saleh defense uses smaller guys at end/edge than Pettine/Barry did, and he fits the mold. Enagbare will start the year on the PUP, Preston is getting old and pricey, and Brenton Cox got no meaningful snaps.
    I'd prefer Dejean if he's there, but I could absolutely see them taking a pass rusher.
    Yeah I think this is a stretch. Packers have edges that are proven pass rushers and they have 3 guys already in the rotation. they also have guys like Karl Brooks and Colby Wooden that also showed some ability as late round rookies. now they might be a more interior type guys, but also I haven't heard anything about a defensive coordinator preferring smaller guys over bigger guys when it comes to effectiveness.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Offensive Line after the Combine.

I think the Packers lack depth and overall talent across the offensive line. Injuries have limited the offensive line from being above average in the NFL. They showed some improvement throughout the season and right now I would say they are better at run blocking then pass protection. I really don't see a position beside left guard and maybe right tackle where this team couldn't improve through the draft

Troy Fautanu is a 6'4" offensive tackle from Washington that had a hell of a combine and he showed off some high level athleticism. I think what is intriguing about him is that he could play 3 or 4 different positions on the offensive line. He has flexibility and that really benefits the depth chart. He could play left tackle in a pinch but most likely would be a right tackle or an extremely athletic guard in the NFL.

Amarius Mims - He is a giant human at 6'8" 340 pounds. I can't see him playing anything but tackle in the NFL. For his size he is a fantastic athlete. His frame looks that of a super hero. The big issue with him is he doesn't have that many game snaps compared to some of these other guys. He has a lot of growth left and the potential is there for teams that can wait a year or two for him to develop. Some teams might pass on him early, but I don't know if he makes it to the Packers. I am not sure the Packers would have interest in him in the first place

Tyler Guyton - Similar size to Mims, but he might not be as athletic or as physical but he is still a freak in terms of size and athleticism. He ran a 1.76 ten yard split with a 34" vert. He also preformed pretty good in all the drills which is more important than any 40 time. Probably another right tackle and again would probably need 1 or 2 season of development.

Roger Rosengarten - more a of day 2 or day 3 prospect that I think did all he could to move into a possible day 2 guy. he ran a sub 5.0 forty and had a 1.73 ten yard split. decent jumps and decent 20 yard shuttle

Frank Crum - small school kid from Montana but anything but small at 6'8" 313. Great testing numbers with sub 5.0 forty with a 1.63 ten yard split. 7.39 three cone, and a 4.73 short shuttle. He started a lot of games, but he is small school kid that might need some work, probably a 4th or a 5th round guy.

Jackson Powers Johnson or JPJ - Big beefy center who didn't run the forty, had a 32' vert which is pretty good for a guy of his build of 6'3" 330. Not exactly the nicest guy in the world, has some decent agility but he looks stiff running in the open field which isn't something you should give a shit about.

Patrick Paul is a tackle prospect out of Houston. another monster of a human being at 6'7" 330 pounds so the fact he ran 5.13 forty with a 1.77 ten yard split is pretty good. looks to have really long legs and thick upper body. He moved pretty well in drills, day 2 kid.

Cooper Beebe is an interior lineman from Kansas St where maybe didn't underwhelm athletically at the combine, I would say he did a good job of checking all the boxes on on the sprints, his vertical jump was boarderline poor, and his bench was pretty sub standard with 20. I think he is a day 2 guy but should be one of the first 3 or 4 interior guys off the board.

When did McGinn become such a Badger homer?

Peter Bukowski
    @Peter_Bukowski

Though you're seeing him consistently in the top ~20 of mock drafts right now,
    @BobMcGinn's scouting survery didn't have Oregon C Jackson Powers-Johnson in the top 55. WVU's Zach Frazier either.

Graham Barton and Tanor Bartolini made it as iOL.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Probably don't need 3 LB, but couldn't pass on a LB named Steele Chambers.

25: R1 P25 CB Nate Wiggins - Clemson
    41: R2 P9 C Graham Barton - Duke
    57: R2 P25 LB Edgerrin Cooper - Texas A&M
    88: R3 P24 RB Jonathon Brooks - Texas
    91: R3 P27 S Javon Bullard - Georgia
    125: R4 P25 LB Cedric Gray - North Carolina
    169: R5 P33 S Jaylin Simpson - Auburn
    200: R6 P25 WR Luke McCaffery - Rice
    216: R6 P41 CB Myles Jones - Duke
    218: R6 P43 OT Andrew Coker - TCU
    244: R7 P25 LB Steele Chambers - Ohio State

That's crazy. JPJ is better than Bartolini. Frazier is recovering from a broken leg IIRC so he didn't test.
    Lying scouts? Recency bias from the combine? Medical red flags?

Why top 55? Are they at 56 & 57? Even though he's a C who can play G, I'd expect JPJ to be gone before Round 3.

Bartolini is a G, I don't think you want him airmailing snaps all over the backfield. He can learn to get better, but that's not a top 55 player. I'd be ok if they said he's top 100.

GBN Report has Bortolini listed at #112 as a Guard on their Big Board. Have him going #93 in their mock.

Why do so many of you guys get hung up on these Wisconsin boys? I usually don't like a whole lot of guys coming out of Michigan. Some, but not a lot.

And yes, sometimes I am wrong. I was wrong about Gary. But I was right about Harlan Huckleby, and I think I was mostly right about Runyon. I really don't think Blake Corum will be any good, but I think that Sainristil will be a good slot guy. And I don't think he's afraid to tackle.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Why do so many of you guys get hung up on these Wisconsin boys? I usually don't like a whole lot of guys coming out of Michigan. Some, but not a lot.

And yes, sometimes I am wrong. I was wrong about Gary. But I was right about Harlan Huckleby, and I think I was mostly right about Runyon. I really don't think Blake Corum will be any good, but I think that Sainristil will be a good slot guy. And I don't think he's afraid to tackle.
    I generally have a reflexively skeptical take on any Badger player to avoid bias. I can't think of a single Badger this year who should be a R1 or R2 player anyway. Brealon Allen is probably a R3 or R4 pick. Bartolini might be too, but R3 would be a big reach IMO. Plenty of good IOL can be found in the mid rounds.

I'm one of those guys who tends to favor Badger players, especially the ones who are actually from Wisconsin, including Braelon Allen. I don't like Bortolini, though - I'm not sure where he comes from. That dislike is based on seeing him play.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm one of those guys who tends to favor Badger players, especially the ones who are actually from Wisconsin, including Braelon Allen. I don't like Bortolini, though - I'm not sure where he comes from. That dislike is based on seeing him play.
    He's from the Green Bay area. That's about as "Packer People" as you can get.

He'd probably sign cheap, because he could just stay with his folks.

As a FA or fairly low round pick, fine. But I hope they don't draft him until the 3rd day if at all.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Packers with 3 comp picks - 5,6,7 rounds. So they have 1 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rds, 1 4th, 1 5th, 2 6ths, 2 7ths.

As a FA or fairly low round pick, fine. But I hope they don't draft him until the 3rd day if at all.
    Same here. There seem to be so many better OL this year, I'm not sure which one(s) of them I'd pass up on Day One or even Two to reach for Bortolini. You look at him and see a guy who, a lot of years probably would be a Day Two lineman, but this isn't a normal year.

Bad year to be a less-than-stellar OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers with 3 comp picks - 5,6,7 rounds. So they have 1 1st, 2 2nd, 2 3rds, 1 4th, 1 5th, 2 6ths, 2 7ths.
    I'd still bet money that we don't even draft the first night - drop back out of Round One and end up with about 13 picks again this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Time to start running analytics for the Draft Contest
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Time to start running analytics for the Draft Contest
    All safeties?

I tend to like Badger alumni partly because of the style of football for which they have historically been noted. Wisconsin is known for tough, hardnosed, groundpounding football... so if you're a player coming out of Wisconsin and being well-regarded in the draft, you've come up in a system that emphasizes the traditional, old-school, smashnouth style that (to me) is the way you win tough games. Those pounders tend to be my favorite players. So a Badger good enough to be a valuable draft pick is a player for whom I automatically have a soft spot right off the bat.

Are the vikes gonna trade all the way up to #2 and draft the LSU dude? I bet they are.