4. Luna
5. Spiritualized
6. Mercury Rev
7. Spoon
8. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
9. Joy Division/New Order
10.Secret Machines
Who the fuck are all those?
Great bands. When you stop listening to corporate rock or whatever else the marketing genius force feed down your throat, you will discover a multitude of great artists.
Tyrone, I appreciate the variety of your list. I checked out songs from "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective" and its not my cup of tea, but I'm interested in checking out the rest of them (I have heard/ heard of Joy Division/New Order and they are pretty mainstream). I do have to take a bit of offense to your inference that we are annoyingly mainstream with our musical tastes. This is a "favorites" thread, not necessarily a "what bands do you like that fly under the radar" thread. As a manager of a rock band in Minneapolis, I know exactly what you're talking about (anti-corporate angst) and could probably throw a page of bands that aren't "corporate rock" or "market-influenced" bands your way, most of which you probably wouldn't recognize either. Any single person that listens to the radio is spoon-fed what they hear. Some of the biggest stations in Minneapolis are owned by ABC/Disney and they have very defined playlists. To play devils advocate, the reason that bands like that are on radio is because they actually make some pretty good music that appeals across many markets. A blessing and a curse perhaps, but most musicians want to get paid for what they do.

The double-edged sword of being a starving artist--starve with your craft and scrape to make a living, or craft to the masses and survive. There's nothing wrong with either directions, as both are applying their craft.

tyler