Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
His arm and his legs. Wilson had great mobility and a fairly strong arm 5 or 10 years ago but he sure didn't display much of that last year in Denver. Fields' intelligence level has been questioned, but he's probably second only to Lamar Jackson physically. And the brain thing could just as well have been either Bear coaching or media exaggeration.
It's not "media exaggeration"; just watch the man play with your own eyes. You don't need the evil media to tell you whether or not he can play football, he shows you himself, firsthand. All you need to do is watch.

It isn't even his intelligence, per se. He's reportedly a very, very bright guy. The problem appears to be that he simply can't make good decisions under pressure. That happens, sometimes. He reminds me a little of Daunte Culpepper - fantastic tool set, but when the ball is snapped, everything that happens the next 2-5 seconds happens faster than he's able to figure out. Unlike Fields, Culppepper was dumb as a brick to begin with, of course, so the comparison only goes so far, but the result is similar - the game just happens faster than they're capable of processing it.

There's no shame in it. Playing quarterback in the NFL is one of the most difficult jobs in sports, and only a tiny fraction of men ever truly master it. There are a lot of guys with enough raw athletic ability and basic intelligence that they can get by at quarterback all the way through college, but the NFL is a whole different world. I'm a really bright guy too in terms of IQ and various demonstrated abilities, and a really good athlete - football, hockey, and basketball, all sports where you need to be able to think very quickly. And they always came naturally to me. But playing quarterback?? Never in a million years could I have even dreamed of playing QB in the NFL, anymore than I could sprout wings and fly to the Moon.

I've sometimes wondered what might have happened if a guy like Fields had come up through Green Bay's system; if he'd gone a year earlier, and we'd drafted him instead of Love. Would 3 years of Tom Clements standing next to him on the sideline every Sunday watching Aaron Rodgers have made things any different? I dunno. We never will. But I think it might have been possible.