Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
You're right on this one....... we spend too much on a war we shouldn't be in.......it will raise the deficit
I am for scaling back operations in Iraq at a responsible pace. The strategic judgments on that I'd defer to the military commanders in the theater.

If they agree boots on the ground are better served in Afghanistan (or home), then great, phase down and withdraw.
Military spending as a share of gdp is expected to grow by $75 billion in fiscal 2008, enough to neutralize a 0.3 percent decline in gdp. Dick Cheney was secretary of defense for Bush 41; just before the 1992 election he engineered a big run-up in outlays, as the military restocked following the first Gulf War. Is the Pentagon up to that trick again? I'd be astonished if it were not.
Look, I'm in favor of controlling ALL spending, not just military spending. There are some practical things that will have to be addressed (over the next few years).
-Cost effective replacements for the B-52 which is beyond ancient technology
-Replacements for the F-15 and F-16 which were started in the 1970s
and that's just for starters.

Reshaping how we fight future conflicts politically and militarily will greatly affect this. If we citizens do nothing re: staying informed on these topics and keeping on our Sens. and Reps. in DC then we deserve what happens to us. We can blame DC all we want regardless of who is in office. But if we as a nation have a passive approach on this and only get involved when it reaches crisis stage, then we have no one to pissed off at except ourselves.