Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this the final straw?

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    It's not hypocrisy and she was accused of abuse of power. If he stun gunned his stepson, she should have had him arrested. Immediately. They're not immune to that you know. Were the police called in that instance?

She does not get to have people fired for personal revenge, that breaks the public trust. It's what she's accused of. You just don't like it because Palin did it, rather than a democrat.
    The guy ADMITTED he did it.

What if the liberal Democrat female governor of Michigan, for example, did something like Palin did? Are you actually gooing to claim you wouldn't be diametrically on the opposite side?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    It should be pointed out that some of the actions of the trooper are based on hearsay (I think the tasering is in this group), and also I think the supervisor who is referred to as being 'fired' was actually reassigned. Finally, the one thing that seems to have merit in the case is that Todd Palin apparently used the governor's office to pursue getting the cop fired. How that actually worked, and what the evidence for it consists of, I am uncertain.
    That is the crux of the finding in the case, not the Monegan firing.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    It should be pointed out that some of the actions of the trooper are based on hearsay (I think the tasering is in this group), and also I think the supervisor who is referred to as being 'fired' was actually reassigned. Finally, the one thing that seems to have merit in the case is that Todd Palin apparently used the governor's office to pursue getting the cop fired. How that actually worked, and what the evidence for it consists of, I am uncertain.
    That is the crux of the finding in the case, not the Monegan firing.
    No, they are both part of the same case - thus two findings, including:

Governor Palin's firing of Commissioner Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her constitutional and statutory authority to hire and fire executive branch department heads.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

And yet she was still unanimously found to have abused her power. That finding came from the threat, not the actual firing.

Come on, you can say it. Sarah screwed up.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

And yet she was still unanimously found to have abused her power. That finding came from the threat, not the actual firing.

Come on, you can say it. Sarah screwed up.
    I already did, councilor (it's low level). Now let's hear you give an honest evaluation of the real significance of this - or are you just going to continue baiting.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Of course you know the real significance of this depends on how and where the story spreads and how it plays out in the media.

I found it through a sideline link in USAToday to a blog in the Anchorage paper, but I haven't looked to see where else the story hit this morning. If the media leads with Palin's wrongdoing just to get away from stories on the failing markets, she has a problem. The fact that the finding came on a Friday doesn't help her and this gives Obama a nice bit of ammo in case she gets too nasty. I think McCain may have seen this coming because after the articles on his spurring on the anger in his crowds at rallies broke, he's backed off from that and was booed yesterday for defending Obama against the rage.

The importance of this event truly depends on how the folks who have somehow gotten this far in an election cycle without forming an opinion take to this news. But considering that they've already let the dogs out, it sure doesn't help.

Of course you know the real significance of this depends on how and where the story spreads and how it plays out in the media.

I found it through a sideline link in USAToday to a blog in the Anchorage paper, but I haven't looked to see where else the story hit this morning. If the media leads with Palin's wrongdoing just to get away from stories on the failing markets, she has a problem. The fact that the finding came on a Friday doesn't help her and this gives Obama a nice bit of ammo in case she gets too nasty. I think McCain may have seen this coming because after the articles on his spurring on the anger in his crowds at rallies broke, he's backed off from that and was booed yesterday for defending Obama against the rage.

The importance of this event truly depends on how the folks who have somehow gotten this far in an election cycle without forming an opinion take to this news. But considering that they've already let the dogs out, it sure doesn't help.
    Well, that was a really nice political evaluation. But I was asking about it's actual significance. It's obvious you think it's an abuse of power, but where do you rank it? What do you compare it with? How often has the Governor in your state or any other state done something similar to this? Do you know? Did you hear of it? Were you outraged?

I'm not outraged because of what Palin did. I've already told you that my opinion of the significance of this is worthless because I already didn't like her when I learned this piece of information. What does have value is the significance that those who haven't already formed a strong opinion of her attach to it, and the significance that her supporters see.

And what you see as baiting is really just me trying to get Tex or Sheep or someone to admit that a Republican isn't perfect and screwed up.

So now it's "she screwed up, but what governor hasn't, therefore it's not important?"

So now it's "she screwed up, but what governor hasn't, therefore it's not important?"
    At the level of this particular issue, yes, you're exactly right.

Final Straw?? You wish
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    Quote Originally Posted by skin
    What is there to talk about? She acted properly and legally.

Except for that finding of abuse of power, sure. The Monegal firing was legal, her trying to force him to fire a trooper for her personal gain was not.
    She did something "illegal"? Even your own article doesn't say that. She "forced" the guy to fire the ex-brother-in-law? I don't think she is even accused of that. Suggested it/inquired about it/whatever, I ask you AGAIN, what's wrong with that? The creep stun-gunned his young step-son! That means NOTHING to you? How hypocritical can you get? You'd be yapping incessantly about how bad that is--iif the liberal/conservative positions were reversed here. Deny that!
    If she had evidence that the guy had stun-gunned his step-son, shouldn't she have reported that to the police so he could be arrested? How would getting him fired stop the abuse of his step-son?