Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Christian Artwork Banned in High School Art Class

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    Scott, i know people joke, but are you LDS?

Uhhh, no. Usually the beer gives me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    OK, but then you get into the gray areas. What if kids want to form a prayer club. Are they allowed to put up anouncements for it?
    There are things like that all over the school. All schools in this area run FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes.) People won't care if you don't shove the issue in their face.

Now, there are tons of double-standards in the school system because Christianity is the dominant religion in this country. What if a kid drew the crescent and star on his paper and quoted the Qur'an? There'd be mass outrage, few people would be flocking to his side.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    I am sorry, maybe I haven't read all the rulings of the past 50 years or so about religion in public schools by the supreme court, but I couldn't find any rulings that prohibited students from expressing their religion or praying in school on an individual basis.
    OK, but then you get into the gray areas. What if kids want to form a prayer club. Are they allowed to put up anouncements for it?

Or the artwork. Can the kid display religious art work in class? That seems kind of inevitable. And even stickier, what about religious images in art that might be sacrilegious to some students?

I agree that the teacher should have not taken any action in this case. But I do see why the school has the position that they have to keep religion out of the schools completely, because there are all these slippery slopes.
    Here you go, this is taken from the same web address

But, you can still pray
    Through their rulings, the court has also defined some times and conditions under which public school students may pray, or otherwise practice a religion.

"at any time before, during or after the school-day," as long as your prayers do not interfere with other students.
    In meetings of organized prayer or worship groups, either informally or as a formal school organization -- IF -- other student clubs are also allowed at the school.
    Before eating a meal at school -- as long as the prayer does not disturb other students.
    In some states, student-led prayers or invocations are still delivered at graduations due to lower court rulings. However, the Supreme Court's ruling of June 19, 2000 may bring this practice to an end.
    Some states provide for a daily "moment of silence" to be observed as long as students are not encouraged to "pray" during the silent period

I rarely defend the religious right. In fact the religious right might be the reason why I choose to vote against the republic party, but anyways, the issue is with the local governments and school boards and their ability to recognize balance and equal treatment.

Tyrone, you are arguing that the verse on the Landscape is what is at issue, you consider the written verse as preaching, that this reference to the verse, not the actual verse itself is infringing on other students. Again, I say we have now turned into a very nit picky nation of easily offended people if a painting done by a high school student infringes on others rights.

ya, I get that. the question is the extent that they can PROMOTE their prayer group.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    ya, I get that. the question is the extent that they can PROMOTE their prayer group.
    They have the same rights to promote their after school group as any other non commitment activity taking place after school. Most likely privately funded flyers by the students of the group. It can not be sponsored by a church and a religious figure such a priest or a pastor is not allowed to mediate the group.

I middle school in the Waukesha area actually rents out their gym to a church every Sunday. Is long as they would be willing to do the same for all groups it is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    For those that don't understand why Utah is like living in a different country.

Religious education programs designed for secondary students are called “seminaries." In areas with large concentrations of Latter-day Saints such as Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming in the United States, and in some places in Alberta, Canada, instruction is offered on a released time basis during the normal school day in meetinghouses, or facilities built specifically for seminary programs, adjacent to public schools. Released-time seminary classes are generally taught by full-time employees. In areas with smaller LDS populations early-morning or home-study seminary programs are offered. Early-morning seminary classes are held daily before the normal school day in private homes or in meetinghouses and are taught by volunteer teachers. Home-study seminary classes are offered where geographic dispersion of students is so great that it is not feasible to meet on a daily basis. Home study seminary students study daily, but meet only once a week as a class. Home study classes are usually held in connection with weekly youth fellowship activities on a weekday evening.

The first seminary was established in 1912 adjacent to Granite High School in Salt Lake City, Utah, under the supervision of Joseph F. Merrill.(View Image) Thomas J. Yates was the first seminary teacher.
    My sister in law taught one of these and probably still does. Five a.m.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Are you LD?

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    They have the same rights to promote their after school group as any other non commitment activity taking place after school.
    I can see some potential problems with this. Although judged case by case.

Hari, hari, Krishna krishna, krishna, hari krishna, hari krishna.

I don't think schools should be recruiting grounds for religion.

Man, you should of seen the kick in Edgar Allen Poe.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

they must have a lot of oldies stations down there for the retirees

That kid should just draw some Veggie Tales, 'cuz Veggie Tales are KEWL!!!!

Are you LD?

I had VD once.

Are you LD?
    OK, are you ADD or OCD???

I'm Bi-curious. That means i'd like to try sleeping with two women, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Are you LD?
    OK, are you ADD?

That's a excellent question. I'm probably closer to......HEY, THERE GOES A SQUIRREL..........what were we talking about again?

I'm Bi-curious. That means i'd like to try sleeping with two women, right?
    Your mom and the "vagina" you make out of the crook of your elbow don't count, so I think you'll have to remain forever curious.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    ...and the "vagina" you make out of the crook of your elbow don't count, so I think you'll have to remain forever curious.
    Never tried that one.
    C.H.U.D.