View Poll Results: What is the worst crime?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Child Molestation

23 88.46%
  • Drug Trafficing

0 0%
  • Rape

0 0%
  • Wife Abuse

1 3.85%
  • Other

2 7.69%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No Joke Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    Idle, interesting thoughts and it is why it was on the list. I, howver, feel, that a child has nowhere to turn, yet a spouse has had education and can indeed find support.

Still, it is a fine line. Thanks for your contribution!
    I voted for child molestation. Idle threat does bring up some good points concerning spouse abuse. I just wanted to respond to Tarlam's post by saying generally speaking education goes out the window in cases of spousal abuse. For any of us that have never experience spouse abuse the answers seem very clear cut on what the victim should do. It's far from clear cut for the person experiencing the cycle of violence. They may know where to go to find support but often times the fear is so great they won't ask for help, not to mention most have very little confidence and their self esteem has been shredded. I've worked with victims of domestic violence and it's very difficult to understand their thought process.

I do agree though that when an adult is the victim they generally know where to turn and that there is help available...... a child may not even be aware of that.

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, when a child comes forward with a claim of abuse, he/ receives a presumption of innocence that leads to quick investigation and assistance.

An abused spouse will often face disbelief from family members that will reinforce her humiliation and feeling of worthlessness, which can prolong the pattern of abuse. An abused spouse is effectivley a slave of her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idle_threat

An abused spouse will often face disbelief from family members that will reinforce her humiliation and feeling of worthlessness, which can prolong the pattern of abuse.
    May be true in some cases, but most often family members are aware/suspicious long before the victim admits to the problems....if ever. They either don't want to get involved in a "family matter" or do ask questions and are met with the "I had an accident" answer to explain injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idle_threat
    An abused spouse is effectivley a slave of her husband.
    Absolutely!

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Yes, the disbelief is often willful.

People often refuse to believe what they simply do not want to believe.