Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ask the Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    It is the beginning of Sept. and my pumpkins have turned orange. Does this mean they're done or will they still grow some? I was hoping to harvest them in about 6 weeks, but don't want them to rot on the vine either. This is soooo my last year for pumpkins.
    I'm guessing you could find out here:

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/

Hey, thanks! I had no idea you could store them that long.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro66
    I don't know the answer there MJ. I planted two apple trees last month. I water them on the schedule the instructions say to and there holding there own. Its been hot this past week and there lookin kinda puny. I hope they make it. This is also my first year planting and tending to a garden. Its been an experience to say the least. But I'm learing This is a cool thread though.
    jeffro, i've got a buddy that has quite a large orchard. he has been farming apples since he was knee high to a grasshopper. if you have any specific questions about your apple trees let me know and i might be able to get you answers from an expert.

Remember, if you're gonna do any planting, now is the best time for trees and shrubs and a great time for perennials as well. The garden centers also have their sales on now so you can get decent discounts before seasons end.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

? HOFer
    I am thinking about getting a plant to grow in my room. I was thinking citrus is thats possible. Any thoughts on this issue?

That's a perennial, right?

It was 80 here earlier this week. Today it snowed briefly. But not cold enough to take out the vegetable garden - yet.

I'm still hoping to get a few more things out of the garden. For some reason, I'm still getting cantaloupes and if we do get frost, there'll be lots of fried green tomatoes at my house.

Partial, if you want citrus, you have to make sure you have a good flourescent light source for it or you may run into problems in December. If you want something you can ignore a little bit there is a plant called a ZZ plant that I have and I water it maybe once a month and have it where it doesn't get a whole lot of light and the thing loves me for the neglect.

? HOFer
    I'm still hoping to get a few more things out of the garden. For some reason, I'm still getting cantaloupes and if we do get frost, there'll be lots of fried green tomatoes at my house.

Partial, if you want citrus, you have to make sure you have a good flourescent light source for it or you may run into problems in December. If you want something you can ignore a little bit there is a plant called a ZZ plant that I have and I water it maybe once a month and have it where it doesn't get a whole lot of light and the thing loves me for the neglect.

is it possibly to grow citrus fruit in wisconsin indoors during the winter and outdoors during the summer?

That would take grow lights, heaters, and more skill than what I possess.

? HOFer
    That would take grow lights, heaters, and more skill than what I possess.
    oh, skip that. How about a good smelling plant?

You could try some herbs if you have a sunny window. Mint smells good and makes a nice tea, or you could try thyme, oregano or basil. Rosemary smells great, but I have never been able to keep it alive so couldn't tell you how to do it. Otherwise you can look to some of the indoor flowers...and I saw some ornamental peppers at the garden center today that looked pretty cool but they didn't have a scent that I noticed.

Now that you have me thinking about this, you might try lavendar, calming kinda cool looking and your gf will likely love the smell. If you give it enough light it will bloom, but if it doesn't, the leaves smell great too.

Senior Rat Veteran Green Bud Packer's Avatar
    if you have a window with southern/western exposure you could grow a lemon tree indoors/outdoors in wi.i've seen it done.
    Think I'll roll another number for the road.
    I HATE everything about the Minnesota Vikings

Not sure if this belongs in here....but here goes..

Hunter finds 2,200 pot plants in woods
    Authorities destroyed nearly $4.5 million in marijuana plants in western Kenosha County today after a hunter spotted the crop and called law enforcement.

There were 2,250 cultivated plants, some nearly 7-feet-tall growing in a wooded area that had been cleared, according to Lt. Harvey Hedden, Kenosha County Controlled Substance Unit field supervisor.

A tent, propane cook stove and makeshift tarp shelter with kerosene heaters used to dry the marijuana were found at the site, and it's likely the growers spent a considerable amount of time there, Hedden said.

The crop had just begun to be harvested and it's possible the suspects were frightened away by the hunter that came upon the operation. Authorities did not say exactly when the hunter came upon the plants.

Hedden would not give the exact location of the plot, which was the largest number of cultivated plants ever seized in a single site in Kenosha County.

Wow. Wonder if he did his own little harvest before calling authorities...

Wow. Wonder if he did his own little harvest before calling authorities...
    I was thinking that exact same thing !!!

Has anyone planted anything for this season? I added another section to my garden but haven't put anything in there yet...

Our season starts late here in south central Alaska and this spring was cold so things are just starting to really go.....but when they get rolling with all the sunlight it can get crazy. My wife and I have our usual greens and lettuce/cabbage (god I love arugula), peas, beans, spuds, strawberry and raspberry patch, carrots and radish. Then there are the flower/plant beds.....my wifes domain. I love it.