Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DOH! a deer, a fema....errmm 2 male deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    Do the deer act differently during deer hunting season?
    Not really... from my perspective. They tend to not be very aware the first day or two (like it's a complete surprise that some orange-wearing human is trying to blow a hole through them), but tend to get more jumpy after hunters kick around the brush for a day or two. (We don't hunt from tree stands where I hunt.)

my brother told me they start acting nervous even before the hunters hit the woods. maybe he is just bullshitting himself.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    I like to kill deer, it is not as easy as a lot of your non-hunters make it seem. It is bit tough just to walk up to one and shoot it.
    Sure, something foreign to them has just invaded their habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Not really... from my perspective. They tend to not be very aware the first day or two (like it's a complete surprise that some orange-wearing human is trying to blow a hole through them), but tend to get more jumpy after hunters kick around the brush for a day or two. (We don't hunt from tree stands where I hunt.)
    Its hard to hunt from tree stands if you don't have any trees, that is assuming that you hunt in the Dakotas?

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    yes deer do act differently during hunting season. mostly because they are looking for a mate. he'd rather get a piece than fear someone packing a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    yes deer do act differently during hunting season. mostly because they are looking for a mate. he'd rather get a piece than fear someone packing a piece.
    wait a minute. I thought rutting season was in the spring. ARe you screwing out of season?

And Nutz, thanks for your helpful insight - "the deer act different when hunters have invaded the woods." Now think a little harder: do you believe they anticipate hunting season because of memories? My brother hunts all the time and says they do. Are you calling my brother a liar?

I like to kill deer, it is not as easy as a lot of your non-hunters make it seem. It is bit tough just to walk up to one and shoot it.
    Unless you come across this deer:

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Its hard to hunt from tree stands if you don't have any trees, that is assuming that you hunt in the Dakotas?
    North Dakota doesn't have a lot of trees, but hunting from a tree stand blows. If I had to do that, I don't think I'd even hunt--especially if it was for those puny whitetails.

Are you calling my brother a liar?

Well, he is your brother.

Does a deer shit in the woods?

They seem to prefer the sidewalk.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I have an old buddy that once shot a dead deer after our lunch break nap.

He actually thought that he caught a deer napping and decided to nail it in it's sleep.Something very wrong about that as I think of that now.

It was dead and didn't, couldn't, wouldn't get deader. So I guess I'm alright with that.

He's a very solid - very good friend of about 50 years now. I attended his 60th Birthday party in Fredericton on Oct. 12th.

I will never forget that funny moment in our times together that feature dozens of very funny hunting experiences when we were rerally into that. We have entertained many a man with our stories and in the company of a few coolies. Stories that almost kill you with laughter.

I suppose I will take anoter Buck again before I die if I can locate a large one in the rut and get the fever, but I have lost my killer instinct and I hate the way I feel after a kill.

I don't sleep well for the week after shooting a deer.

Cripes!

I'm the original Nature Boy anyway and love all animals.

Something alive is too precious now that so many animals are under pressure/stress to just remain on this torn planet.

Hunting does have it's advantages to a herd tough if the population gets to large for some domaines.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    North Dakota doesn't have a lot of trees, but hunting from a tree stand blows. If I had to do that, I don't think I'd even hunt--especially if it was for those puny whitetails.
    Very rarely do I hunt from a tree stand, but we have some heavy timber and a relatively young forest, family had it logged several years back so their are a lot of briars and thorny patches and thick ground cover that makes still hunting a bit of a problem. Wisconsin Whitetails are retarded, they don't know how to respond to rattling, bleats, grunts or anything of the sort. So this upcoming season the farmer that leases our land decided to plant corn in a field at the bottom of the ridge, it is a dear haven so I set up a stand for the first time in 8 years. I sat their two weekends ago and although I had a good view above the corn I had a hard time spotting the deer that started feeding at about 5:15, the light was getting bad and those little critters blend in quite well with corn. Now I am even more elevated and hopefully the corn will be picked. I will hunt it in the morning and afternoon if the wind is right, otherwise I have a nice spot to still hunt and a couple of other patches that might stir up some deer.

Harlan your brother is a bit off his rocker, deer are not that smart, their memory is at best short term, deer are skidish that time of year because the rut is still going on in most places, so Doe's are fearing a raping, and bucks are very tired out chasing those hussies around all the time. The Whitetail deer is still a very mysterious animal, so I assume nothing when it comes to those animals that frustrate me the most.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27
    He actually thought that he caught a deer napping and decided to nail it in it's sleep.
    don't you want to die in your sleep? I bet he looked peaceful as he expired!

Harlan, the rut is in the fall, not spring. depending on the area you live, usually early to mid november. you've watched bambi too many times.

I believe these elk were near Monticello, Utah. One of them is dead but these guys were able to cut the horns of the dead one and free the other.
    I also would hope they drugged the live one otherwise I would swear that that is a tame elk since it's neither running off, or charging the DNR guys.

The Bottom Line:
    Formally Numb, same person, same views of M3

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I went to High School in Horicon where it is a common misconception that it is good for Goose hunting. Although the town and marsh are absolutely loaded with geese most of the year, geese are somehow smart enough to stay away for the entire season.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.